Moode Forum

Full Version: Guide to Album Coverart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am looking for a guide how to setup the album cover art , so that it will be recognized by MoOde ?

Background: I am using iTunes to rip CD's and keep my library sorted. In iTunes all tracks and albums have a cover, but it looks like iTunes has a couple of release in the past the way how it stores the covers: they are stored in a seperate and deeply nested path.

I now have the choice to re-add all covers to the tracks or just one file per album for MoOde only - which I currently would prefer (While I am looking for a really good library tool on macOS -; any tips ? )
(04-05-2019, 12:50 PM)UpsiUps Wrote: [ -> ]I am looking for a guide how to setup the album cover art , so that it will be recognized by MoOde ?

Background: I am using iTunes to rip CD's and keep my library sorted. In iTunes all tracks and albums have a cover, but it looks like iTunes has a couple of release in the past the way how it stores the covers: they are stored in a seperate and deeply nested path.

I now have the choice to re-add all covers to the tracks or just one file per album for MoOde only - which I currently would prefer (While I am looking for a really good library tool on macOS -; any tips ? )

Add the cover art as “cover.jpg” to the album’s folder, then in the configuration > library > library display options > cover search priority choose “cover image file”. That way moode will use the file if it exists, if not it uses any embedded art.

I don’t know of a great library management tool to automate generating the cover images and it usually requires eyeballing the different choices from an image search to see which one looks best. Keep in mind that while 600x600 will look acceptable on a 1:1 pixel ratio device many modern devices have > 72dpi displays and need higher resolution art in order for it to appear sufficiently sharp, I usually look for 1000x1000 as a minimum while also trying to keep the image size < 300k so it loads quickly.
(04-05-2019, 07:24 PM)swizzle Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2019, 12:50 PM)UpsiUps Wrote: [ -> ]...

Add the cover art as “cover.jpg” to the album’s folder, then in the configuration > library > library display options > cover search priority choose “cover image file”. That way moode will use the file if it exists, if not it uses any embedded art.

I don’t know of a great library management tool to automate generating the cover images and it usually requires eyeballing the different choices from an image search to see which one looks best. Keep in mind that while 600x600 will look acceptable on a 1:1 pixel ratio device many modern devices have > 72dpi displays and need higher resolution art in order for it to appear sufficiently sharp, I usually look for 1000x1000 as a minimum while also trying to keep the image size < 300k so it loads quickly.

Thanks for the response and clarification. With 1000x1000 my SONOS system has trouble to display them. There I think teh max is around 500x500 or the mentioned 600x600
I think long term I will go away from iTunes as it is no longer a strong music library supporter - more a "we sell nearly al - some essential might be missedl" shop. Until now it was good enough for ripping and automatic organization of the library. Anyhow, I now know how to add the missing art work
this looks a bit techy but might do what you need quite easily once setup. Looks like it can resize images too

http://beets.io/

https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/latest/p...lbum%20art
(04-18-2019, 02:12 PM)mousemat Wrote: [ -> ]this looks a bit techy but might do what you need quite easily once setup. Looks like it can resize images too

http://beets.io/

https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/latest/p...lbum%20art

I discovered beets only recently but I'm warming to it quickly. Just last weekend I ran it on a subset of my collection to see what it does with metatags.

As you say, it is a bit techy with all the plugins and parameters it make accessible to the user, but that's why I like it. (And it's written in Python, which I'm comfortable with).

As for automatic cover art discovery, don't overlook @swizzle's observation

Quote:and it usually requires eyeballing the different choices from an image search to see which one looks best

I was using different ripping tools but I often was offered more than one candidate image for an album with the default choice not being the right one.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks all - I will have a look on it. Currently I found also that some Tags are in a bad shape too. Now I am using Picard which seems to work very well. I only have near 10.000 titles, so I  assume the tool will do the job.

While we have this discussion, which tools are you using to get your libraries organized ?
(05-03-2019, 07:43 PM)UpsiUps Wrote: [ -> ]While we have this discussion, which tools are you using to get your libraries organized ?

I am using dbPoweramp for copying, MP3tag for finetuning (if data from internet source are not satisfying) and coverart. Cover I use normally square ones below 1 MB size. I use iTunes on my Windows notebook together with iTunes library toolkit (for updating iTunes DB) only outside my home otherwise moode
(05-04-2019, 08:32 AM)IT-Andy52 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2019, 07:43 PM)UpsiUps Wrote: [ -> ]While we have this discussion, which tools are you using to get your libraries organized ?

I am using dbPoweramp for copying, MP3tag for finetuning (if data from internet source are not satisfying) and coverart. Cover I use normally square ones below 1 MB size. I use iTunes on my Windows notebook together with iTunes library toolkit (for updating iTunes DB) only outside my home otherwise moode

Thanks for your insides. As MacOS User I am always looking around what else is available. When I remember right, then dbPoweramp was a great CD ripper ( also under macOS) but not a complete organizer for the iTunes library. My challenge is, that I also need iTunes to ensure my music is copied to the iPhone and other iPods. Now you mentioned the toolkit, which might work exactly for that  - just MSDos/Win only Sad

So I will look around further to get my special animal -  but again , thanks for sharing!
(05-03-2019, 07:43 PM)UpsiUps Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks all - I will have a look on it. Currently I found also that some Tags are in a bad shape too. Now I am using Picard which seems to work very well. I only have near 10.000 titles, so I  assume the tool will do the job.

While we have this discussion, which tools are you using to get your libraries organized ?

I'm also using MacOS. I still keep my library organised in iTunes, but on a Netatalk share delivered by Raspberry Pi. 

New music are either ripped in iTunes, or using Abcde on Raspberry Pi and then entered into iTunes using the special import folder (if you're not familiar with this functionality; I urge you to take a look). 

Tags are maintained in iTunes. I have installed AtomicParsley on Raspberry Pi for this purpose, but not gotten around to trying it out. 

Covers are mostly collected from http://www.discogs.com and embedded into the media files using iTunes. I place a copy of the cover in each album folder, for the remote software I use with moOde.

I'm not claiming that any of this is ideal, just offering up my 2 cents, and eager to learn what others are doing.
Does iTunes handle FLAC?
Pages: 1 2