Moode Forum

Full Version: Playback from NAS doesn't work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I moved from RuneAudio to moOde 5.2 and I purchased a Raspberry Pi 3B for the purpose.
I tried to connect my bluetooth speakers to the device. Connected without any issue and the pre-configured web radios played fine.
Then I tried to add SMB share (shared drive from my windows 10 PC) as I have a collection of around 3200 mp3 files there. I found that Pi could not detect my NAS by hostname. I installed winbind as following:

Code:
apt-get update

apt-get install winbind

apt-get install libnss-winbind
hosts entry in nsswitch.conf was edited to look like this
Code:
hosts: files mdns_minimal dns wins

This enabled NAS by hostname and the library started building. But the playback started behaving strangely. It would stop when I tried to play any file from NAS. Sometimes the playback started after around 5-7 after clicking on the play button, and that too played intermittently. The whole interface would stop responding and I had to ssh into pi and issue a shutdown command.

I believed winbind did something to the setup, so I burned a fresh image, didn't install wnbind this time and added the NAS using IP, but the issue persisted.
Next I suspected a fault in the Pi itself, so I installed RuneAudio, but that worked fine. So the Pi should be ok.

So back to moOde, I thought I should let the system complete the library refresh first, before attempting to play any file from NAS as by now I suspected that the library refresh clogged the system resources and caused the issue. But that didn't help either. The issue is still there, and I being no expert, am left with no option but to seek help on the forum.

Also, the last suspect was my NAS, but I think that can also be ruled out as I have another Pi 2B running RuneAudio, and a third one (Pi 2B again) running OSMC on the same netwok. The RuneAudio Pi reads from the same NAS and same shared drive whereas the OSMC system reads from the same NAS and a different shared drive. Both work perfectly.

Setup:
Raspberry Pi 3B
No I2S DAC, using bluetooth out to Sony SA-D20 speakers.
No local display connected, wifi not enabled.
Network connection through ethernet.

EDIT: Following lines in /var/log/mpd/log seem to coincide with the playback issue instances:
Code:
May 19 14:28 : player: played "http://strm112.1.fm/blues_mobile_mp3"
May 19 14:29 : player: played "http://strm112.1.fm/blues_mobile_mp3"
May 19 14:29 : player: played "http://strm112.1.fm/blues_mobile_mp3"
May 19 14:34 : player: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun

Hope there is something wrong that I did and that could be easily fixed. Request your help!

Thanks,
Jas.
Hi Jas,

Try reverting to 4.19.34 kernel or bumping to 4.19..42 and let us know if that resolves your issue.

Code:
# 4.19.42 (patch 413e9a2)
echo "y" | sudo PRUNE_MODULES=1 rpi-update 413e9a212ee40a0a2506b403915598a74a90f3ef

# 4.19.40 (moOde 5.2 default)
echo "y" | sudo PRUNE_MODULES=1 rpi-update 6cb1da772a8c56f44591bec904046b15f1126949

# 4.19.34 (moOde 5.0/1 default)
echo "y" | sudo PRUNE_MODULES=1 rpi-update 99c274691c07480762dcda91a0ebfe3c4f519307

# 4.14.98 (slightly later version than one used in moOde 4.4)
echo "y" | sudo PRUNE_MODULES=1 rpi-update a08ece3d48c3c40bf1b501772af9933249c11c5b

# cleanup
sudo rm -rf /lib/modules.bak
sudo rm -rf /boot.bak
sudo apt-get clean

sudo reboot
Thanks Tim,

I tried 4.19.42 and 4.19.34.
After updating to 4.19.42, the UI started responding, but bluetooth didn't detect my speakers.
Reverted to 4.19.34 and it worked perfectly! The system is alive again. Thanks for the help.

One last question, I am going to perform a number of tasks now (setting up IR remote, adding a display, I2S device, adding a power controller board, and finally a wooden case).
Each step would make it difficult to burn a fresh image.
So should I use it with the patch you provided or should I wait for an updated image on the website?
Thanks for confirming 4.19.34 :-) I've already added the winbind packages for upcoming 5.3 release but am prolly going to delay it until the kernel dev's sort out some of the issues in the > .34 kernels.

Btw .42 works fine with my 2 Bluetooth speakers, an Anker SoundCore and a JBL Flip 4. This is with MPD 0.20.23. None of the MPD 0.21.y releases work with Bluetooth output.

-Tim