Moode Forum

Full Version: moOde 6.0 compilation roll-up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

maybe I am thick but I can find the option to roll-up compilations no more. So now some albums are split according to track authors as several different albums... Where is this config option now?

Roberto
It's no longer needed because the new Library loader does it automatically based on the Album Artist tag.

The most common method of tagging compilation albums is to set the Album Artist tag to the string "Various Artists". Many ripping utilities do this automatically if they detect the album is a compilation. Mine doesn't (iTunes) so I just manually update the tags whenever I rip a compilation album.

-Tim
(08-13-2019, 11:47 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]It's no longer needed because the new Library loader does it automatically based on the Album Artist tag.

The most common method of tagging compilation albums is to set the Album Artist tag to the string "Various Artists". Many ripping utilities do this automatically if they detect the album is a compilation. Mine doesn't (iTunes) so I just manually update the tags whenever I rip a compilation album.

Well, anyway, this has forced me to go through the library and look for the albums that have various track artists and lack a single album artist. This is a library that was the work of several years, and (physically) decades in the making. All lossless, except for DSDs for which I have a backup of the original files/ISOs, but that have been converted to 24/88.2 or 24/176.4 depending whether they were DSD64 or higher. 

My library is now much better organised. Using Metadatics and Kid3 I also downloaded much more curated versions of many tags.

Roberto
(08-13-2019, 11:47 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]It's no longer needed because the new Library loader does it automatically based on the Album Artist tag.

-Tim

This works perfectly with my flac files! Strangely, however, it does not work with my compilation albums in mp3-format! Although I added an Album Artist tag with the string "Various Artists", these albums are split into a multitude of albums with the same album title but different artists. And they don't appear under "Various Artists" at all. I have tagged the mp3 files the same way as the flac files. Does anyone else encounter this problem?

David
(10-29-2019, 01:01 PM)David Wrote: [ -> ]

-Tim

This works perfectly with my flac files! Strangely, however, it does not work with my compilation albums in mp3-format! Although I added an Album Artist tag with the string "Various Artists", these albums are split into a multitude of albums with the same album title but different artists. And they don't appear under "Various Artists" at all. I have tagged the mp3 files the same way as the flac files. Does anyone else encounter this problem?

David

One possibility is that you may have inadvertently created more than one set of metadata on your mp3 files, one set in an ID3v1 tag and the other in an ID3v2 tag. These are mutually independent schemes. Check with a good tag editor.

Regards,
Kent
(10-29-2019, 02:38 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2019, 01:01 PM)David Wrote: [ -> ]

-Tim

David

One possibility is that you may have inadvertently created more than one set of metadata on your mp3 files, one set in an ID3v1 tag and the other in an ID3v2 tag. These are mutually independent schemes. Check with a good tag editor.

Regards,
Kent
Another possibility might be, that you mixed up "Album Artist" and "AlbumArtist". If I remeber correctly you should use "AlbumArtist" (without space) for your mp3-files.

Regards
   Duke.g
Thank you very much, Kent and Duke.g for your help. Yes, my mp3-files really had two sets of tags (I had no idea!). I'm glad I have now cleaned that up, but it wasn't the cause of the problem. And I did use "AlbumArtist" in the mp3-files. But I made a strange discovery. When opening the files with "easytag" on linux (I had been using exfalso/Quoe Libet before), the AlbumArtist field was empty! After filling it with the appropriate information with easytag and looking at the result in exfalso, it turned out, that in addition to the "AlbumArtist" field there was now a "Performer" field. This was a surprise to be, because a performer of a track does not necessarily have to be the artist of the whole album. Still, filling the "Performer" field did the trick of enabling the roll-up of compilations for my mp3-files.