Moode Forum

Full Version: Audio dropout BBC Radio 320k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Moode is installed and running well on a Pi 3 and PiDigiAMP+. I've flickflacked between Moode and Volumio over the years but still get occasional (daily) dropouts for several seconds while listening to Radio 2.

I've got 100mips from Virgin through an Ethernet cable so not exactly short of bandwidth.

Are there any logs I should check for errors or any settings I can change for improved performance?

TIA.
@Stevie D

Is this BBC Radio 2 or BB2 320K Radio 2 (which I can't get because it's geofenced). I started listening to BBC Radio 2 10 minutes ago here in Maryland. How often is "occasional"?

Regards,
Kent
Follow up. After 2+ hours of listening I got the same momentary dropout you describe. 

The mpd log shows

Code:
Apr 01 22:10 : alsa_output: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun

I don't think there's a fix. AFAIK this is on the BBC and its Internet distribution setup. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

On second thought, maybe there's a user-adjustable buffer which can be increased in size. Not a part of moOde I'm familiar with.

I caught the after-midnight (UK time) "Shift Faced" show. It's brilliant. What a boost for the folks "on the ground" who are going about doing their jobs in the face of great uncertainty.

Regards,
Kent
(04-02-2020, 12:04 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]@Stevie D

Is this BBC Radio 2 or BB2 320K Radio 2 (which I can't get because it's geofenced). I started listening to BBC Radio 2 10 minutes ago here in Maryland. How often is "occasional"?

Regards,
Kent

This is the 320k feed from the BBC but in England so not geofenced. 'Occcasional' is several times a day, I don't tend to listen to too much radio so not sure at the moment whether or not it is unique to the BBC, it doesn't seem to affect Spotify for some reason though. Where are the logs and do I have to turn on logging? I run Linux on my main PC so I can SSH in easily enough.

Regards
Steve
(04-02-2020, 10:05 AM)Stevie D Wrote: [ -> ]

Regards,
Kent

This is the 320k feed from the BBC but in England so not geofenced. 'Occcasional' is several times a day, I don't tend to listen to too much radio so not sure at the moment whether or not it is unique to the BBC, it doesn't seem to affect Spotify for some reason though. Where are the logs and do I have to turn on logging? I run Linux on my main PC so I can SSH in easily enough.

Regards
Steve

Hi, Steve.

I believe this problem lies in the BBC feed. The log message I quoted suggests it sometimes doesn't keep the pipeline filled so the decoder can work properly. I guess I'm surprised the 320K feed exhibits the same symptom. That makes me wonder if the problem actually lies upstream within the BBC production facility before the split into 320K and "regular" (reported here as 128K) feeds.

I listen to a lot of other radio stations in moOde's curated list for long periods of time and I haven't heard this same dropout with any of them. I occasionally listen to the BBC news on the hour (just like I did as a teenaged shortwave listener way back in the last century) and hadn't noticed any dropouts until your post got my attention.

All the pertinent log files can be found in the moOde filesystem at /var/log, including /var/log/syslog (and ./daemon.log), /var/log/moode.log, /var/log/mpd/log.

I'm not sure about your reference to Spotify. Do you mean you are able to listen to BBC feeds via Spotify?

Regards,
Kent
(04-02-2020, 11:32 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2020, 10:05 AM)Stevie D Wrote: [ -> ]

Regards,
Kent

Regards
Steve

Hi, Steve.

I believe this problem lies in the BBC feed. The log message I quoted suggests it sometimes doesn't keep the pipeline filled so the decoder can work properly. I guess I'm surprised the 320K feed exhibits the same symptom. That makes me wonder if the problem actually lies upstream within the BBC production facility before the split into 320K and "regular" (reported here as 128K) feeds.

I listen to a lot of other radio stations in moOde's curated list for long periods of time and I haven't heard this same dropout with any of them. I occasionally listen to the BBC news on the hour (just like I did as a teenaged shortwave listener way back in the last century) and hadn't noticed any dropouts until your post got my attention.

All the pertinent log files can be found in the moOde filesystem at /var/log, including /var/log/syslog (and ./daemon.log), /var/log/moode.log, /var/log/mpd/log.

I'm not sure about your reference to Spotify. Do you mean you are able to listen to BBC feeds via Spotify?

Regards,
Kent

That's interesting Kent, maybe it is a BBC issue.

By referring to Spotify I just meant that there appeared not to be a problem with my system. I can listen to Spotify at its highest quality and it never misses a beat.

Thanks for the input, I'll have a look at the logs periodically to see what's there but I suspect you hit the nail on the head.

All the best

Steve
I agree that this is possibly a BBC issue. It happens quite often when I'm listening to BBC Radio 3 320k, but seldom with other (Edit: non-BBC) stations.
Perhaps it is punishment for listening to Radio 2, Get BBC 6 Music on! Big Grin
(04-02-2020, 11:51 AM)jonners Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that this is possibly a BBC issue. It happens quite often when I'm listening to BBC Radio 3 320k, but seldom with other (Edit: non-BBC) stations.

Thanks Jonners, it's certainly starting to sound that way.
(04-02-2020, 12:25 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps it is punishment for listening to Radio 2, Get BBC 6 Music on! Big Grin

I did listen to 6 occasionally, must give it another go, unfortunately I suspect they're all the same.
Pages: 1 2