Moode Forum

Full Version: Upgrade from Pi3b+ / HifiBerry DAC+ to which DAC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(05-22-2020, 10:15 AM)hifimarco Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there!

I've plugged my Raspberry Pi 3b+ to my NAD amp using a HifiBerry DAC+ that I bought years ago when the whole things started and this was one of the simple ways to get started.

It works fine but looking around the internet it seems like there's been a lot of development in the DAC world and I'm wondering if it's worth for me to upgrade to a better DAC.

I'm mostly streaming Amazon Music HD via AirPlay to the Pi and don't want to spend more than $200, my wife would prefer no more than $100.

First of all, is there a notable difference with better DACs, and if you'd have to put it in percentage terms (I know it's also subjective), how much better? Like do I have 90% of what's possible with my setup?

Happy for any suggestions!

Marco

or this one
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-and-i...12836.html
You might also consider an Allo digione transport, then coaxial out to a Topping D30. I have this setup running on a Pi 3B+ powered by an ifi 5v supply into the Pi. Sounds amazing.

I got the D30 from Amazon, open box, for less than $100. It's one of ASR's top DAC's based on measurements. It sounds better to me than the Schiit Modi DAC I had before the D30.

Good Luck!
Allo Digione again, after try to find an used Subbu DAC for sale (maybe register at DIYAudio and put a "Want To Buy" ad?).
Like: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-mee...upply.html
Very musical device. Well implemented the ES9023 is a real gem. But shines only when the board is well designed and the Subbu is the best ES9023 board.
Wayyyyyy better than a D30 which I've used for... less than one week.
(05-28-2020, 04:13 PM)Lttlwing16 Wrote: [ -> ]You might also consider an Allo digione transport, then coaxial out to a Topping D30. I have this setup running on a Pi 3B+ powered by an ifi 5v supply into the Pi. Sounds amazing.

I got the D30 from Amazon, open box, for less than $100. It's one of ASR's top DAC's based on measurements. It sounds better to me than the Schiit Modi DAC I had before the D30.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! I already ordered an E30 now and hope it'll arrive rather sooner than later! From what I understand USB to the E30 should just be fine without the Digione or USBridge, especially when using a RPI4 right?
I believe the noisy USB hub that plaqued the RPI3B+ was resolved on the RPI4 by moving the ethernet port to a different bus. So, should be great, but I can't really comment as I don't have a RPI4. I love my topping d30, though, so I think you've got a winner in the DAC category!
(05-29-2020, 12:34 AM)Lttlwing16 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the noisy USB hub that plaqued the RPI3B+ was resolved on the RPI4 by moving the ethernet port to a different bus. So, should be great, but I can't really comment as I don't have a RPI4. I love my topping d30, though, so I think you've got a winner in the DAC category!

Can anyone with experience upgrading from RPi3B+ to RPi4 please comment regarding an audible improvement in sound quality with a USB DAC. Thank you.

efung

Sanskrit 10th MkII
(06-29-2020, 11:13 PM)hifinet Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2020, 12:34 AM)Lttlwing16 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the noisy USB hub that plaqued the RPI3B+ was resolved on the RPI4 by moving the ethernet port to a different bus. So, should be great, but I can't really comment as I don't have a RPI4. I love my topping d30, though, so I think you've got a winner in the DAC category!

Can anyone with experience upgrading from RPi3B+ to RPi4 please comment regarding an audible improvement in sound quality with a USB DAC. Thank you.

I have built many RPi3B/4 + DAC + headphone amp/power amp during my new products development. No, I did not experience this. I have designed my own RPi DAC. I also own BOSS and DIGIONE for evaluation and comparison with my design. My design is better due to the use of isolated analog ground plane and the ultralow noise, ultrahigh PSRR RF linear regulator LT3042. BOSS does not have isolated ground plane nor LT3042. In the other forum "sound quality" page 2, hifinet mentioned that the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MkII based on recommendations in the hardware forum - clearly better than the Boss. I looked at the picture of its PCBA in Amazon, I found the DC-DC converter on board (a black rectangular block) which possibly provides isolated analog ground.  Sanskrit 10th MkII uses AK4493 which requires OpAmp for post filtering. The OpAmp will affect the sound (audiophile calls this coloring) more than the reason that the delta-sigma DAC chips are different brands. Since BOSS uses PCM5122, it does not need output OpAmp because the DAC chip does not require OpAmp for post filtering. I ordered a Sanskrit 10th MkII from Amazon today.
Just a quick update. I got the Topping E30 and it all works fine! But if I'm really honest I can hardly tell a difference between the HifiBerry DAC+ and the Topping E30. I listened to all kinds of music on Tidal and also tried to test it by having the same songs play from Mac -> Topping E30 -> NAD receiver vs. Raspberry -> Hifiberry DAC+ -> NAD receiver and switching between the channels of the receiver. Sometimes I thought there's a more detailed and clear soundscape with the Topping E30 but then couldn't really say for sure. I think in a real blind-test I'd fail to tell which is which. Maybe my ears are too old by now or my setup is not good enough.

But anyway, that itch in the back of my head that I need this is gone now so all good :-)

efung

(06-30-2020, 10:27 AM)hifimarco Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick update. I got the Topping E30 and it all works fine! But if I'm really honest I can hardly tell a difference between the HifiBerry DAC+ and the Topping E30. I listened to all kinds of music on Tidal and also tried to test it by having the same songs play from Mac -> Topping E30 -> NAD receiver vs. Raspberry -> Hifiberry DAC+ -> NAD receiver and switching between the channels of the receiver. Sometimes I thought there's a more detailed and clear soundscape with the Topping E30 but then couldn't really say for sure. I think in a real blind-test I'd fail to tell which is which. Maybe my ears are too old by now or my setup is not good enough.

But anyway, that itch in the back of my head that I need this is gone now so all good :-)

I think you need a better audio amplifier and loudspeakers for audition if you are serious about sound quality. By the way HiFiBerry DAC+ is not as good as the BOSS.
(06-30-2020, 08:23 PM)efung Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2020, 10:27 AM)hifimarco Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick update. I got the Topping E30 and it all works fine! But if I'm really honest I can hardly tell a difference between the HifiBerry DAC+ and the Topping E30. I listened to all kinds of music on Tidal and also tried to test it by having the same songs play from Mac -> Topping E30 -> NAD receiver vs. Raspberry -> Hifiberry DAC+ -> NAD receiver and switching between the channels of the receiver. Sometimes I thought there's a more detailed and clear soundscape with the Topping E30 but then couldn't really say for sure. I think in a real blind-test I'd fail to tell which is which. Maybe my ears are too old by now or my setup is not good enough.

I think you need a better audio amplifier and loudspeakers for audition if you are serious about sound quality. By the way HiFiBerry DAC+ is not as good as the BOSS.

I guess so. I've got KEF IQ9s on a NAD C 326 BEE. So there's room for an upgrade there but to be honest I'm happy like it sounds for. The good thing is I can connect my TV also to the Topping E30 now! :-)

But also I'd love to do see a well set up blind test of 100 or so audiophiles trying to distinguish a 10k DAC from an $8 Apple DAC.
Pages: 1 2 3