Moode Forum

Full Version: CamillaDSP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sooooo I started playing around with this yesterday after purchasing a new pi. 

my plans are the following. 

1. Stream airplay audio to moode which will be connected to my Denon receiver via HDMI off a PI 4
2. Use CamillaDSP to implement my convolution DSP files I setup using AudioLense.. These convolution DSP files will be used for room correction, phase adjustment and proper integration of my subs with a crossover etc. This means I need at least 3 channels out (2 channels in) but with all things HDMI you will need to include more as your sub channel is probably on channel 3 or 5. 

I have accomplished this with Roon and love the results but do not love paying ~100 a year for Roon plus another ~180 a year for Qbuz (one of the only two supported streaming platforms in Roon)

Now with Apple music offering redbook cd quality (which is included with my VZW account for free).. It is very desirable to have an airplay streaming device with DSP built in.

Along the way I have found a few issues though.

1. I was able to setup a custom pipeline and include all 8 channels with filters on the three channels I needed.

[attachment=2417]

This works right too.. I was able to back out and applying the changes to the pipeline and verify that audio was working.. 

[attachment=2418]

Although if I change to a different configuration file (such as "quick configuration file") via the CamillaDSP configuration page or even just reboot the device. The custom pipeline configuration file I crated with 8 channels reverts back to 2..

[attachment=2419]

Setting the device back to 8 channels in the pipeline editor fixes this until you reboot or decide to change the configuration file to something else. The fact that this is happening on every reboot will be a bigger issue IMHO. 

2. Another issue I noticed was that on the Main CamillaDSP configuration page if you happen to be trying to use a 32bit float convolution file for the "quick configuration filter" option, you will get the following error

[attachment=2420]

I would assume this attribute needs to be changed to FLOAT32LE

3. The last issue I noticed was that if I use a wav file if I to choose wave as my IR type (not sure this is the right IR type for wav just assuming it is) it gives me the following error. Not only that, all other IR types give me very high distortion. If I manually log into the pi via putty and use the sox command to change them to raw they work fine.

[attachment=2421]

Technically I think I can still make this work and will continue to work around the issue until I get it at least functioning.. In the mean time I wanted to report these bugs.. 

Hope this was the right place to do it.
@kejar31 glad you already got this far!

1. Automatic patch config
This is by design default if you select a different config, it will be patched to use the default moode device configuration (and that is 2 channels).
This makes it very easy to use moode + cdsp without manually configuring the device and channels of the cdsp config.
See https://www.bitlab.nl/page_id=665 for more info about it.

Luckly that behaviour can be turned off, exactly for case like this. It is the second option from the top of the moOde camilladsp config; default device.

2. FLOAT_LE
That can be indeed a bug; the ALSA term is FLOAT_LE and FLOAT32LE. That part was changed in the 7.3 version; I will check the code. As alternative convert your IR to FLOAT64LE or S32LE (untill fixed).

3. Distortion
I'm sorry but I don't have this problem with my wave files. And I suppose you don't mean distortion by just clipping that can be prevent with the gain?
Can you post your IR files?
@kejar31

About FLOAT_LE; can indeed confirm that it is indeed a typo in the code.
(07-12-2021, 05:55 PM)bitlab Wrote: [ -> ]@kejar31 glad you already got this far!

1. Automatic patch config
This is by design default if you select a different config, it will be patched to use the default moode device configuration (and that is 2 channels).
This makes it very easy to use moode + cdsp without manually configuring the device and channels of the cdsp config.
See https://www.bitlab.nl/page_id=665 for more info about it.

Luckly that behaviour can be turned off, exactly for case like this. It is the second option from the top of the moOde camilladsp config; default device.

2. FLOAT_LE
That can be indeed a bug; the ALSA term is FLOAT_LE and FLOAT32LE. That part was changed in the 7.3 version; I will check the code. As alternative convert your IR to FLOAT64LE or S32LE (untill fixed).

3. Distortion
I'm sorry but I don't have this problem with my wave files. And I suppose you don't mean distortion by just clipping that can be prevent with the gain?
Can you post your IR files?

Thanks for the info on the Default device option, will definitely give that a try. 

How would I post my wav file to ya?.. The forum is not allowing the attachment type.
You will need to zip the file(s), upload the zip to a cloud service for example Google Drive, etc. and then either post the download link in the thread or PM the link to @bitlab.
(07-12-2021, 06:42 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]You will need to zip the file(s), upload the zip to a cloud service for example Google Drive, etc. and then either post the download link in the thread or PM the link to @bitlab.

Please see the following link for one of my wav files. Please note: I have not messed with filterlength or anything just yet.. That is one that would normally be fine in Roon on a PC with an i5 CPU the only change made was a change to mono wave (one for each channel).. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lTuV9Ak...sp=sharing
@kejar31 I am not only having problems with cdsp with the supplied IR; also REV refuses to load it..
After loading it in Audacity and exporting it to 32 float(which is also the source format) or 32SE everything went fine.
So it has something to do with the supplied wav file.

You could inpsect the headers of the files to see the difference or use other audio info tools to see what is going on.
And if you really want it fixed create an issue at the camilladsp project.
Or just use the work arround by converting it.
But that is something I leave to you ;-)
(07-12-2021, 08:35 PM)bitlab Wrote: [ -> ]@kejar31 I am not only having problems with cdsp with the supplied IR; also REV refuses to load it..
After loading it in Audacity and exporting it to 32 float(which is also the source format) or 32SE everything went fine.
So it has something to do with the supplied wav file.

You could inpsect the headers of the files to see the difference or use other audio info tools to see what is going on.
And if you really want it fixed create an issue at the camilladsp project.
Or just use the work arround by converting it.
But that is something I leave to you ;-)

Lol its not that important I can just convert them. Probably something funky with the audiolense creates the files.
Okay got everything working... couple of other issues I ran into was was not setting the chunksize to 2048 for a samplerate of 96000. Also for whatever reason double applying my sub filter, I guess in my mind one filter for each channel but that's not right when you think about it as its a mono channel.. Regardless we are all all good now woot!!! 

[attachment=2423]

[attachment=2424]

[attachment=2426]

If I can be of assistance to anyone else looking to do something similar in this thread let me know. Thanks for your help bitlab....
Pages: 1 2