Moode Forum

Full Version: DHCPV6 RENEW IA_NA, any network guru's in the house?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wondering,  since I just wrap some newspaper around my head occasionally,  I'm not a real guru.

I have noticed with a Moode 4.0 setup I have,  I get a lot of

DHCPV6 RENEW IA_NA from 0001000121b0d9d4b827ebb1acba on br-lan: ok 2600:8802:1200:4ec::40e/128 fd02:27c0:3531::40e/128

entries in my router log.  Seems to be the moode player requesting to renew it's ipv6 address.  About every 20 seconds. For very long periods of time. 

Seemed like it was my 4.0 on a pi1b+,  but I also see it with my pi3b and moode 4.2 updated,  that one just starts the behavior later.  At the moment,  there's something wrong with the 4.2 system,  though,  can't connect reliably to it.  Will reflash.  The first system does it all by itself, if the second one is off.

I also made some changes with the router,  so that's another wildcard.   Will try backtracking them later on.   But wanted to see if there's someone network savvy out there to comment on "normal" behavior with ipv6 requests.
@JonPike

You left out a detail. Are you actually trying to use IPv6?

IPv6 is enabled by default in Raspbian so if your router is configured to support IPv6 there's bound to be some interaction going on. I don't use IPv6 on my LAN and it's disabled on my router so I can't comment on the 20-second cycle time on identity assignment you see.

In my case, I can see 4 IPv6 ports open on my moOde player. Ports 139 and 445 are NBT and SMB over IP, respectively; port 22 is SSH; port 111 is the portmapper. 
Code:
pi@moode:~ $ netstat -lnpt
...<lots of IPv4 ports>...and then
tcp6       0      0 :::139                  :::*                    LISTEN      -                  
tcp6       0      0 :::111                  :::*                    LISTEN      -                  
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      -                  
tcp6       0      0 :::445                  :::*                    LISTEN      -    

Google is your friend if you want to disable IPv6 in Raspbian, hence in moOde.

Regards,
Kent
(08-27-2018, 04:39 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]@JonPike

IPv6 is enabled by default in Raspbian so if your router is configured to support IPv6 there's bound to be some interaction going on. I don't use IPv6 on my LAN and it's disabled on my router so I can't comment on the 20-second cycle time on identity assignment you see.

In my case, I can see 4 IPv6 ports open on my moOde player. Ports 139 and 445 are NBT and SMB over IP, respectively; port 22 is SSH; port 111 is the portmapper. 
Code:
pi@moode:~ $ netstat -lnpt
...<lots of IPv4 ports>...and then
tcp6       0      0 :::139                  :::*                    LISTEN      -                  
tcp6       0      0 :::111                  :::*                    LISTEN      -                  
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      -                  
tcp6       0      0 :::445                  :::*                    LISTEN      -    

Google is your friend if you want to disable IPv6 in Raspbian, hence in moOde.

Regards,
Kent

Other stuff uses it,  and I see the moode players getting IPv6 addresses along with their IPv4's.  (common behavior for lots of things)   It's just this constant renew requests
are not like everything else.   Usual for most devices is a short handshake sequence, where a request is one step of, and then nothing for 15min or more.

I don't know what,  if any,  traffic might go out over the IPv6 interfaces on Moode, and am not certain if it's some Moode (or Raspbian) interface setting that is why the multiple requests are happening.   You would expect it to ask for and get assigned an address,  then just sit there.  They could be not successful in getting the IPv6 address and trying that step repeatedly in a loop.

Thought I'd try to look a bit deeper and use netstat to check those ports,  aaaaaaaand I seem to have more router related issues,  my currently running player not responding,  etc..  Upon resetting the down 2.4Ghz wifi,  and rebooting the 4.0 Moode player,  I see a normal hookup,  and no repeated requests.  Dropping that one and firing up the other player running 4.2,  I get a similar result, no 20sec requests.  (I also get no response on the 4.2 Moode player,  but that's another story)  Hmmm,  wonder if my excessive requests happens only when you have two players on air at the same time?  That shouldn't provoke any kind of interaction, either,  but...

OK,  way too many variables here,  with the new router firmware version I'm testing (OpenWRT/LEDE 18.06.1),  and a player in a questionable,  broken state.   So,  I'm going to backtrack the router and reflash a player or two here and check this all out again in a day or so.  Will let you know what I end up with....
(08-28-2018, 05:37 AM)JonPike Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2018, 04:39 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]@JonPike

Ahem...  I guess I should have said that all my connecting to Moode (via the browser, and to the Net) seems to be occurring on  the good ol' IPv4 network.
DHCPv6 is not part of the IPv6 implementation. The strict IPv6 RFC says that [public] IP addresses of the devices will be assigned via the advertising protocol by any router device. Private IP addresses are automatically calculated using MAC address of the client NIC by the client itself, so no DHCPv6 are really needed.
If it is enabled, it is better to disable the DHCPv6 service from the raspbian distro. Anyway the amount of traffic is really a few and this should not create troubles... so don't worry about that.
I know the router logs are not clean and I know what it means :-) .
OK,  have gotten back to this,  and have learned a few things...

The Moode 4.2 Pi 3B system did have issues, and has been behaving better after the reflash.  But, both it and the 4.0 Pi 1B+ system still do the same repeated refresh request attempts for IPv6 addresses.  Sometimes it takes a while for one to start,  sometimes the rate slows down to 1-2 times a minute,  but it's there.  Doesn't seem to need two players to start up, either.

I have had a few instances of trying to open the web page of a player,  and it not responding right away.  Usually on the Android, which does tend to be a bit more problematic.  Not sure about that.  But it doesn't seem to be the difficult to impossible to access players situation with the OpenWRT 18.06.1 router firmware,  that I thought it might have been,  so I doubt interaction between the two now.

Just to clarify,  I'm not actively trying to connect Moode via IPv6,  and I'm not trying to run DHCPV6 on the Pi,  unless it's an out of the box thing in Raspbian.  It's my router that is running it,  and the Moode player that seems to be overly intent on making requests.   Still don't understand the full picture, but something is borken,  as they say,  that we don't have a clean handshake,  and Moode/Raspbian thinks it should keep requesting.  (don't know why, it DOES end up with an IPv6 addy)

I see just those same ports,  using netstat,  thanks TOP!  Nothing funny going on there.  Looking at some of the IPv4 ports,  I see a few ones I had to figure out,  turns out the Raspotify service I run adds a few.  Was wondering about the bc.googleusercontent.com address and port, that the Spotify traffic seems associated with,  especially since it seems like a private IP in front of the name? Hope that's valid, sounds fishy, seems to be active only when Spotify data is being received.   But,  that's another rabbit hole,  and apparently in the arena of the Raspotify/Librespotify stuff, not Moode.  

So, will try disabling IPv6 on the Moode end altogether,  and see if I miss anything.  Seems like at this point,  it's probably just "there" and not being used.  At least that will keep it from filling my router logs and leave space for other events.  As well as saving some CPU time and unnecessary network traffic.  On my Pi 1B at least,  that might mean something.  Ideally,  it gets fixed someday, by whoever the offending part/config belongs to.  If you don't look in your router logs,  you probably wouldn't know it's going on.   But, in the interests of the philosophy of a audio network appliance should be doing as little as it needs to be doing,  I'll let you know if turning IPv6 off is a viable option, and how to go about it.
What issue are you experiencing and why do you think ipv6 administrative traffic is involved?

There's all sorts of administrative and status packets flowing on a network. Its what keeps clients and servers connected and talking to each other, and enables resources to be automatically discovered, etc etc. This traffic is insignificant in terms of bandwidth consumption. This can easily be seen by running a packet sniffer and then viewing the I-O graph or protocol stats.

-Tim
(08-26-2018, 10:33 PM)JonPike Wrote: [ -> ]I have noticed with a Moode 4.0 setup I have,  I get a lot of

DHCPV6 RENEW IA_NA from 0001000121b0d9d4b827ebb1acba on br-lan: ok 2600:8802:1200:4ec::40e/128 fd02:27c0:3531::40e/128

entries in my router log.  Seems to be the moode player requesting to renew it's ipv6 address.  About every 20 seconds. For very long periods of time. 

Well,  because I get the above,  by the hundreds, in my router log,  from both of my Moode players.   90% of my router's system log are these lines.

Everything else connected to the router does not do this.
(09-04-2018, 03:46 PM)JonPike Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2018, 10:33 PM)JonPike Wrote: [ -> ]I have noticed with a Moode 4.0 setup I have,  I get a lot of

Well,  because I get the above,  by the hundreds, in my router log,  from both of my Moode players.   90% of my router's system log are these lines.

Everything else connected to the router does not do this.

Like I said before, Raspbian enables the IPv6 protocol by default. Google is your friend if you want to disable it. All moOde needs is an interface which is configured, up, and connected to your LAN and works fine if the interface is configured with only an IPv4 assignment.

It's Raspbian which is configuring your interfaces with both IPv4 and IPv6 assignments and the Raspberry Pi forum is where the Raspbian experts hang out if you want to ask details about why it's doing what it's doing.

Regards,
Kent
Sure but is it 100's per second or 100's per day/week?

My Router system logs have a bunch of DHCP messages but relative to the 65 day uptime at the moment there are relatively few of them and they are totally normal.

Anyway, Mobile is migrating to IPV6 because more and more networks are IPV6-only and virtually all recent Routers are IPV6 capable.
Pages: 1 2