Moode Forum

Full Version: Editing Tags on Moode Samba share via GUI (kid3-qt)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't think this is an issue with moode but with how my laptop is interacting with moode over samba so I put it in the uncategorised section. If it should go in troubleshooting feel free to move it.

I am away from my main moode systems so am using my moode 4.2 Pi Zero W Bluetooth player.

Anyway a little fiddling and I got my ubuntu laptop to connect to the moode samba so I could transfer files through the file manager.
(moode was showing up when I ran smbtree but I could not see it in the file manager until I added the line "client max protocol = NT1" to my samba conf)

Trying to edit some tags on the local moode library (contained in the SDCARD directory) I connect to samba logging in as user pi and view the files in the tag editor kid3. I edit the tags but the changes are not saved.
This might have been expected as I need to use sudo to do anything in this directory while logged in over ssh as user pi?

Checking the permissions:
Everything is owned by root:root.
According to the file manager on my laptop (thunar) everybody (owner, group, others) has read&write permissions.

However output from the command ls -l via ssh says permissions are 755 i.e. -rwxr-xr-x. So read only for group and others.

Through thunar in the SDCARD directory I can rename and copy files (and of course drop them from my laptop) though via ssh I need sudo to do these. A little testing shows via ssh user pi needs sudo to create a file, mv, cp, and rm files. This is in line with 755 permissions. So I am not sure why thunar over samba can do do some of these things while logged in as pi or indeed anonymously?

Possible solutions:
1. I could add user pi to group root? Possibly inadvisable?
2. I could create a new user just for samba logins and add that user to group root?
3. I could somehow initiate my tagger kid3 with sudo privileges? I don't even know if that's possible!
4. This is a samba issue on the laptop end and I should solve it that way? I am really scratching in the dark with samba tbh.
5. Something else.

So 1 & 2 might not work since group members have read only permission according to ls -l
3 is purely speculative on my part.
That leaves 4 or 5. Any samba wizards or general linux wizards have time to hazard a guess or posit a solution or explanation?
I guess the obvious solution is the recursively change permissions on everything contained in the directory?
Is this a good idea?
If there is a better solution I am interested, particularly if the problem isĀ  a poor samba set up on my end.
However I guess I can just change permissions.

edit: Although testing on a single directory changing permissions to 757 didn't help.