Moode Forum

Full Version: Enabling write access to external HDD (in: /media/SYSTEM)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(12-26-2018, 03:21 PM)wmoecke Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2018, 02:59 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]...
I think I'd just take the drive to either my Linux desktop or Linux laptop, both of which have ample RAM and swap space, fix the problem(s) there, and bring it back to my moOde player.

I wish I could do that easily. It so happens that I'm required to disassemble the unit entirely just to get hold of that HDD buried deep inside. So, ideally this needs to be done within Jessie. If not possible, then I'll just apply the old adage by the wise Dalai Lama: "If there isn't a solution to the problem..." - actually, that adage goes both ways.

Jessie? We're running on Raspbian Stretch.

How about your SDcard? Can you get to it easily? If so, you could create a rescue SDcard with nothing but Raspbian Stretch lite and big swap space on it.

Good luck however you go about it!

Regards,
Kent
Right, I have created a 1GB swap file in my SD partition (which has a 8GB capacity) and been running fsck for a few minutes so far, with no more malloc() errors. If I'm lucky, this time it will probably run for a very long time and (fingers x'd!!) do all the fixes. If not, then I'll try increasing the swap file and retry.
TheOldPresbyope Wrote:Jessie? We're running on Raspbian Stretch.

Sure thing. My mistake.
(tomAtoe, tomAHto... ;-D)
Still running folks...
Holy crap, 3 hours of fsck and still going!!
(12-26-2018, 09:29 PM)wmoecke Wrote: [ -> ]Holy crap, 3 hours of fsck and still going!!

It  will run as long as is needed to repair and check the filesystem.

Here's a report I came across about the use of this tool on a 1TB HD using an unspecified Linux Mint computer

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/resc...linux.html

Notable quote:

Quote:With my disk, the inspection ran for about 9 hours. There were only about 1,700 files and folders on the disk, still, it took quite a while. However, the disk did not stall or shout or sputter during the check.

Courage!

Regards,
Kent
(12-26-2018, 10:32 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]Courage!

It finished!

fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
/dev/sda1: 40205 files, 48299850/121857142 clusters

This HDD is "only" 500GB - about 3:30h fsck runtime.
Unfortunately, this still did not change the fact no user other than root has permission to directly write to my external volume at /media/SYSTEM.
At least, I can now manually move my downloaded torrents to this disk via SMB share in Windows Explorer. I think I can live with that.
I'd like to share a few more pictures of my build from inside out, to give everyone an idea of how layered it is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BiZjWGKeaVPCPCGy5
(this was even before the addition of the LCD display on top of the case, hooked up to GPIO via I2C.)
(05-02-2019, 12:42 PM)atharvpatil Wrote: [ -> ]i have increase my swap file size and then tried but still i am getting some errors can anyone help

I have no idea what the problem is that you are trying to solve. I suggest you start a new thread with a proper subject line.

Regards,
Kent
Pages: 1 2 3