Moode Forum

Full Version: Kodi alongside MoOde
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First of all, I'm not sure if my issue is Kodi or moOde related but I'm asking for help here as I'm running out of luck on my own Sad

To start, this is my setup :
Raspi 3B+ with moOde 4.4 and IQAudio DAC+ connected with RCA on an analog amp and with HDMI to a videoprojector.

I used to use another audio related distribution (quite similar to moOde wich had a kodi plugin. Sound of mpd and kodi were both coming out from the DAC.

Recently I've discovered moOde while tinkering with another setup (30's radio with rpi zero and justboom amp). I was amazed by moOde reliability.

So here I am, installing it on my rpi 3B+ and trying to get the same kodi/mpd couple for my audio and video needs. But I'm unable to get Kodi to output on the IQAudio DAC...

Actually, I was, for half a minute...

So : ALSA Default (IQAudio DAC) is selected as output in Kodi. The DAC is also setup in moOde wich is working as expected.
If I launch Kodi, moOde can't play, arguing that Alsa device HW 0,0 is busy. However, Kodi sounds are coming from the videoprojector's speakers.

Today, after looking at how kodi is installed as a plugin in the other distro, I created /etc/asound.conf file with the following content.

Code:
#KODI
    defaults.ctl.card 0
    defaults.pcm.card 0
#ENDOFKODI

I launch Kodi from ssh. And it works, sounds everywhere from my beloved DAC. (Lots of joy here).
I stop the playback and try to play something with moOde wich says me : Unable to play (blah... blah...) Device HW 0,1 not found.
I look into moOde audio settings if anything has changed with mpd, which is not the case. So I'm hitting the APPLY button and go back to try moOde.
After mpd restard it works.

But then, nothing from kodi anymore and since then I'm unable to get it again, it's back to output via HDMI...

If it helps, output of aplay -l and aplay -L are IQAudio only with HW 0,0 ID.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my english, I'm not native.

EDIT : I am able to play a video with audio output to ALSA with omxplay -o alsa, if it helps...
I found a solution.

It seems that it's indeed not an issue from moOde but obviously from Kodi.

Even if dt_param=audio=off is set in /boot/config, Kodi seems to activate the onboard audio. It sees the DAC not as hw:0,0 but hw:1,0.
Aplay -l/L still list only the DAC.

The workaround is to set hw:1,0 in /etc/asound.conf and reboot. Kodi the outputs to the DAC but moOde is not seeing hw:1,0.
After editing mpd.conf back to hw:0,0 in output.
And never touch anything about the mpd config in moOde GUI !

Maybe this post will help someone !
I think that depends on the distribution of KODI: I had LibreELEC with Kodi on my current setup ( and no MoOde) . This worked fine and also used my HifiBerry Digi+ . I edited /boot7Config.txt and ensured that the following three lines are in it:
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=off
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi-pro

Also in Kodi you should select under the music the right output - otherwise Kodi will always switch to the internal output.
This is interesting for me since currently I am using Kodi from inside my Amazon Fire TV stick and it does have some performance issues during movie playback (not always though).
I do have RPI 3 with Moode 4.4 and BOSS Allo DAC.
Are you able to launch Kodi within Moode? Or are you doing a dual boot on the same SD card with LibreELEC for instance?

I am quite interested in using Kodi on the RPI instead of the FireTV now.
(01-29-2019, 07:04 AM)vakharia Wrote: [ -> ]This is interesting for me since currently I am using Kodi from inside my Amazon Fire TV stick and it does have some performance issues during movie playback (not always though).
Are you able to launch Kodi within Moode? Or are you doing a dual boot on the same SD card with LibreELEC for instance?

If you are using the Stick on Wifi only it maybe that the CPU is already struggling with a weak WiFi broadcast/reception in the case of films playback (not even touching the 4K format Cool ) this Amazon accessory may give an extra helping hand if you have a LAN connection and LAN CABLE available:

Amazon Ethernet Adaptor
(01-29-2019, 07:04 AM)vakharia Wrote: [ -> ]This is interesting for me since currently I am using Kodi from inside my Amazon Fire TV stick and it does have some performance issues during movie playback (not always though).

If you haven't read them, this article and this article about Kodi and FireTV options and maintenance may prove useful. There's a link in the second to information about the System X-Ray diagnostic.

If WiFi is the only possibility for access to your network, then using an HDMI cable to get the Fire Stick away from other components can be beneficial. I had to do this with my Roku stick.

Regards,
Kent
Sorry, just saw your post.

I've moved out of this solution, too much trouble, bought an apple TV.

Try to identify the ID of your DAC card with aplay -l/L, maybe yours is not listed as mine was.
Hi, I am also interested in having MoOde Audio alongside Kodi. This thread is marked as “solved”, but it is not the case for me.

What I have found is that when Kodi launches it takes possession of the system audio interface until the computer is restarted, therefore MoOde Audio cannot later use it (HW 0,0 device busy). In fact:

root@moode:~# fuser -v /dev/snd/*

USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0:  root        347 f.... alsactl
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   kodi       5850 F.... kodi.bin_v7

However, if the system audio interface is already being used by another process before Kodi is being started, Kodi still launches correctly, and the system audio interface does not get blocked by Kodi. After that, Kodi and MoOde Audio can coexist using the sound car

Therefore I suppose that if it would be possible to replace a line in /etc/systemd/system/kodi.service (the file that starts Kodi at system startup or that restarts it after a Kodi crash), so that instead of ExecStart = /usr/bin/kodi-standalone it would be some script that would first make mpc repeatedly play a silent mp3 file, then launch kodi-standalone, and, once the Kodi startup is completed, stop mpc. However, I have not been able to do it.

The other possibility is to define in the system configuration, as it was written in this thread, the Kodi and MoOde Audio use different devices (HW n,n). My setup is a Raspberry Pi 2 with a HDMI cable connected to a TV and with a I2S audio device, a Hifiberry DAC+, connected to an amplifier and its loudspeakers. Obviously Kodi shall use the HDMI audio output, while MoOde Audio shall use the I2S audio output. Here I would have to create a configuration that reflects that, but that is also not simple.

Any help appreciated.
@retrosan
I'm curious, if you're running Kodi why do you need Moode?
Just use Libreelec and be done with it.
(09-21-2020, 10:15 PM)vinnn Wrote: [ -> ]@retrosan
I'm curious, if you're running Kodi why do you need Moode?
Just use Libreelec and be done with it.

As far as I can tell, it's because Kodi is not that great for music. If it was, you all would probably use that instead of MoOde.

Kodi alongside MoOde is a need that some people have, and it could actually be the best Raspberry Pi setup for multimedia.

In fact, as I previouvsly wrote, I tested Kodi alongside MoOde, and the two applications can coexist, even on my old Raspberry Pi 2B. The only issue is when Kodi launches: if the sound device is not being used by MoOde, then Kodi blocks it.

I still hope that somebody sees this thread and can suggest some workaround.
Pages: 1 2