Moode Forum
[PROBLEM] Expand file system command fails ! - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Expand file system command fails ! (/showthread.php?tid=1074)

Pages: 1 2

Expand file system command fails ! - LeVolatile - 02-08-2019

Hi,

After a fresh Moode 4.4 installation I tried to expand the root file system from the GUI config->System menu. Nothing seems to happen. It keeps failing even after 3 tries. So I took off the SD card from the Pi and put it on my desktop computer running Ubuntu Studio. I used Gparted to expand the fs and it seemed to work (success confirmation from the software). But when I put back the SD card in the Pi, it's not booting anymore. Any help will be much appreciated but I have 3 questions:

1. Why the expand command is not working anymore in the Moode GUI ?
2. Why did Gparted messed up my SD card like this ?
3. Is there a solution to make Moode running again without reinstalling everything ?

RE: Expand file system command fails ! - Chris972 - 02-08-2019

I am facing the same issue. After clicking on Expand, nothing happens.
Looking at the system info, I get the following information:

ROOT size = 2.9G
ROOT used = 72%
ROOT avail = 792M
FS expand = not expanded
MEM free = 686 MB
MEM used = 57 MB

I am using a 8G micro SD card

RE: Expand file system command fails ! - JST1963 - 02-08-2019

Simple test: try another card  Dodgy

RE: Expand file system command fails ! - Chris972 - 02-08-2019

Already tried, same behaviour with both 8GB SD card

RE: Expand file system command fails ! - Tim Curtis - 02-08-2019

Quick test on my end and no issues although sometimes the popup message does not appear which says something like "FS expansion job submitted, reboot initiated". The automatic reboot has been eliminated in upcoming moOde to guarantee the popup message appears. It will be like "FS expanded, reboot required".

Did your system automatically reboot?

RE: Expand file system command fails ! - DRONE7 - 02-09-2019

I too have had this problem.... workaround is to ssh into MoOde and run...
Code:
sudo raspi-config

then scroll to and select # 7. Advanced options.  and the first entry is A1 Expand Filesystem. Run that...

That works where the MoOde UI doesn't.

I am guessing you are using Firefox browser....
Try another browser...?

Tim, I think there's a permissions or browser issue with Firefox as I have the still unresolved problem where trying to select chip options for Piano 2.1 just throws me back to the menu... no popups no submenu...(but works fine using Chrome browser) just like this issue when trying to expand the filesystem...no matter how many times you click it just throws you back to the menu...no popups and no expansion initiated.

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=811

RE: Expand file system command fails ! - Tim Curtis - 02-09-2019

Firefox has always proved to be problematic. YMMV

RE: Expand file system command fails ! - DRONE7 - 02-09-2019

(02-09-2019, 02:15 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Firefox has always proved to be problematic. YMMV

lol... I hear you. Wink    It is a right royal PITA having to open chrome for some tasks then going back to FFox as it's our preferred browser.... I see the OP is also using Ubuntu so it may be a Ubuntu/FFox thing as I don't see any posts from Win/FFox users...

So, just alerting the team to these glitches so as to hopefully minimise support time for them.....

Workaround, try another browser for tasks where no action is initiated from within Firefox.

RE: Expand file system command fails ! - LeVolatile - 02-09-2019

(02-09-2019, 03:46 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 02:15 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Firefox has always proved to be problematic. YMMV

Quote:lol... I hear you. Wink    It is a right royal PITA having to open chrome for some tasks then going back to FFox as it's our preferred browser.... I see the OP is also using Ubuntu so it may be a Ubuntu/FFox thing as I don't see any posts from Win/FFox users...

So, just alerting the team to these glitches so as to hopefully minimise support time for them.....

Workaround, try another browser for tasks where no action is initiated from within Firefox.

Thanks guies for your prompt answer. I confirm that the problem is Firefox. My preferred player "hate" my prefered navigator. Smile  So I reflashed thy SD card and rebuild everything. Now, with Chrome everything works perfectly fine! And smart enough to reboot my itself.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        29G  2.4G   25G   9% /
devtmpfs        460M     0  460M   0% /dev
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           464M   20M  445M   5% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1   44M   23M   22M  52% /boot
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000

But I am curious and a perfect Linux newbie like me would like to understand why Ubuntu Gparted messed up my preceding Moode installation. As far as I remember it never messed up any partitions on any drive in the past.

Anyway big thanks!

LeVolatile

RE: Expand file system command fails ! - TheOldPresbyope - 02-09-2019

@LeVolatile

Quote:But I am curious and a perfect Linux newbie like me would like to understand why Ubuntu Gparted messed up my preceding Moode installation. As far as I remember it never messed up any partitions on any drive in the past.

It didn't "mess up" the root partition. If you mount it in a Linux system you'll see the filesystem in the partition is just fine. HOWEVER, Gparted assigned a new partition UUID (PARTUUID) to it and the cmdline.txt file in the boot partition still specifies the original PARTUUID.

Example: moode-r44 flashed to 16GB uSD card. Mount it in my Linux laptop (hostname T520) as a mmc (multimedia) device.

Code:
kreed@T520 /media/kreed $ sudo blkid /dev/mmcblk0p2
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="29075e46-f0d4-44e2-a9e7-55ac02d6e6cc" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="7ee80803-02"

At this point the boot partition is mounted to /media/kreed, so

Code:
kreed@T520 /media/kreed $ more boot/cmdline.txt
net.ifnames=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=7ee80803-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

Note the PartUUIDs are the same.

Now I use Gparted to grow the rootfs partition from the original 3GB to about 15GB and remount the card.

Code:
kreed@T520 ~ $ blkid /dev/mmcblk0p2
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="29075e46-f0d4-44e2-a9e7-55ac02d6e6cc" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="d39da279-02"

Note the PARTUUID has changed.

Bottom line: had you edited the cmdline.txt file to reflect this new PARTUUID, your card would have booted into moOde.

Regards,
Kent