Moode Forum
CD Player - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: CD Player (/showthread.php?tid=1765)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

CD Player - jmgtierrez - 10-01-2019

Can I connect an external USB CD Player to my Raspberry Pi, and play a CD with Moode Audio?

Thanks in advance

RE: CD Player - Tim Curtis - 10-01-2019

moOde does not support CD playback but I recall other users having installed the packages to do this. Try searching the Forum.

RE: CD Player - aknaggbaugh - 10-04-2019

(10-01-2019, 09:54 AM)jmgtierrez Wrote: Can I connect an external USB CD Player to my Raspberry Pi, and play a CD with Moode Audio?

Thanks in advance

In the FAQ and Guides section I posted instructions on using abcde to automatically rip a CD when you insert it and add the resulting audio files to the mpd library. That works well for me, because I plan to gradually add all my CDs to my moode library and then put them away in the loft.

If you just want to put a CD in and play it without ripping, I haven't done that but mpd can handle CDDA audio (not sure if this depends on compile time options and if so whether they are enabled in moode): there is some discussion of someone having achieved something similar with volumio here https://www.bing.com/search?q=mpd+cd+playback&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTTR&conversationid=#
Judging by that thread the difficulty they encountered was automounting the CD, you could have a look at my guide which includes a udev rule to match audio CD insertion which you could modify to automount the CD and update mpd with the tracks.

RE: CD Player - TheOldPresbyope - 10-04-2019

In the middle of a road trip around New England. It’s raining this morning here in Southwest Harbor ME so I’m using up my cellphone data plan to catch up on forum posts over a mug of coffee.

CD playback is doable in moOde. Just playing tracks is the easy bit. Think of it as an old standalone CD player—stop/play and display “track 1, track 2, etc.”, and no cover art. A while back a fellow named Ashley Cox sent Tim some scripts for playback and for ripping (this latter much like aknabbaugh’s work). I tweaked the playback script a bit and we emailed back and forth but then both of us got distracted with more pressing issues.

I can write up what we did and post it late next week.

Regards,
Kent

RE: CD Player - ztb5129 - 01-13-2020

(10-04-2019, 12:07 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: In the middle of a road trip around New England. It’s raining this morning here in Southwest Harbor ME so I’m using up my cellphone data plan to catch up on forum posts over a mug of coffee.

CD playback is doable in moOde. Just playing tracks is the easy bit. Think of it as an old standalone CD player—stop/play and display “track 1, track 2, etc.”, and no cover art. A while back a fellow named Ashley Cox sent Tim some scripts for playback and for ripping (this latter much like aknabbaugh’s work). I tweaked the playback script a bit and we emailed back and forth but then both of us got distracted with more pressing issues.

I can write up what we did and post it late next week.

Regards,
Kent

Looking forward to your post, or can you share the current code?

RE: CD Player - TheOldPresbyope - 01-13-2020

@ztb5129

Oof, I did promise that, didn't I  Blush

I'll have to dig back through my notes.

Regards,
Kent

RE: CD Player - TheOldPresbyope - 01-14-2020

(01-13-2020, 06:01 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @ztb5129

Regards,
Kent

@ztb5129 

At a glance, your just-posted HowTo is a very similar approach to what we were doing. I'll make any further comment there.

RE: CD Player - ztb5129 - 01-15-2020

(01-14-2020, 05:20 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

@ztb5129 

At a glance, your just-posted HowTo is a very similar approach to what we were doing. I'll make any further comment there.

Thanks, that would be of great help.

RE: CD Player - thestreamdigger - 01-18-2020

(01-16-2020, 08:02 AM)aaron99 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 05:20 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

@ztb5129 

I'm interested too.

#metoo

RE: CD Player - Zafacs - 05-14-2021

Hello,

I am joining this thread, as I am really interested in having a good CD player in Moode audio that just plays and not rips all the discs inserted. I want to be able to listen to a disc without increasing the space taken up on my hard drives.

I found the solution proposed by TheOldPresbyope, simple and effective. And I would be happy to see the V1 or even more the V2. But it seems that the choice was for a rip and play solution. So I forked the moOdeCDPlay project and modified things to include track metadata. It's not nearly as good as I'd like. Until now, I was just a Moode Audio user, so I'm not really familiar with its architecture.

You can take a look at https://github.com/coissac/moOdeCDPlay . As I am the only fork, I am easy to find.

Best wishes

Eric