Moode Forum
Trouble with old Pi... - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Trouble with old Pi... (/showthread.php?tid=1948)

Trouble with old Pi... - StivVid - 12-02-2019

I have an old Raspberry Pi model B laying around that I used to run Volumio on.  Thought I'd try MoOde on it to see if I want to use it in a project.  Am I wasting my time with the Model B?  Can't seem to get MoOde to find any music on my USB hard drive.  It's formatted ExFat and has about 250GB of files saved on it.  When I update MPD, I get an updated list of sources which includes USB, but when I click on it... nothing.

RE: Trouble with old Pi... - vinnn - 12-03-2019

(12-02-2019, 07:48 PM)StivVid Wrote: I have an old Raspberry Pi model B laying around that I used to run Volumio on.  Thought I'd try MoOde on it to see if I want to use it in a project.  Am I wasting my time with the Model B?  Can't seem to get MoOde to find any music on my USB hard drive.  It's formatted ExFat and has about 250GB of files saved on it.  When I update MPD, I get an updated list of sources which includes USB, but when I click on it... nothing.

Using an exfat filesystem could be your issue. Using a native Linux filesystem or a natively supported Windows filesystem like fat32 should work out of the box. You should be able to install the driver and tools for exfat using apt in a ssh session.
e.g.

Code:
sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

I guess that'd be enough and udisks should be able to auto mount the filesystem so long as your USB hard disk has enough power to spin up.
Older Pis before the Pi2 aren't able to power a spinning hard disk from their USB ports so if your HDD isn't spinning up at all when you plug it in, use a powered USB hub in between the Pi and the HDD.

RE: Trouble with old Pi... - DRONE7 - 12-03-2019

What vinnn said Smile

and to add that you're using an older Pi so it may take a while to fully update and load the files.

Do select the LIBRARY tab and do a full mpd database update and wait for it to complete... Look top right for the 'spinner' that appears while the update happens...once it closes then check for files to play... Wink

RE: Trouble with old Pi... - StivVid - 12-06-2019

Well... Gave up on it. Bought a Pi 4. All good now. Probably is a power issue. I might try a powered hub later. Thanks for the advice!

RE: Trouble with old Pi... - DRONE7 - 12-06-2019

Good to hear you have a working MoOde Smile 

For your older  Pi try booting and go to the SYSTEM tab...scroll down to 'USB auto-mounter' and change from the default 'Udisks-glue' to 'Devmon'
That should fix the USB problem Smile

RE: Trouble with old Pi... - Tim Curtis - 12-06-2019

(12-02-2019, 07:48 PM)StivVid Wrote: I have an old Raspberry Pi model B laying around that I used to run Volumio on.  Thought I'd try MoOde on it to see if I want to use it in a project.  Am I wasting my time with the Model B?  Can't seem to get MoOde to find any music on my USB hard drive.  It's formatted ExFat and has about 250GB of files saved on it.  When I update MPD, I get an updated list of sources which includes USB, but when I click on it... nothing.

As @DRONE7suggested, switch to Devmon as the USB auto-mounter. The option is on System Config. Below is the (i) help.

Code:
For ARM6 platforms (Pi-1B, Zero/w, etc) select Devmon, otherwise select Udisks-glue.

RE: Trouble with old Pi... - StivVid - 12-07-2019

(12-06-2019, 01:46 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

As @DRONE7suggested, switch to Devmon as the USB auto-mounter. The option is on System Config. Below is the (i) help.

Code:
For ARM6 platforms (Pi-1B, Zero/w, etc) select Devmon, otherwise select Udisks-glue.

Hi, Tim.  That was one of the things that I tried.  No joy.  I just don't think the pi has enough juice to spin up the hard drive.  The hard drive would start "beeping" after awhile.  No problems at all with pi 4.  Really enjoying getting to know MoOde.  As an aside...  There are now 4 FLAC streams available for Radio Paradise--a main mix, a mellow mix, a rock mix, and an eclectic mix.  I've added them to my radio library.  They all sound great on MoOde.  Maybe they could be added to the list of stations available on install?  Keep up the good work!

RE: Trouble with old Pi... - TheOldPresbyope - 12-07-2019

@StivVid 

Regarding Radio Paradise, yes, the good news is that they are offering links to FLAC-encoded streams for all four mixes (https://radioparadise.com/listen/stream-links). The not so good news is that the FLAC streams don't include metadata. ("Not our choice. We would if we could.") 

Since I mainly listen to RP while doing something else, I prefer to use the high bit-rate AAC streams so I can see what's playing. Horses for courses.

So much music, so little time!

Regards,
Kent