Moode Forum
[PROBLEM] Multiple Versions of Albums - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Multiple Versions of Albums (/showthread.php?tid=2064)

Pages: 1 2 3

Multiple Versions of Albums - PortableInstitute - 01-11-2020

There are a few albums that I have multiple versions of. I import them with beets and it keeps them separated by release year:

Code:
user@host:/Music/Tom Petty$ ls
Full Moon Fever  Full Moon Fever [2015]  Wildflowers

When I browse to these albums in Moode, it shows one albums with 2 "Track One"s, 2 "Track Two"s, etc. Is there some way to get Moode to keep these separate as well? Thanks!

RE: Multiple Versions of Albums - Tim Curtis - 01-11-2020

Add year or some other differentiator to the Album tag in one of the albums.

RE: Multiple Versions of Albums - PortableInstitute - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 07:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Add year or some other differentiator to the Album tag in one of the albums.

Yeah, I could see how that would work, but they are the same album and I would prefer that the album tag contain the title of the album. I was just hoping that Moode would know that all tracks in an album are in the same folder or something. Thanks!

I will admit this is probably not a common problem but a few players handle it, and among those that don't really handle it well some of them list all the tracks from one version and then the other version under the same album. That way, at least the tracks from each version are grouped together. Also you can hit play and it will play the album (followed by the album again, but it's easier to stop it than it is to remove all the duplicate tracks from the queue).

Really enjoying Moode otherwise though!

moOde uses tags and does not consider the underlying file structure except for extracting cover art and generating thumbnail images where it assumes the standard Artist/Album/Song directory structure.

You could also try grouping Albums by year. The setting is in Library Config, Edit library options

(01-11-2020, 07:41 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde uses tags and does not consider the underlying file structure except for extracting cover art…

Is that due to mpd or something in moOde?

it's part of moOde's design. The vast majority of collections are tagged and use a standard underlying file structure.

RE: Multiple Versions of Albums - vinnn - 01-12-2020

(01-11-2020, 07:17 PM)PortableInstitute Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 07:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Add year or some other differentiator to the Album tag in one of the albums.

Yeah, I could see how that would work, but they are the same album and I would prefer that the album tag contain the title of the album. I was just hoping that Moode would know that all tracks in an album are in the same folder or something. Thanks!

You can tag each album with a different CD/disc number, maybe to match the re-release date or something. I've done this with some in my collection.
This way you can select the album name in moOde (or any other modern player) and you'll see all the separate versions separated by disk number with their correct track orders.
This gets more complicated if you have multiple versions of a multi-disc album but you get my drift.

RE: Multiple Versions of Albums - PortableInstitute - 01-12-2020

(01-12-2020, 05:44 PM)vinnn Wrote: You can tag each album with a different CD/disc number, maybe to match the re-release date or something. I've done this with some in my collection.
This way you can select the album name in moOde (or any other modern player) and you'll see all the separate versions separated by disk number with their correct track orders.
This gets more complicated if you have multiple versions of a multi-disc album but you get my drift.

I use beets to organize my music so that I don't have to manually manage any tags, it maintains them all and they're all "correct" (as far as musicbrainz is concerned anyway). For example these tags could be used to tell these two releases apart: CATALOGNUMBER, MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID, MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASETRACKID. I'm really hesitant to go in there and start manually monkeying with tags just for one player's sake, but thank you for the suggestion, that seems like it would be a good improvement if I can get over my bugaboo of editing the tags.

RE: Multiple Versions of Albums - Tim Curtis - 01-12-2020

Just for reference, here are the tags that MPD supports
https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/protocol.html#tags