Moode Forum
UPNP client configuration difficulties - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: UPNP client configuration difficulties (/showthread.php?tid=2085)

UPNP client configuration difficulties - nosferatu_cat - 01-15-2020

I've been playing with setting up Moode as a UPNP client rather than an SMB client.  I'm using Moode 6.4 on two different Pi 3 B+.  One has a Hifiberry DAC+, the other a Hifiberry Digi+.  One is in a bedroom, the other in a bathroom.  Both get a strong network signal in the neighborhood of -50 dBm.  Both have problems with sluggish performance--screen freezes--using SMB.   I currently use 128 GB SSDs and local displays.  Things were somewhat worse using a micro-SD card and a tablet or phone.   The music is on a QNAP NAS. I'm using the QNAP provided DLNA server and MinimServer.  

I set up the UPNP client and browser.  When I create a source, roughly 8 times out of 10 the scan does not detect the DLNA server on the NAS.  Other UPNP client devices have no problems seeing the DLNA servers. When it does detect the server it will scan most of the first directory and quit.  It seems to lose track of the DLNA server.   I've tried running only the UPNP source as well as SMB and UPNP.   I organize music by directory structure.  My directory structure is /genre/artist/album. I have very little use for tags.  I have about 50K files although a lot of those are movements of classical pieces. 

I hope I've missed something simple and obvious.

RE: UPNP client configuration difficulties - Tim Curtis - 01-15-2020

This symptom "Both have problems with sluggish performance--screen freezes" suggests something external to moOde software for example network issues, bad SDCard, 3rd party software or hacks installed on stock moOde, etc.

RE: UPNP client configuration difficulties - nosferatu_cat - 01-16-2020

(01-15-2020, 07:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: This symptom "Both have problems with sluggish performance--screen freezes" suggests something external to moOde software for example network issues, bad SDCard, 3rd party software or hacks installed on stock moOde, etc.

Interesting.  I've used several SD cards on both before going to SSDs.  I have no 3rd party software or mods installed.    Network signal strength in both rooms is in the neighborhood of -50 dBm.  I've tried both the 2.8 and 5 gig network signals.  Naturally the 2.8 is stronger although probably not significantly.  The router is on the same floor in a different room no more than 20 feet away from either Pi.   I have no trouble with DLNA or SMB using several different Android devices and my audio receiver.   

I can get temporary relief by wiping the disk or memory card and doing a fresh install of Moode.  It makes me think disk corruption might be a factor.   Before v5 or so of Moode I had no performance problems.  I can't remember exactly when they started.

RE: UPNP client configuration difficulties - Tim Curtis - 01-16-2020

In your OP you mention "I currently use 128 GB SSDs and local displays."

Are you referring to SSD and an HDMI display attached to the Pi?

RE: UPNP client configuration difficulties - nosferatu_cat - 01-17-2020

(01-16-2020, 11:12 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: In your OP you mention "I currently use 128 GB SSDs and local displays."

Are you referring to SSD and an HDMI display attached to the Pi?

Yes.  I've gone from micro SD cards to flash drives to SSDs.  Decent small SSDs aren't much more than a comparable sized flash drive.  I tried the directly attached display in hopes that using it rather than a tablet or phone as the terminal would improve things.  I'm going to dig out an powered USB hub in hopes that that might change things.  Right now I have the monitors running on their own power supplies with a connection to the pi only for the touch screen.  I'm not experiencing the dread lightning bolt but lack of power is worth ruling out.

RE: UPNP client configuration difficulties - Tim Curtis - 01-17-2020

I recall reports in the past that USB boot drives can be problematic and very slow. Same for certain 4K HDMI tv's connected to Pi.

Start with a fresh moOde image on a top quality SDCard and just a bare Pi. Establish that as a baseline for performance then begin making changes one at a time until you have isolated the change that causes issues.

RE: UPNP client configuration difficulties - nosferatu_cat - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 06:56 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I recall reports in the past that USB boot drives can be problematic and very slow. Same for certain 4K HDMI tv's connected to Pi.

Start with a fresh moOde image on a top quality SDCard and just a bare Pi. Establish that as a baseline for performance then begin making changes one at a time until you have isolated the change that causes issues.

I'll give it a try.  I have an unused Samsung card.

RE: UPNP client configuration difficulties - nosferatu_cat - 01-29-2020

(01-17-2020, 10:34 PM)I tried a brand new Samsung level 10 card.  It didn\t work well.  I went back to Moode 4.2.  So far it Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 06:56 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I recall reports in the past that USB boot drives can be problematic and very slow. Same for certain 4K HDMI tv's connected to Pi.

RE: UPNP client configuration difficulties - nosferatu_cat - 01-31-2020

(01-29-2020, 09:30 PM)The 4.2 install has worked well with the monitor.  It\s been four days without a screen freeze which is at least two days longer than any 5x and 6x release.  I Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 10:34 PM)I tried a brand new Samsung level 10 card.  It didn\t work well.  I went back to Moode 4.2.  So far it Wrote: