Moode Forum
Enclosure - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Audiophile (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Audio gear (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Enclosure (/showthread.php?tid=2097)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Enclosure - Skip Pack - 02-12-2020

Mine just arrived. I'll probably put it together this weekend. Any further comments on your experiences? I'm mostly curious about interactions with their fan control utility and Moode.

Skip

RE: Enclosure - MikeyFresh - 02-13-2020

(02-12-2020, 06:40 PM)Skip Pack Wrote: Mine just arrived. I'll probably put it together this weekend. Any further comments on your experiences? I'm mostly curious about interactions with their fan control utility and Moode.

Skip

I ended up staying with no fan, so I have no experience with how their script will work with Moode. My operating temperature with the UPnP Renderer has been very low using the 2GB board:

RE: Enclosure - DRONE7 - 02-13-2020

35C is indeed very low!.... (for any Pi version ) and especially for the Pi4, and uptime of 5 weeks..     What is the usual ambient ?

I intend to configure the fan ( for the exercise) but expect not to have it operate in other than emergency mode...like when certain other members of the household use the Pi as a lay flat stack-able bookshelf.... Rolleyes

Whilst the fan still won't fix such a situation at least the noise of it is likely to alert someone.... Wink

RE: Enclosure - MikeyFresh - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 01:44 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: 35C is indeed very low!.... (for any Pi version ) and especially for the Pi4, and uptime of 5 weeks..     What is the usual ambient ?

I intend to configure the fan ( for the exercise) but expect not to have it operate in other than emergency mode...like when certain other members of the household use the Pi as a lay flat stack-able bookshelf.... Rolleyes

Whilst the fan still won't fix such a situation at least the noise of it is likely to alert someone.... Wink

It is winter here in NY, so the ambient room temperature is lower than it would be in summer time, a little under 20℃ when I took the screen shot. 

I guess it also depends on the specific track sequence played, certainly a 24/192 or DSD128 album will impose a slightly heavier processing load, I've checked the temp randomly and seen it as high as 39℃.

The other reason it is running that cool is the use of a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery in between RPi 4B and the DAC, the Recovery uses no USB bus power at all, it has it's own power supply and so that too makes a significant contribution to the Pi's low operating temperature. 

Ethernet is the network connection method, and the WiFi, Bluetooth, and HDMI are all shut down.

RE: Enclosure - Jandu - 02-25-2020

(02-13-2020, 03:35 AM)MikeyFresh Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 01:44 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: 35C is indeed very low!.... (for any Pi version ) and especially for the Pi4, and uptime of 5 weeks..     What is the usual ambient ?

It is winter here in NY, so the ambient room temperature is lower than it would be in summer time, a little under 20℃ when I took the screen shot. 

I guess it also depends on the specific track sequence played, certainly a 24/192 or DSD128 album will impose a slightly heavier processing load, I've checked the temp randomly and seen it as high as 39℃.

The other reason it is running that cool is the use of a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery in between RPi 4B and the DAC, the Recovery uses no USB bus power at all, it has it's own power supply and so that too makes a significant contribution to the Pi's low operating temperature. 

Ethernet is the network connection method, and the WiFi, Bluetooth, and HDMI are all shut down.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does the wi-fi work inside the box? Any chance that you can give it a try? Thanks.

RE: Enclosure - MikeyFresh - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 03:35 PM)Jandu Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 03:35 AM)MikeyFresh Wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does the wi-fi work inside the box? Any chance that you can give it a try? Thanks.

I can try it and surely it will work, as the entire bottom of the case is made of plastic.

However that won't really tell you very much about how well it might work in your particular set-up unless we know you are roughly the same relative distance to your router, same or similar wall construction etc... in other words WiFi reception is variable based on a number of factors.

I don't have a super new router, uses 802.11n dual band simultaneous, its a 2012 or so Apple AirPort Extreme. But it works very well with all of my devices and I have run WiFi to the RPi when using a fully metal enclosure with just a few small openings in the case, and that works, so no doubt this case with a plastic bottom half will offer just as good or better WiFi reception.

RE: Enclosure - DRONE7 - 03-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 06:40 PM)Skip Pack Wrote: Mine just arrived. I'll probably put it together this weekend. Any further comments on your experiences? I'm mostly curious about interactions with their fan control utility and Moode.

Skip

Today I opened the shipping packet mine arrived in only to find the seal broken on the ArgonOne box. Strange...

Further investigation revealed scuffing and some sort of blotchy staining on the top of the ArgonOne.

Guessing this was a return or review sample that they are trying to pass off as new stock.

I am very disappointed with the vendor PMDway and have emailed asking why I received a used item and was charged full new retail price.

I will update here as I find out more.

On the plus side the fan and button script works fine...not that the trigger temperature has been reached... the passive cooling is more than adequate for MoOde use.

RE: Enclosure - DRONE7 - 03-20-2020

Just an update re the scratched ArgonOne case I received from PMDWay.

I really rate their help desk staff... pleasant, prompt, and very fair.!!

I was offered several very generous options as recompense and settled on a store credit as they stock so many other wonderful things I would enjoy. Smile 

https://pmdway.com/

RE: Enclosure - Skip Pack - 05-05-2020

Only 2 1/2 months later, I put mine together, and I like it very much. Since I'm now using a USB dac, the Rpi4 is by itself and the temp is pretty stable at 41C playing or not. Mid 70'sF ambient. I haven't installed the software, but probably will just to see how the fan sounds. I suspect these old ears may not hear it.

RE: Enclosure - DRONE7 - 05-06-2020

Smile
I've been using mine for some weeks now and despite installing the scripts the fan has yet to kick in.. 43C is the maximum so far.
I might have to do some sox upsampling to see if I can run the cpu hard enough to have the fan operate and hear what impact it has...

However, the power switch script that is included with that is more than useful. Smile