Moode Forum
How to I mount iTunes library? - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: How to I mount iTunes library? (/showthread.php?tid=2985)

Pages: 1 2

How to I mount iTunes library? - isaacc7 - 09-15-2020

I was not able to find this topic via search but I could have missed it. I would like to use my iTunes library as my Moode library. I am running macOS Catalina. I have file sharing turned on and I have the right folder selected to share. What I can't figure out is what I am supposed to use as the path. I keep getting 

"Mount error: (mount error: could not resolve address for smb:: Unknown error"

So clearly I am not formatting it correctly. I currently have just a path name e.g. computer/user/volume. In the system preference pane under sharing there is an IP address but that is for the entire computer. I tried that anyway and got the same error. 

Nothing shows up when I scan for NAS. Does that mean I do not have the sharing settings set correctly? Help!

RE: How to I mount iTunes library? - hestehandler - 09-15-2020

Go to System Preferences : Sharing : File Sharing and add the folder wherein your music is located (probably ~/Music/Music/Media/Music). Then turn on File Sharing. The window gives you the address smb://[IP-address or machine name] and you then have to add the path eg.: smb://192.168.1.10/Music/Music/Media/Music

RE: How to I mount iTunes library? - isaacc7 - 09-15-2020

(09-15-2020, 08:34 AM)hestehandler Wrote: Go to System Preferences : Sharing : File Sharing and add the folder wherein your music is located (probably ~/Music/Music/Media/Music). Then turn on File Sharing. The window gives you the address smb://[IP-address or machine name] and you then have to add the path eg.: smb://192.168.1.10/Music/Music/Media/Music

Hmm, I never thought of that. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same error. I tried using a different shared folder to test and got the same error. Makes me wonder if I am missing something on the Mac side. Any suggestions?

RE: How to I mount iTunes library? - Tim Curtis - 09-16-2020

(09-15-2020, 03:38 AM)isaacc7 Wrote: I was not able to find this topic via search but I could have missed it. I would like to use my iTunes library as my Moode library. I am running macOS Catalina. I have file sharing turned on and I have the right folder selected to share. What I can't figure out is what I am supposed to use as the path. I keep getting 

So clearly I am not formatting it correctly. I currently have just a path name e.g. computer/user/volume. In the system preference pane under sharing there is an IP address but that is for the entire computer. I tried that anyway and got the same error. 

Nothing shows up when I scan for NAS. Does that mean I do not have the sharing settings set correctly? Help!

1. What is the folder path that you shared?
2. On the moOde Music Source screen does your Mac show up in the list after clicking SCAN?

IME connecting to Mac SMB shares from moOde/Linux is problematic. Typically for a correctly defined path the first time fails and then the second succeeds. This behavior repeats after each reboot/powerup...

I haven't tested this in years so YMMV.

RE: How to I mount iTunes library? - isaacc7 - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 01:23 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 03:38 AM)isaacc7 Wrote: I was not able to find this topic via search but I could have missed it. I would like to use my iTunes library as my Moode library. I am running macOS Catalina. I have file sharing turned on and I have the right folder selected to share. What I can't figure out is what I am supposed to use as the path. I keep getting 

1. What is the folder path that you shared?
2. On the moOde Music Source screen does your Mac show up in the list after clicking SCAN?

IME connecting to Mac SMB shares from moOde/Linux is problematic. Typically for a correctly defined path the first time fails and then the second succeeds. This behavior repeats after each reboot/powerup...

I haven't tested this in years so YMMV.

The path I tried is smb://192.168.1.206/Users/isaac/Music. None of the folders I have marked for sharing has shown up when I hit the scan button. That’s why I was wondering if I had misconfigured the sharing settings on the Mac.

If I can’t get this folder mounted can I use LMS on the Mac and browse the files on Moode?

You did not post the folder path that you shared on your Mac so we could help you set the correct path in moOde's Music Source config but in any case if your Mac host doesn't even show up in the SCAN list on moOde then your network prolly has broken Samba discovery.

(09-16-2020, 02:26 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You did not post the folder path that you shared on your Mac so we could help you set the correct path in moOde's Music Source config but in any case if your Mac host doesn't even show up in the SCAN list on moOde then your network prolly has broken Samba discovery.

Didn’t I? I posted smb://192.168.1.206/Users/isaac/Music, is that not the right thing? Thought that was the template a previous poster had put in a response. 

I can poke around in the router for options around SMB. 

Post a screen shot of System preferences, Sharing.

(09-16-2020, 02:52 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Post a screen shot of System preferences, Sharing.

Here it is:

[attachment=1641]

I appreciate the help!

RE: How to I mount iTunes library? - exocet - 09-16-2020

You could also consider using something like Linn Kazoo Server, Serviio, Universal Media Server or similar software on the machine with iTunes, and configure that to share your iTunes music folder via uPNP.

If you still want to use file sharing, your path would be "//192.168.1.206/Music" .  If you enter "192.168.1.206" then <scan> you should see the two folders.

You can also try browsing from an Android phone using a file utility (or a Windows or different Mac computer) - point it at the server (192.168.1.206) and see what shares are visible.  You should in your case see "Music" and "Isaac's Public Folder".  If not, you might be blocking access with the Mac's firewall.