Moode Forum
[PROBLEM] local display with AVR stalls - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] local display with AVR stalls (/showthread.php?tid=5298)

Pages: 1 2

local display with AVR stalls - nosferatu_cat - 01-13-2023

Just for the heck of it I connected a PI 3A+ to my AVR via HDMI.  They AVR supports DLNA but can be flaky and can't queue up more than one directory at a time.  The SQ with the PI is great.  I decided to try using local display.  The AVR has an HDMI pass through that works fine with the cable box. 

The Moode local display starts to come up but very slowly.  I gave up after ten minutes or so.  It's not a huge deal since I expected to control Moode through my phone or tablet, but I would have liked to see the now playing and playlist displays on the TV. 

The TV is "smart" and could be used to access Moode through its browser but that involves setting up a wireless keyboard and redirecting the TV audio to the receiver with an optical cable.  Using the TV as a display is more straightforward.

Is this working as expected?  Would a more muscular Pi like a 4 work better?  Does using the Android display simultaneously with the TV impede performance?  The AVR is a Denon that's about 8 years old.  The TV is a Samsung from 2017.

RE: local display with AVR stalls - Tim Curtis - 01-13-2023

Try connecting the Pi directly to one of the TV HDMI inputs.

RE: local display with AVR stalls - nosferatu_cat - 01-13-2023

(01-13-2023, 04:49 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Try connecting the Pi directly to one of the TV HDMI inputs.

It's worth a try to see if the display is more responsive but I'd prefer not to involve the TV in the audio chain if I can.  I like having one cable.  Smile

RE: local display with AVR stalls - Tim Curtis - 01-13-2023

its just a first step to try and isolate the issue "Moode local display starts to come up but very slowly".

The local display should come up very quickly after moOde startup is complete and if it doesn't then there is a bottleneck somewhere. The challenge is to try and find it.

RE: local display with AVR stalls - kit1cat - 01-16-2023

Just tried connecting moode to my 50" TV via one of my AV receivers hdmi sockets and no problems with speed after the moode startup is completed, and it's looking very good. Cover view works as well. 
The main UI looks better with the default pixel setting, but cover view works best with the square pixel setting. Is there any way to change from the main UI view to cover view on the fly?

[attachment=3147]

RE: local display with AVR stalls - Nutul - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 01:39 PM)kit1cat Wrote: Just tried connecting moode to my 50" TV via one of my AV receivers hdmi sockets and no problems with speed after the moode startup is completed, and it's looking very good. Cover view works as well. 
The main UI looks better with the default pixel setting, but cover view works best with the square pixel setting. Is there any way to change from the main UI view to cover view on the fly?

You can use "Automatic Display" and "Timed Display" in the m => Preferences, in the last section at the bottom (COVERVIEW).

(01-16-2023, 01:56 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 01:39 PM)kit1cat Wrote: Just tried connecting moode to my 50" TV via one of my AV receivers hdmi sockets and no problems with speed after the moode startup is completed, and it's looking very good. Cover view works as well. 

You can use "Automatic Display" and "Timed Display" in the m => Preferences, in the last section at the bottom (COVERVIEW).

On my setup, that shows the cover view OK, but no way to get the UI view back without turning "Automatic Display" off and rebooting.

RE: local display with AVR stalls - Tim Curtis - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 02:17 PM)kit1cat Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 01:56 PM)Nutul Wrote:

On my setup, that shows the cover view OK, but no way to get the UI view back without turning "Automatic Display" off and rebooting.

When the "Automatic display" setting is changed LocalUI simply restarts and there should be no need to reboot.

The command below can be used to turn CoverView on/off on the local display.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ /var/www/util/coverview.php --help
Usage: coverview [OPTION]
CoverView screen saver

With no OPTION print the help text and exit.

-on            Show CoverView screen saver
-off           Hide CoverView screen saver
--help         Print this help text
pi@moode:~ $

IIRC there used to be a toggle button for this in System config in an earlier release of moOde. If you think it would be useful to have a button to manually turn CoverView on/off I can add it back for upcoming 8.2.5.

Btw, if you just want CoverView displayed on your TV but not on any other connected clients leave "Timed display" set to "Never".

RE: local display with AVR stalls - Nutul - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 02:17 PM)kit1cat Wrote: (...) Is there any way to change from the main UI view to cover view on the fly?

(...) On my setup, that shows the cover view OK, but no way to get the UI view back without turning "Automatic Display" off and rebooting.

Then... I don't understand what you want to achieve.
Since your 50' is not a touch screen, you control moOde via a phone/tablet/desktop anyway... I do not see any problem.

Thanks for your replies, guys.

It was more of a question than a problem. I am more than happy with the UI display on my telly. I had just expected the TV display to mirror the display shown on my iPad, press cover button to change to cover view, then press album to return to Ui view.

I tend to use my iPad for other things when I am listening to moode, so it could be handy to have UI displayed on the telly.