Moode Forum
AlSA volume changing - Allo Katana Dac. - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: AlSA volume changing - Allo Katana Dac. (/showthread.php?tid=904)

AlSA volume changing - Allo Katana Dac. - Lizard_King - 01-14-2019

I am using Moode 4.4 wit the RPI 3b+ and Allo Katana Dac 1.2 , full stack. i am using a neae files system and i like to set ALSA volume at 94 yet when I  notice the ALSA setting changes and goes up to 98 or 99.

Any idea what is causing this?

RE: AlSA volume changing - Allo Katana Dac. - Tim Curtis - 01-14-2019

Post the following and I'll have a look

1. cat /var/log/moode.log
2. screen shots showing the different alsa values

RE: AlSA volume changing - Allo Katana Dac. - Lizard_King - 01-16-2019

anyone else happen THIS PROBLEM?

RE: AlSA volume changing - Allo Katana Dac. - JST1963 - 01-17-2019

I'm not sure exactly what he means but it looks like the problem I have.
I put the MPD Volume Control to 'Disabled". That way I always have 100% volume and I can control the volume with knob on the connected amplifier.
But since I'm also using a low impedance headphone I don't want to blow my headphone (or my ears) if the volume is too loud.
So I set the ALSA volume to 80%. That way, if the volume knob is completely turned open, it is of course still too loud, but it will not ruin my headphones.
Unfortunately I have to set it back to 80% every time I reboot the system.

When I set the MPD Volume Control to "Hardware" I don't really understand this ALSA Volume setting under Devices, because every time I change the volume (on the web UI this time) this value also changes...

Johan

RE: AlSA volume changing - Allo Katana Dac. - Tim Curtis - 01-17-2019

Hi Johan,

When an audio device has its own on-chip volume controller moOde will offer the "Hardware" option in MPD config. Hardware in this case refers to ALSA volume. This option results in MPD setting the audio devices volume controller directly rather than using its own Software volume routine. Thats why you see ALSA volume change (logarithmically) when you change the moOde knob value.

There are two other configs that are possible when an audio device has its own volume controller.

1. MPD Software volume.
moOde sets ALSA volume to 100% to ensure 0dB output when MPD Software volume is 100%.

2. MPD volume Disabled
Same as #1 except that MPD volume will always be at 100%

The usage scenario you described seems to have a conflict where on the one hand you have set MPD volume to Disabled so you get 0dB (100%) output to your Amp which has its own volume control but then when you plug in headphones you want moOde to output 80% volume.

How is moOde to know when headphones are plugged in?

If you always want 80% volume then you could turn on the Parametric EQ and set the master gain to a negative dB value that results   ~80% volume.

Another option is that I could implement a setting that would determine what the ALSA volume level would be set to when the audio device has a hardware volume controller and MPD volume was set to Disabled or Software. If I get more requests for something like this I can add to the TODO list.

RE: AlSA volume changing - Allo Katana Dac. - JST1963 - 01-17-2019

(01-17-2019, 02:53 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi Johan,

1. How is moOde to know when headphones are plugged in?

2. If you always want 80% volume then you could turn on the Parametric EQ and set the master gain to a negative dB value that results   ~80% volume.

3. Another option is that I could implement a setting that would determine what the ALSA volume level would be set to when the audio device has a hardware volume controller and MPD volume was set to Disabled or Software. If I get more requests for something like this I can add to the TODO list.

1. Good point  Blush 

2. EQp option works fine for me. Thx!

3. Nobody will stop you  Big Grin 

Johan