Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

moOde 5 Release Candidate RC0
(03-29-2019, 10:39 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 08:12 AM)moodenigo Wrote: I can no longer use the parametric eq

"Failed to open "ALSA parametric eq" (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device "eqfa4p": No such file or directory"

Did you set ALSA auto-format=No in the MPD Config panel? If so, try reenabling it. See Tim's response to Blixa in http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...78#pid9078

Regards,
Kent

I've even added a warning to the MPD config screen regarding the setting. 

My original thought was to expose the ALSA settings on MPD config in the spirit of allowing precise control over "bit-perfectness". I'm still debating whether to leave the settings exposed...
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-29-2019, 11:48 AM)peredovitch Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 10:48 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Sorry, I don't have a ready explanation for the small issue, but I'm willing to bet that any cheap USB DAC would sound better than the first-gen RPi's onboard audio, even in your r4.4 setup.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks! I wasn't expecting a miracle... :Smile I'm probably up against hardware limits here in terms of both processor and RAM usage... I remember it took me some time with 4.4 to figure out stable overclock and zram settings. 

That Moode 4.4 would work at all on such a low-end "legacy" setup -- let alone work so flawlessly and with such SQ! -- is a testimony to the amazing work that went into optimizing MoodeAudio!! Kudos and many thanks for providing us with such a robust and light-weight software!

Will get a basic DAC and keep fiddling around with the setup and Moode 5 -- will report the results back, might be of interest to people who still have a 1st-gen Pi lying around!

Its prolly RAM issue.

Try running moodeutl -m and see whats printed for CPU and RAM utilization.
Enjoy the Music!
(03-29-2019, 12:19 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @peredovitch

I'm amazed you got it running at all. I long ago gave away my 1st-gen RPis to a local high school club.

I assume you have minimized the amount of RAM set aside for the GPU.

And don't forget to try @TookaFace's suggestion. You can choose which MPD version to use in the Audio config panel.

Regards,
Kent

Haha yeah I don't give up easily on my old Pi(s). Took some time and fine-tuning to get it up and working though - but I liked the challenge Smile
Thanks Kent and @TookaFace for the suggestions. Yep gpu_mem is set to 16 already and switching MPD versions didn't make a difference.
Will see with a DAC (would be a nice hardware improvement in any case) and otherwise the perfectly good Moode 4.4 will live happily ever after on this one device! Smile
Love the UI and Library improvements in Moode 5 and will be sure to upgrade on other devices!
(03-29-2019, 12:50 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Its prolly RAM issue.

Try running moodeutl -m and see whats printed for CPU and RAM utilization.

That's what I thought - but actually while listening to one of the Audiophile radio streams, moodeutl -m shows RAM usage around 65% with zram swap on and 70% with zram off, and CPU load between 10-30%. Which doesn't look too bad.
Sound quality with Moode 4.4 is as good as it gets with the humble RPi output - Moode is doing an *awesome* job really!
With Moode 5 any "dense" music like orchestral music is not listenable at all - sound is "wobbly", out of sync and creaky. "Lighter" music and speech are somewhat more listenable, but not by much...
*Maybe* related - the BBC 320K streams fail to play on either install (4.4 and 5) - "failed to decode" error, might well be some hardware limitation too? Not much a problem either since I can always fall back on the lower-quality streams tht you kindly provided too Smile

Will try and tinker some more - if only for the fun of it -, otherwise I'll be content keeping 4.4 going on the old  RPi Smile
@peredovitch

Love your persistence!

The BBC 320K streams are geo-fenced. I can't play them here in USA either.

Regards,
Kent
(03-29-2019, 10:39 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 08:12 AM)moodenigo Wrote: I can no longer use the parametric eq

"Failed to open "ALSA parametric eq" (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device "eqfa4p": No such file or directory"

Did you set ALSA auto-format=No in the MPD Config panel? If so, try reenabling it. See Tim's response to Blixa in http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...78#pid9078

Regards,
Kent

No, it was really silly. I disconnected the USB cable...
lol
Enjoy the Music!
The Moode 5 works great with in my setup running a PCM1794 DAC.
I am using a 16gb SD card and I have installed extra software I terms of Java, bubble upnp and Node red. I am already max out on space in the /dev/root folder at 2.9GB. I did also run the apt-get upgrade command...
Is it possible to extend the size of the /dev/root folder to add space for extra programs? Would the size increase at /dev/root (percentage wise) if I use a 32GB SD instead?

Thanks for this great Audio Player :-)
(03-30-2019, 11:10 AM)miklau Wrote: The Moode 5 works great with in my setup running a PCM1794 DAC.
I am using a 16gb SD card and I have installed extra software I terms of Java, bubble upnp and Node red. I am already max out on space in the /dev/root folder at 2.9GB. I did also run the apt-get upgrade command...
Is it possible to extend the size of the /dev/root folder to add space for extra programs? Would the size increase at /dev/root (percentage wise) if I use a 32GB SD instead?

Thanks for this great Audio Player :-)

Did you remember to EXPAND the file system (from the System Config panel)?

Here's a 16GB SD card before and after expansion on my system:

Code:
16GB card, default moOde image
/dev/root        2991472 2045236    791700  73% /

16GB card, after file system expansion
/dev/root       15239572 2047188  12543332  15% /

Regards,
Kent
Thanks Kent :-)

That solved the issue. I overlooked this great function :-)

Regards/
Mikkel