Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Can’t connect to NAS
Hi Simon.

Ok, some basics to try and help.

1) On the PI, did you enter the IP address or did it just pick that 192 address?
2) Are you connecting the PI via Wireless or via an Ethernet cable?

Can you provide a screenshot of the Moode Networking screen?

Do you know how to SSH to devices? Not being derogatory or anything like that, just trying to understand your knowledge so we can further try things.

As Tim mentioned, networking can have godzillions of configurations, and everyone is different. But, there are some basics we can help to get right for you.

Rob
Pi 4B 2GB, HiFi Berry Digi+, Original 7" Raspberry Pi Screen, Ethernet Connected, Sandisk Ultra10 SD card, 5amp power supply (Drives the PI and Screen separately) streaming audio via NFS shares from QNAP NAS.
Simon,

I have a Synology NAS and have had huge issues connecting to the most current version of moOde via NFS. In particular the music file syncing process produces loads of errors but oddly many files are just fine. That is my issue not yours so let me see if I can help to get you closer to getting connected. If you want to send me a PM I am more than happy to share what I learned over the few years. When I started with moOde back in 2016 I had no experience and no technical skills ( not sure TC remembers, at least I hope not) but luckily with persistence and the help of those you will interact here I have been enjoying the music with moOde.

Although many on this forum have tried so far we have been unable to crack it. My issues arise after connecting to
Thanks again for your input.

Ok. I’ve slept on it and I think I’ve had an inkling of what it might be. Last night (I’m in Australia so probably on a different time zone to most of you) after trying unsuccessfully to change the IP address of the NAS manually, in desperation I hit the reset button which clears all the network configuration. Sure enough, instead of coming back with 10.1.1.5, it allocated 10.1.1.7, even though everything else is still a 192.168.68 subnet.

Now, everything used to be on the 10.1.1 subnet, I realise now, because the router modem I was using from my isp is at 10.1.1.1, hence the NAS being on that subnet. A couple of months ago I added a mesh router system to my home, which is obviously the source of the 192.168.68 subnet, but the NAS isn’t plugged into that, it’s still plugged directly into the original ISPs router, in the "comms cupboard" (linen cupboard) which is now mostly being just used as a modem, except that it also has the NAS plugged into it, hence it has its own little network. So, when it reset it was allocated an IP address from the old router.

Everything has been running a little weird since I got the mesh routers but I just put it down to me adjusting to the new type of network and I made do. Turns out I had two networks the whole time. I got them to talk to each other, mostly, but they were fighting me.

When I get home from work tonight I’ll plug the NAS directly into the new mesh router without the modem in the chain and reset it to see if it gets allocated a 192.168.168 address. I have a feeling it will.

I’ll report back
(10-08-2019, 09:27 PM)simonmuller Wrote: Thanks again for your input.

Ok. I’ve slept on it and I think I’ve had an inkling of what it might be. Last night (I’m in Australia so probably on a different time zone to most of you) after trying unsuccessfully to change the IP address of the NAS manually, in desperation I hit the reset button which clears all the network configuration. Sure enough, instead of coming back with 10.1.1.5, it allocated 10.1.1.7, even though everything else is still a 192.168.68 subnet.

Now, everything used to be on the 10.1.1 subnet, I realise now, because the router modem I was using from my isp is at 10.1.1.1, hence the NAS being on that subnet. A couple of months ago I added a mesh router system to my home, which is obviously the source of the 192.168.68 subnet, but the NAS isn’t plugged into that, it’s still plugged directly into the original ISPs router, in the "comms cupboard" (linen cupboard) which is now mostly being just used as a modem, except that it also has the NAS plugged into it, hence it has its own little network. So, when it reset it was allocated an IP address from the old router.

Everything has been running a little weird since I got the mesh routers but I just put it down to me adjusting to the new type of network and I made do. Turns out I had two networks the whole time. I got them to talk to each other, mostly, but they were fighting me.

When I get home from work tonight I’ll plug the NAS directly into the new mesh router without the modem in the chain and reset it to see if it gets allocated a 192.168.168 address. I have a feeling it will.

I’ll report back

FYI - MY isp provided a modem/router that I have set to IP pass through mode and wifi is an Orbi RBK50. On my wifi all the devices have this format 10.0.0.X Last I found it helpful to assign a static ip to the RPI  
(10-08-2019, 09:27 PM)simonmuller Wrote: Thanks again for your input.

I’ll report back

Simon, Im in Oz too.

I would say your ISP Router is dishing out IP addresses and so is your  mesh router (DHCP). Only one DHCP server per network is allowed.

Rob
Pi 4B 2GB, HiFi Berry Digi+, Original 7" Raspberry Pi Screen, Ethernet Connected, Sandisk Ultra10 SD card, 5amp power supply (Drives the PI and Screen separately) streaming audio via NFS shares from QNAP NAS.
Well, that was a bust. Mostly

I plugged the NAS directly into the Mesh router. The router only has two LAN ports. One usually connects to the modem in the comms cupboard, the other one is connected to a switch with the whole AV cabinet, including the Pi, coming off it. I replaced the modem with the NAS and reset it but I couldn't find it on the network at all.

Next, I pulled the NAS out of the comms cupboard and plugged it directly into the switch in the AV cabinet and, voila! it was assigned a 192.168.68 address which I was able to use to log into it via a browser. "great", I thought. "It's assigned itself a usable IP address and I can put it back in the comms cupboard and I'll be up and running"

Turns out, no. As soon as I plugged it back into the modem it was back on the 10.1.1 address and I was back where I started.

So, I've discovered that, even though I'm learning, networking doesn't really work how i think it works and, unless someone has any other ideas, the only solution is to go under the house with all the spiders and run another ethernet cable from the comms cupboard to the switch in the AV cabinet. I hate going under the house!

The only other thing I can think is to work out how to change the NAS IP address manually, which I found out how to do but I couldn't make it stick. I'm presuming this is because, even though it is on a network that can communicate with the mesh routers, it won't hold on to one of their addresses because it's not directly connected, right?

Is there something I'm missing?

Anyhow, it's way after midnight and my brain hurts.

G'night
Symptoms suggest that you have two Routers, both running DHCP/DNS that are active on your network.

What are the manufacturer and model names of the Mesh Router and what you refer to as your Modem?

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
IT'S WORKING!

Sorry to shout but, just on a whim I went into the networking page of Moode and assigned the Pi a static IP address on the same subnet as the NAS and I got a green tick!!! It started indexing the library and in no time the sweet sounds of Al Green filled the room Smile

This doesn't fix a whole host of problems (that i won't go into here) that I'm now attributing to the different subnets but at least I can listen to Moode while I drive myself mad trying to fix it.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions and I'm happy to take further suggestions here if there's a better way to do it. At least i got choons though Big Grin
Thats great but if you don't mind, what's the manuf and model of your Mesh Router and the "Modem"?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-09-2019, 01:56 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Thats great but if you don't mind, what's the manuf and model of your Mesh Router and the "Modem"?

Sure. The mesh routers are two TPLink M5s https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networki...o/deco-m5/ and the modem (which I now suspect is still working as a router, contrary to what the ISP support people told me) is a TG-789 https://www.iinet.net.au/hardware/tg789/