Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Buzzing Sound when playing MP3 & WAV files
I am a new user to Moode Audio. I must compliment you, the sound quality is very good.

Whenever a MP3 or a WAV file is played, there is a background buzz which plays thru the speakers. This buzz is absent in flac files. It is a low volume buzz, which can be heard if I set the volume to 1 or 2, or when there is a silent passage in the song.

Is there a cure for this?
Is MPD set to Software volume?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-20-2019, 08:39 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Is MPD set to Software volume?

Yes, it is. The buzz doesn't get amplified, though, so at normal listening levels it is masked by the song. In quieter passages it is audible.

I am using RPI3B / Katana dac / Shanti PSU / latest Moode version.

Mode is set for 32bit, Performance. File system has been expanded. No tweaks have been made in configuration so far.
IIRC the very faint noise is due to a bug in the dithering routine in MPD's software volume algorithm for 16 bit format.

Since you are running Katana which includes a superb ESS on-chip, low distortion hardware volume controller simply set MPD volume control to Hardware.

If for some reason you want to use MPD Software volume then set SoX resampling to 32 bit / * Khz.
Enjoy the Music!
(11-21-2019, 03:26 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: IIRC the very faint noise is due to a bug in the dithering routine in MPD's software volume algorithm for 16 bit format.

Since you are running Katana which includes a superb ESS on-chip, low distortion hardware volume controller simply set MPD volume control to Hardware.

If for some reason you want to use MPD Software volume then set SoX resampling to 32 bit / * Khz.

Hi, I downloaded Moode yesterday and have the exact same problem. I stream music from a server PC running Audirvana to an Allo Digione Signature, which outputs to a Yaggdrasil DAC. With no preamp in the chain I  have Moode set to use software volume control. My DAC automatically up-samples all files to 24/192. The buzzing only occurs with 16/44 files. Any recommendation on where to set the SoX re-sampling? Any chance this bug will be resolved? Compared to Volumio I prefer Moode. Thanks and have a great feast today!
The 16-bit dithering issue is fixed in the yet to be released MPD 0.22 series
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/issues/63

Set SoX to either 24 or 32-bit / * kHz or set MPD volume control to "Hardware" if its listed in the dropdown.
Enjoy the Music!
Thanks!