Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

keeping system up to date
Hello-
A new user to moOde here with a quick question - is it considered proper procedure to update the underlying debian system through apt like any other debian system, or should I wait for official system updates? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere!
Updating the "underlying debian system through apt" usually leads to breakage...

Official system updates are the way to do it..:-)

Tim has indicated an update for Jan 2020.
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...5#pid15295

Updates are announced here...
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17
----------
bob
(12-25-2019, 12:45 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Updating the "underlying debian system through apt" usually leads to breakage...

Official system updates are the way to do it..:-)

Tim has indicated an update for Jan 2020.
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...5#pid15295

Updates are announced here...
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17

Right on, thanks! Still finding my way around the forums (and the system).
Sad 
(12-25-2019, 12:45 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Updating the "underlying debian system through apt" usually leads to breakage...

I can confirm: it does lead to breakage.
Back from holidays, rountinely update all my systems through ssh...doing it for hte moode box without thinking... it killed my moode.
This is one of those hit-or-miss propositions.

Many Raspberry Pi OS (formerly known as Raspbian) package upgrades are benign; a few are disruptive. That's why some users have been able to report they have been doing it all the time without a problem. They just haven't hit one of the disruptive ones yet.

My guess is the easiest way to go wrong with confidence is to upgrade a system service and in the upgrade process accept a new, default configuration file rather than keep the one that moOde has customized in some way.

But the reason an upgrade causes moOde to fail doesn't really matter. Tim and his team test moOde as shipped and can't easily diagnose issues which arise because of changes.

The moOde release cycle is reasonably quick so you're never very far behind the curve.

Of course if you like living dangerously there's nothing to stop you. Tongue

Regards,
Kent
(09-14-2020, 01:37 PM)defthoms Wrote:

I can confirm: it does lead to breakage.
Back from holidays, rountinely update all my systems through ssh...doing it for hte moode box without thinking... it killed my moode.

I routinely update all my Raspberry Pis, including two Moode boxes. Without problems.

If you can figure what broke, and how, it could be useful to other users.

Cheers,

Phil

Typically each major release of RaspiOS includes a new release of PHP if one is available. Since there are PHP version and directory dependencies in moOde there will be a lot of breakage.

In any case the moOde project only supports the software versions shipped in our releases or the versions provided via one of our in-place software updates. It's not possible for us to provide support or troubleshooting for manually installed updated or upgrades.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-14-2020, 04:54 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Typically each major release of RaspiOS includes a new release of PHP if one is available. Since there are PHP version and directory dependencies in moOde there will be a lot of breakage.

In any case the moOde project only supports the software versions shipped in our releases or the versions provided via one of our in-place software updates. It's not possible for us to provide support or troubleshooting for manually installed updated or upgrades.

Why why why didn't I read the forums first?? Yes! Breakage! Today! Right now!

Re php: I had a moment of truth. I was asked "Blah blah blah php file update? blah blah blah" and I said yes. Maybe saying no would have saved me some grief? Well, I won't go this route again so I guess I'll never know...

Argh,

S&C
I tested with a clean install.

Configured moode, then sudo apt update, sudo apt full-upgrade and accepted the "keep existing php.ini" option and nothing broke.

Not sure what went wrong for others.

Phil