Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Change WiFi After Initial Setup - Want to give to a friend
I've setup a Rasberry Pi zero W with Allo Mini Boss for my dad.  I will be mailing it to him.  I want to be able to provide instructions on how to set it up when he receives it.  I've set it up and tested it on my WiFi and created a few stations that he wants but are not in the library.   How can I tell him to log into the system to change the WiFi to his IP and password?   After initial setup I no longer see the Pi showing up on the WiFi, so I can't tell him to connect to it directly unless there is another way to do it.

Thanks for the help!

Eric
Speaking as a dad and granddad, what a thoughtful idea!

I'm puzzled by "After initial setup I no longer see the Pi showing up on the WiFi". How were you connected to it during initial setup?

Basically, you want to send your dad a system which comes up in Access Point mode when it's powered up. You give him instructions on how to associate with it using a device with WiFi capability, like a phone, tablet, or computer, how to open the WebUI using a browser on the device, how to use Network Config to add and save the credentials for his home network's SSID and password, and then how to reboot. Once he's done that, it'll be on his network.

If you did all the setup while it was in Access Point mode, you're done.

If you configured it for your home wireless network while you were setting it up then you need to undo that step. Go to Network Config, select "None (Activates AP mode)" for the SSID, save, and reboot. It should again come up in Access Point mode.

It's not clear to me what state it's in now.

Regards,
Kent
(04-01-2020, 02:56 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Speaking as a dad and granddad, what a thoughtful idea!

I'm puzzled by "After initial setup I no longer see the Pi showing up on the WiFi". How were you connected to it during initial setup?

Basically, you want to send your dad a system which comes up in Access Point mode when it's powered up. You give him instructions on how to associate with it using a device with WiFi capability, like a phone, tablet, or computer, how to open the WebUI using a browser on the device, how to use Network Config to add and save the credentials for his home network's SSID and password, and then how to reboot. Once he's done that, it'll be on his network.

If you did all the setup while it was in Access Point mode, you're done.

If you configured it for your home wireless network while you were setting it up then you need to undo that step. Go to Network Config, select "None (Activates AP mode)" for the SSID, save, and reboot. It should again come up in Access Point mode.

It's not clear to me what state it's in now.

Regards,
Kent

I did all the setup in Access Point (AP) mode and verified it was working on my home WiFi.  I needed to set it back to AP mode.  Thanks for the solution, I'll set the WiFi back to "none" reboot and verify I can get back in via AP mode, then ship it to him.  

Thanks for your help!  One more question, where is the button to indicate that this is the solution to my question?

Eric
Edit your OP (post #1) There is a drop down next to the Title.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub