Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Hifiberry DIGI + PRO Clock Oscillator Upgrade
Hello Team!

I am enjoying Moode with Raspberry Pi3 and Hifiberry DIGI+ PRO. Up to now the PI's power (5V) is decoupled from the DIGI and the DIGI is fed by a separate LPS 3.3V, which is also completely disconnected from the PI. This is solved by a little barbarian approach by cutting/bending all PI's pins on the GPIO connector, which carry any power or ground. No 5V is used on the DIGI, as I do not need the optical out.
This setup sounds outstanding, but my hands are already itching to go further. I ordered Crystek clock oscillators to upgrade the ACME (both of them read B0HXA) ones on the DIGI. I also intend to feed the 3.3V on the clocks with a separate shunt regulator.
So here comes the issue Smile
Both of the clock oscillators are only marked with B0HXA and no model, make or frequency. X1 is connected to GPIO5 and X2 is connected to GPIO6 to the PI.
Does anyone have an idea how to identify which of these are 22.5792 and 24.576MHz?

Any input is welcome!

Best Regards,

Stilian
@Stilian

This is pretty hardcore! My late wife used to say I wasn't happy if I didn't have the smell of solder flux up my nose. (Actually, I think it was the lead fumes from the good old days which made me what I am today.)

My guess is you'll get an answer quicker over on diyaudio.com in the >Source and Line>PC Based forum. A lot of like-minded cutters and tweakers hang out there. Then there's always HiFiBerry's own website and community forum  Tongue

Regards,
Kent
Thanks Kent!

I was hoping that some of the software guys here would know which clock frequency is triggered thorough which GPIO pin. But if i do not find an answer, it is only 50% chance I got the chips put on the wrong position and at the end it only leads to more soldering - hence more fun Big Grin
In regards to the HiFiBerry forum - there the guys are quite bitter when they have to explain their designs, which I completely understand - it is money they have to make and not spill out know-how Wink
(05-18-2020, 07:33 AM)Stilian Wrote: Hello Team!

I am enjoying Moode with Raspberry Pi3 and Hifiberry DIGI+ PRO. Up to now the PI's power (5V) is decoupled from the DIGI and the DIGI is fed by a separate LPS 3.3V, which is also completely disconnected from the PI. This is solved by a little barbarian approach by cutting/bending all PI's pins on the GPIO connector, which carry any power or ground. No 5V is used on the DIGI, as I do not need the optical out.
<snip>

Best Regards,

Stilian

You're using the P6 connector to feed a DAC ?

I've tried this but moved on to another hat before doing anything about powering...perhaps I should revisit it.
Instead of bending pins I might just use an extender and snip pins on that.

What are you using for the 3v3 supply ?   AMS1117 or something else?

Cheers,
bob
----------
bob
Hello Bob!

I am feeding the DAC via an RCA connector. The DAC is even more heavily modified Benchmark DAC1. For the 3.3V I use Salas shunt regular (DIYaudio)

The result is indistinguishable from the output of my Cyrus CD-XT SE transport, which is a good one.

Best regards,

Stilian
@Stilian little bit late to the party I, but I am curious if the clock upgrades have been successful an what the result is ?

In case your are still looking for which clock is which freq:
X1 = 22.5792MHz
X2 = 24.576MHz

I have two Hifiberry Digi+ Pro at home, both with different, stock; the metal XpressO oscillators and a newer board with black plastic ones.
Some people prefer the Xpresso variants.

For isolation of the HB Digi I use an Allo Isolator with a small mod (https://www.bitlab.nl/page_id=130). Instead of the SPDIG/Toslink I use the I2S output. Before the isolation I had sometimes a crack or other unwanted artifacts. Not often but enough to annoy me.

At the moment I consider a clock upgrade by upgrading the HB digi clocks or replacing the HB digi and Allo Isolator by an Ian Canada Fifopi. Just to hear if there is any difference or not in my setup and with my ears.