Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: using UPnP
Question 
Hi. I'm new to Moode (6.5.2) which I have installed on my newly acquired Pi 4B. I've added (and configured) the Audiophonics DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M. One of my music sources is Google Play Music - soon to be You Tube Music. I followed the configuration in Moode as described, and I have BubbleUPnP on my android phone. Apart from a relatively long period of time for BubbleUPnP to connect to Moode UPNP (anything from around 10 secs to 30 secs), I only seem to be able to play a single track. Once I switch to accessing a playlist or Album in BubbleUPnP, I cannot get any playback in Moode.
My Google Play Music account has been configured in both BubbleUPnP and the Moode Player.
There's a raft of settings in both these apps, and I've not really got any idea what the problem(s) is. I think it's likely to be BubbleUPnP as other functionality seems to become disrupted.

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.
@mikeaudioDIY

Quote:a relatively long period of time for BubbleUPnP to connect to Moode UPNP (anything from around 10 secs to 30 secs)

This is very odd behavior. BubbleUPnP on my Google Pixel 3a phone connects virtually instantaneously.

Quote:I only seem to be able to play a single track. 

You don't say what android phone and what version of BubbleUPnP you are using. Version 3.4.8 just landed on my phone and in the What's New section I see "fixed possible broken Playlist track advance on some HUAWEI devices." May or may not be relevant. This isn't the first time there have been issues with playlists.

I have dropped my Google Play Music and Tidal accounts and no longer use any of the UPnP streaming service plugins included in moOde so I can't comment on that aspect.

As an FYI, though, configuring your Google Play Music credentials in both BubbleUPnP and moOde is redundant. Either do it in BubbleUPnP and access the Google Play Music via the cloud or do it in moOde and access the Google Play Music via moOde's proxy media server. 

Also as an FYI, although Google likes to make the transition from Google Play Music to YouTube Music sound transparent, in fact the APIs are entirely different and the open-source community hasn't caught up. I'm aware of a project to reverse engineer the protocol used by the YouTube Music web player but only time will tell if it is successful.

Regards,
Kent
(06-30-2020, 04:16 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @mikeaudioDIY

Quote:a relatively long period of time for BubbleUPnP to connect to Moode UPNP (anything from around 10 secs to 30 secs)

This is very odd behavior. BubbleUPnP on my Google Pixel 3a phone connects virtually instantaneously.

Quote:I only seem to be able to play a single track. 

You don't say what android phone and what version of BubbleUPnP you are using. Version 3.4.8 just landed on my phone and in the What's New section I see "fixed possible broken Playlist track advance on some HUAWEI devices." May or may not be relevant. This isn't the first time there have been issues with playlists.

I have dropped my Google Play Music and Tidal accounts and no longer use any of the UPnP streaming service plugins included in moOde so I can't comment on that aspect.

As an FYI, though, configuring your Google Play Music credentials in both BubbleUPnP and moOde is redundant. Either do it in BubbleUPnP and access the Google Play Music via the cloud or do it in moOde and access the Google Play Music via moOde's proxy media server. 

Also as an FYI, although Google likes to make the transition from Google Play Music to YouTube Music sound transparent, in fact the APIs are entirely different and the open-source community hasn't caught up. I'm aware of a project to reverse engineer the protocol used by the YouTube Music web player but only time will tell if it is successful.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent.

Funnily enough, I am using a HUAWEI !

Once I created a playlist in BubbleUPnP, and added one of my Google Music playlists to it, everything worked fine. 

I thought using BubbleUPnP and Moode to get to Google Music was OTT. I'm going to get rid of BubbleUPnP as I don't use it for anything else, and I'll try accessing via Moode's proxy media server.

Cheers
Quote:I'm going to get rid of BubbleUPnP as I don't use it for anything else, and I'll try accessing via Moode's proxy media server.

Sorry, you still need a UPnP Control Point, whether BubbleUPnP or some other, to direct the UPnP Media Renderer (moOde) to play tracks from the UPnP Media Server (moOde again when it's the proxy for Google Play Music, Tidal, or Qobuz).

Regards,
Kent
[quote pid='21854' dateline='1593688210']
Sorry, you still need a UPnP Control Point, whether BubbleUPnP or some other, to direct the UPnP Media Renderer (moOde) to play tracks from the UPnP Media Server (moOde again when it's the proxy for Google Play Music, Tidal, or Qobuz).

[/quote]

Yep. Understood. I'm looking into installing BubbleUPnP on my Pi (instead of my phone) - do you think that will work, or will I be wasting my time ? Bubble UPnP will only ever be used as a Control Point. My preference is to build a chromecast receiver app on the pi - but that's a whole different ball game, and it's consuming some time just researching it. Whilst I've plenty of time on my hands (retiree), I'd rather not waste it just in case the sun shines 

Wink

Thanks again
Hey, if you have the chops to build a Chromecast receiver you don't need my kibbitzing Tongue 

I gave up on my own half-baked idea of hacking a Chromecast renderer for moOde after digging through a lot of Google dev docs. I look forward to seeing you succeed.

Regards,
Kent
There is no open-source implementation of the Chromecast protocol or API so you won't be able to make a Pi into a Chromecast.
BubbleUPnP is an excellent UPnP app. I recommend you stick to that.