Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Low FPS in Chrome, Safari but not Firefox
When I run the moode.local UI on a Mac using Safari or Chrome I am getting very low frames-per-second (FPS) when scrolling. On Firefox the rendering is fast. It’s not some extensions or ad-blocking causing this, so any ideas on what is causing this?

NB: While in Firefox I’m noticing some more bugs:
1) The monospaced font is not defined correctly and falls back to the default Courier.
2) Adding an album to the playlist does not add all the tracks! This also happens in the other browsers, but not in an MPD client such as Rigelian. <-- This one is very odd.
(07-30-2020, 12:11 PM)hestehandler Wrote: When I run the moode.local UI on a Mac using Safari or Chrome I am getting very low frames-per-second (FPS) when scrolling. On Firefox the rendering is fast. It’s not some extensions or ad-blocking causing this, so any ideas on what is causing this?

1) The monospaced font is not defined correctly and falls back to the default Courier.
2) Adding an album to the playlist does not add all the tracks! This also happens in the other browsers, but not in an MPD client such as Rigelian. <-- This one is very odd.

You haven't provided any details.

Here's my quick test with an Apple product:

1) moOde 6.7.1 on an RPi3A+ with WiFi connection to distant access point/router (connectivity info isn't relevant in this case but you should always say.)

2) NAS services on an Linux-based OpenMediaVault installation connected via Ethernet to the same access point/router. (also not relevant in this case but you should always say.)

2) iPad 9.7 (iOS 13.5.1) - also WiFi connection

In the Playback view, I have a 50-item queue. I have ca 600 albums with covers in the Library view. For any scrollable element in the moOdeUI interface, I see no perceptible difference in scrollrate using up-to-date Safari, Chrome, or Firefox Focus. They all scroll as fast as I can move my finger.

As for your 'bugs'

#1 sounds like a classic browser kerfuffle over the fonts it knows. Again, details matter.
#2 sounds like a track tagging problem. Should be dealt with as a separate issue backed with details about the misbehaving album tracks and the method you use to "add an album to the playlist".

Regards,
Kent
All OS, browser, and Moode versions latest. Moode on an Pi 4B, 4 GB. Mac and Pi both on 1 Gb Ethernet. All the ‘eye-candy’ turned off in the Moode UI.

Regarding #1 this should be easy for the developers to identify and fix. Let me know if they can’t reproduce the issue.
That's not really helpful, your issue is describing in-browser rendering issues so the spec of the Pi isn't relevant here.
What's important is what device you're running the web browser on, how big the library being rendered is etc.
Since you mention Rigelian I'm guessing you're using an iphone or ipad?

Scrolling my album list (8400 albums) in tag view in Chromium on my Android phone isn't super smooth, it a bit laggy but it's smooth enough, Firefox for Android on the other hand is super smooth as there's some hardware acceleration going on in Firefox. Scrolling on my Linux desktop PC with an Nvidia GPU is smooth on whatever browser and render time is faster due to the faster CPU. So yeah, details help.
(07-30-2020, 12:11 PM)hestehandler Wrote: When I run the moode.local UI on a Mac using Safari or Chrome I am getting very low frames-per-second (FPS) when scrolling. On Firefox the rendering is fast. It’s not some extensions or ad-blocking causing this, so any ideas on what is causing this?

Given that moOde is developed on Mac/Safari/Chrome and without any of the issues listed in your post I would conclude that it's something in your environment external to moOde software that causing your issues.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-30-2020, 01:53 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Given that moOde is developed on Mac/Safari/Chrome and without any of the issues listed in your post I would conclude that it's something in your environment external to moOde software that causing your issues.

I’ve made an Inspector recording of me scrolling and attached it. Perhaps this can help? (I don’t know, I’m not a web guy.)

.zip   moode.local-recording.json.zip (Size: 102.01 KB / Downloads: 5)
I need to be able to repro an issue in order to troubleshoot.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-30-2020, 04:46 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I need to be able to repro an issue in order to troubleshoot.

Let me know if you have an idea on how to examine this issue.
Solved this issue by clearing history from the Safari ‘Safari’ menu rather than the ‘Develop’ menu’s ‘Empty caches’. This nukes absolutely everything, but it did the trick – now Safari is by far the fastest out of all the browsers.