Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Instruction Guide Sound Tweaks Now on GitHub
Last year I had failed to get the Tweaks to install on 4.4, and decided to wait 'til 5.0 was released. This last week when I tried the automated script it failed and then the alternate 'manual' script failed with the same message (a 404). This led me to suspect the interaction of wget on the RPi 3B+ with my apalling internet connection. I then downloaded the files onto my desktop and moved them to the RPi. I very manually copied the files to the locations indicated by the script, set the permissions, modified or created the other files, and it all works fine.

As for sound quality, I noticed an immediate change in one respect. I have and Allo Boss, and I have used it with SoX upsampling to 384/24 to turn off the upsampling on the DAC chip. With Moode 5.0 I was getting a bit more 'breathiness' with vocals than I like. This is not sibilance like extended 'sss' sounds. People generally speak or sing with a little extra sound of air release like breathing, and I think this was mildly exaggerated. Your tweaks stopped this. I have test tracks to compare 44/16 files and 384/24 files with SoX enabled or disabled. It has been consistently true that I prefer files upsampled to 384/24 using SoX on the command line, removing the upasampling load from both the RPi and the DAC chip. With the Tweaks, the differences between these permutations have diminished. It may take me a good while to pick a favorite, particularly since I want my system to maximize my enjoyment of the music regardless of the quality of recording. Too much great music is poorly recorded.

Skip
I installed it today, wget, and it was flawless. Noticeable improvement in what was already very good sound. Thanks.
(04-20-2019, 06:31 PM)Skip Pack Wrote: Last year I had failed to get the Tweaks to install on 4.4, and decided to wait 'til 5.0 was released. This last week when I tried the automated script it failed and then the alternate 'manual' script failed with the same message (a 404). This led me to suspect the interaction of wget on the RPi 3B+ with my apalling internet connection. I then downloaded the files onto my desktop and moved them to the RPi. I very manually copied the files to the locations indicated by the script, set the permissions, modified or created the other files, and it all works fine.

As for sound quality, I noticed an immediate change in one respect. I have and Allo Boss, and I have used it with SoX upsampling to 384/24 to turn off the upsampling on the DAC chip. With Moode 5.0 I was getting a bit more 'breathiness' with vocals than I like. This is not sibilance like extended 'sss' sounds. People generally speak or sing with a little extra sound of air release like breathing, and I think this was mildly exaggerated. Your tweaks stopped this. I have test tracks to compare 44/16 files and 384/24 files with SoX enabled or disabled. It has been consistently true that I prefer files upsampled to 384/24 using SoX on the command line, removing the upasampling load from both the RPi and the DAC chip. With the Tweaks, the differences between these permutations have diminished. It may take me a good while to pick a favorite, particularly since I want my system to maximize my enjoyment of the music regardless of the quality of recording. Too much great music is poorly recorded.

Skip

Hi Skip 

Glad you finally got it installed.  Working on a more generic and robust way to get this done.

Glad to hear you noticed an improvement. 

I agree with your last statement .....Too much great music is poorly recorded. This is a travesty.
Thumbs Up 
(04-21-2019, 06:02 PM)jgee@vsgpartners.com Wrote: I installed it today, wget, and it was flawless. Noticeable improvement in what was already very good sound. Thanks.

Great, can I ask, what Dac or HAT you are using?
(04-21-2019, 08:16 PM)Edward Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 06:02 PM)jgee@vsgpartners.com Wrote: I installed it today, wget, and it was flawless. Noticeable improvement in what was already very good sound. Thanks.

Great, can I ask, what Dac or HAT you are using?

I live in an apartment and so cannot play music over speakers; it would bother the neighbors. So, I have a system where I use (wired) headphones, using the JustBoom Dac Hat because it amplifies the headphones. My little system includes the PI 7" touchscreen and boots off a USB drive. Maybe it is a "placebo" effect but your tweaks seem to have improved the music.
Hey Edward,
A big thank you for your hard work in writing the code to improving sound quality,it really works for me and I'd like to congratulate you for your effort here!
Kind regards
Mark
(04-22-2019, 02:09 PM)Strider Wrote: Hey Edward,
A big thank you for your hard work in writing the code to improving sound quality,it really works for me and I'd like to congratulate you for your effort here!
Kind regards
Mark

Thank you Mark!

Enjoy!! Big Grin
Hi Edward,

I have listened also to the tweak, I seem when listening to FI to piano the sound is OK
but it misses the attack off, I hear there is a body but not the headroom.

I play with PRI3b and Sabre DAC, I think the power supply and a modification of the RPI

thanks
(04-24-2019, 01:48 AM)Edward Wrote:
Kind regards
Mark

Thank you Mark!

Enjoy!! Big Grin

Hello,

I just installed your sound tweaking modifications and my Moode 5.3.1 system with Mamboberry Dac+ sounds like it never sounded. More air around the players, more dynamics and larger, deeper soundstage. Sound floats around and over the speakers instead of being more closed in. I feel my Mamboberry DAC can finally show all its potential.

I do not know how you did it, but you must have passed many hours compiling and testing everything to get to these major improvements. 

I'd also like to congatulate you for your efforts and the impressing results!

Best regards from Canada (please forgive my sometimes shaky English as I'm a French Canadian  Smile ),

JP
(07-20-2019, 08:59 PM)Edenmap1 Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 01:48 AM)Edward Wrote:
Kind regards
Mark

Thank you Mark!

Enjoy!! Big Grin

Hello,

I just installed your sound tweaking modifications and my Moode 5.3.1 system with Mamboberry Dac+ sounds like it never sounded. More air around the players, more dynamics and larger, deeper soundstage. Sound floats around and over the speakers instead of being more closed in. I feel my Mamboberry DAC can finally show all its potential.

I do not know how you did it, but you must have passed many hours compiling and testing everything to get to these major improvements. 

I'd also like to congatulate you for your efforts and the impressing results!

Best regards from Canada (please forgive my sometimes shaky English as I'm a French Canadian  Smile ),

JP

Hi JP

Glad you are hearing a positive improvement in sound. Yes it did take a long long time to dial in those settings.....years.

Enjoy the music...your English is great. Love Canada....Toronto Caribbean Festival was my favorite.

~Edward