Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality
Check out https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspbe...enchmarks/ which includes both Ethernet and Wifi numbers for the RPi4B and other recent models.

Note that a "real world" situation involving multiple WiFi clients communicating with each other and the external Internet via an access point will likely give much lower throughput because of the way WiFi works (and this before any consideration of your real-world environment---distances of separation, intervening materials, EMI from inside and outside your house, etc.). As well, the performance of your NAS will depend on its specific configuration (e.g., how it's tuned). Google is your friend if you want to pursue these subjects.

It's just one man's opinion, but I don't think setting up a NAS to service clients via WiFi is a good idea. In my case, I already installed 2 years ago an Odroid HC1-based NAS with an SSD hung on its SATA interface and connected to my access point/router via Ethernet. It's running Open Media Vault with lots of plugins installed. My players communicate with the access point via 5GHz WiFi for all those which support it and 2.4GHz to those which don't. There's lots of other WiFi traffic in the house too (Roku, laptops, smart phones, etc.). 

My only measure of performance is whether my several moOde players can play tracks simultaneously without interruptions. In this sense, my server works fine. I would not have saved any money with an RPi4B solution had it been available at the time. If I had to do it now, I'd likely start with the newer Odroid HC2 but there's no accounting for taste Smile

And, seriously, how about moving this thread out of the Sound Quality section?

Regards,
Kent

Messages In This Thread
Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by HaroldWilkin - 07-11-2019, 05:45 PM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Edward - 07-12-2019, 12:46 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Biston - 07-16-2019, 01:06 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Biston - 07-19-2019, 12:24 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Biston - 07-28-2019, 01:39 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by Tim Curtis - 07-29-2019, 02:14 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by TheOldPresbyope - 07-29-2019, 12:38 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi 4 sound quality - by zainframe - 10-29-2021, 04:01 PM