Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

CD Ripper
(07-22-2019, 03:38 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi Kent,

Interesting. There are obviously some big gaps in functionality so for the time being I'd put this on the shelf.

Getting cover art for ABCDE. :-0
http://www.andrews-corner.org/linux/abcd...umart.html

-Tim

Thanks, Tim.

I was reading the andrews-corner abcde notes over the weekend and also grep'ping through the abcde bash script (I thought some of your php files were long but this script takes the prize at 5585 lines!).

For playback, modifying moOde's backend code to return "Track n" as the track title instead of "cdda:///n" and "CD player" or somesuch instead of "Unknown artist-Unknown album" would prettify the playlist display. What to do with the action choices in the ellipsis and under the volume roundel is an open question. A simple tweak for the cover art would be to display a modified version of the default moOde graphic with a CD symbol on it when a cdda track is selected. Actual cover art is doable but is a sticky issue for me because of the following problem.

My CD collection is lopsidedly classical. Even with full-service programs like Exact Audio Copy I would sometimes see incorrect identification of an album and hence wrong metadata results returned from the online databases. The second CD I ripped with abcde was misidentified. The script can be configured to query either CDDB or MusicBrainz. CDDB offered one result and it was incorrect. MusicBrainz offered two results, the first wrong and the second right, but the script plowed forward with the first one. The script can be modified to allow user intervention but then it's no longer automatic. 

In the same vein, even with programs like Exact Audio Copy I'm often offered incorrect cover art as the default choice even when the CD is correctly identified. With the script this can be handled with yet more user intervention, but nailing the correct cover art in direct playback seems an unsolvable problem, at least to me.

Recordings of jazz and other genres seem less prone to mis-identification.

The recipe dev and I are engaged in ongoing email correspondence.

Regards,
Kent

Messages In This Thread
CD Ripper - by Frank Nicklin - 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM
RE: CD Ripper - by Tim Curtis - 07-18-2019, 11:20 PM
RE: CD Ripper - by TheOldPresbyope - 07-19-2019, 12:51 AM
RE: CD Ripper - by Tim Curtis - 07-19-2019, 01:54 AM
RE: CD Ripper - by Frank Nicklin - 07-21-2019, 09:06 AM
RE: CD Ripper - by TheOldPresbyope - 07-21-2019, 02:02 PM
RE: CD Ripper - by Tim Curtis - 07-22-2019, 03:38 AM
RE: CD Ripper - by TheOldPresbyope - 07-22-2019, 12:10 PM
RE: CD Ripper - by Tim Curtis - 07-22-2019, 03:02 PM