Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Khadas Tone Board - Tune Sound quality
(11-25-2019, 12:44 PM)happymax Wrote: Hello everybody,
a few days ago I installed this beautiful application on a RPI 3 B + connected to a Dac Khadas Tone Board.
Before discovering Moode, I used Foobar installed on a Windows 7 PC and connected via USB to the Dac KTB.
The sound quality of Moode is excellent but I can't get the same sound quality as Foobar in Windows which is better.
To configure the KTB Dac in Moode I simply indicate in the specification MPD - "USB Device".
I therefore believe it is a KTB driver problem that I installed in Windows while in Moode I don't know how to make a more specific configuration.
Can you give me some advice to improve sound quality?
Thanks.

You haven't given us any clues about the 'better' audio quality you get with Foobar/Windows.

In any case, there isn't a more specific configuration for this USB audio device in moOde/Linux (or any audio player on MacOS either). If you are suffering glitches you might try turning on the "USB (UAC2) fix" setting in the moOde System Config panel.

I've owned a KTB since last June. I'm satisfied with its performance (especially for its price) and use it regularly with one of my moOde players but for one specific reason I won't buy another.

Khadas has not implemented hardware volume control in the onboard XMOS firmware even though this function is supported in the ESS DAC chip. (The XMOS chip and firmware provides the interface between the USB port and the DAC chip).

This has been an ongoing issue on the Khadas forum. The response from Khadas has been "Use XMOS I2C can adjust volume but you need to update XMOS software,if you familiar with XMOS I think can have a try." 

Apart from the poor grammar, this response illustrates what I perceive as the basic problem with Khadas. They appear to be hardware guys who depend on third parties and third-party tools for firmware/software. Good luck getting useful documentation or support. I've read every post on the forum and given up. I had to do my own detective work to find the bug in their USB descriptor which was preventing moOde from recognizing it (and which Tim immediately patched around).

A minor issue with the KTB is the noticeable but mild audio "pop" I get if my amplifier is on when I power-cycle my moOde player. That's fixable; I've just been too lazy busy to do it.

Regards,
Kent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Khadas Tone Board - Tune Sound quality - by TheOldPresbyope - 11-25-2019, 02:16 PM