The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.34 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Use non Raspbian repos for certain packages
Coming from Arch Linux, I'm used to having all my packages at their latest and greatest versions. Now, when using MoOdeaudio and since it's based upon Raspbian, Some of my packages I use for ssh-ing are not updated to their latest upstream version. Notably:
  • Neovim:
    1. Current version in Raspbian's repos: 0.3.4,
    2. Upstream's version: 0.4.3
  • Tmux:
    1. Current version in Raspbian's repos: 2.8
    2. Upstream's version: 3.0

I know I can build just the two of these from source and get away with that, but I can imagine myself in need of latest versions of other packages which will not be available in Raspbian's repos (very typical to Debian distros  Dodgy ...).

I read over at Raspberry's Forums - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...p?t=168771 that it should be possible to add Debian repos to apt sources list, but this introduces a risk of breaking the OS. I can imagine that as I'm rather experienced with these kind of stuff, after changing distros a lot.

I'm wondering what risks would be specific to moOdeAudio's OS. I can imagine that keeping the kernel's update channel is important, and perhaps MPD as well? I can imagine it's possible to tell apt (which is used by moOde's updater I assume) to use Raspbian's repos to update the kernel but I'm not sure how to do that. I also wonder if there are any other risks or issues I might want to overcome in advance..

Thanks for any advice.

Messages In This Thread
Use non Raspbian repos for certain packages - by doronbehar - 03-07-2020, 10:11 AM