The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.34 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Problem: Failed to open "ALSA default" (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device "hw:0,0"
Good afternoon,

I am getting an error:
MPD Error

Failed to open "ALSA default" (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device "hw:0,0": No such file or directory

I am using Hifiberry DAC+ Pro HAT with Raspberry Pi 3B

I know this topic has come up before, and I've read through previous posts. What I've noticed is that most people have done one of two things:
  1. Turn off I2S audio DAC, restart, turn I2S audio DAC back on, restart -> everything works again
  2. Re-flash the whole moode audio, turn on I2S audio DAC -> everything works
I have tried method 1, and I am having no luck with it. I am hesitant to do method 2 as it means I loose all of the configuration, and have to re-configure from scratch. If there was a way to backup/restore configuration then I'd be ok with trying method two for now. I do understand that there are challenges associated with backup/restore of configuration (I've read the forum post).

Also, re-flash surely shouldn't be the solution to errors? How often will I need to re-flash? Weekly? Monthly? So with these comments what I am hoping for is a method to address the error that I am seeing, to try to get to the root of it and hopefully end up with a more stable system.

What's really odd about all of this is that everything was working fine for a few weeks. I then had the MPD error but it was 'fixed' with reboots. Now its there all the time. Maybe the Hifiberry DAC+ Pro is failing? I don't know enough to figure out what the problem may be.

Thanks for the help!

I've done some digging around and here is what I notice:
/var/log/mpd/log
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1822Sad_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
Mar 27 12:48 : exception: Failed to open "ALSA default" (alsa)
Mar 27 12:48 : exception: nested: Failed to open ALSA device "hw:0,0": No such file or directory

No I2S audio DAC has the following in the Audio info:
Decoded to:      0 bps
Destination:      Local
Output rate:      0 bps
DSP operations
Volume ctl:      Disabled (100% volume is output by MPD)
Resampling:      24 bit, 192 kHz, Stereo (SoX very high quality)
Polarity inv:      off
Crossfade:      off
Crossfeed:      off
Parametric EQ:      off
Graphic EQ:      off
Replaygain:      off
Normalize vol:      off
Chip options:      None
Audio Device
Device:      On-board audio device
Chip:      Broadcom SoC
Interface:      SOC
Formats:      U8, S16_LE
Platform:      Pi-3B 1GB v1.2

When I add Hifiberry DAC+ Pro I get the following changes in audio info:
Chip options:      FIR interpolation with de-emphasis, Gain=0dB, Boost=0dB
Audio Device
Device:      HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro
Chip:      Burr Brown PCM5122
Interface:      I2S
Formats:      cat: /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params: No such file or directory

pi@moode:/var/log/mpd $ dmesg | grep hifiberry
[    6.816423] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus socConfusedound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered - will retry
[    6.824268] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus socConfusedound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry

pi@moode:/var/log/mpd $ lsmod | grep hifi
snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus    16384  0
snd_soc_core          192512  3 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus,snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s
snd_pcm               102400  5 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus,snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s,snd_soc_core
clk_hifiberry_dacpro    16384  0

pi@moode:/var/log/mpd $ sudo aplay -l
aplay: device_list:272: no soundcards found...

Messages In This Thread
Failed to open "ALSA default" (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device "hw:0,0" - by gwurb - 03-27-2020, 02:12 AM