Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Will Moode work with my old dac?
(04-20-2020, 12:50 AM)setfan Wrote: Uh oh! Guys I need your help! In between posts I forgot that I had left my first generation Celeron NUC advertised for sale! And now a buyer has appeared!

What to do ?! - I can sell it for exactly what an RPi4 will cost - my real dilemma is how will my Celeron NUC with Daphile compare to an RPi4 with Moode (or Daphile) for audio quality?

Remembering that I will only be streaming audio (and will use my cd player in hifi system for the rest)

What would you do? Sell the NUC (as its an old first gen version anyway) and get the RPi4 - or should I withdraw the NUC from sale and try Daphile option first???

Is it a pretty close call as to which will likely sound better? In that case, its not such a big drama!!

I use both MoOde and Daphile (and others !) as I have many 'rescued' devices from op-shops, Goodwill ,Tip-shops, Dumps, Trash recyclers (take your pick according to geographical region Wink )
Daphile is handy for its ripping feature...and the LMS base means there are plenty of plugins add-ons and a wide selection of streams..... if you have a Logitech account.
That said... I prefer MPD for SQ and for that MoOde is the best player I have tried...and I have tried many  Wink 
MoOde also has a much more responsive forum and user base....(peripheral hardware is much more likely to have an active user thread and subsequent addition to the MoOde O/S than I have found elsewhere.)

I have an HP thinclient (dual core 4GB ram 16 GB flash) with Daphile installed and use this with an external dvd drive to rip then send the ripped files to MoOde for playback.

If you do go the Pi4 route then get yourself an ArgonOne case...they really are the best thermal solution currently and used with MoOde are totally silent as their passive cooling is more than ample.

My Pi4 is a 4GB as I use it for many other tasks.... and I agree with Mike and others that the 3 series is the sweet spot for SQ, thermals, and features.

( I have a 3B Kali/Piano 2.1 that rates as #1SQ player and a 3B with Pi touch-screen for Family use, The Pi4 for testing and a 3B+ for Libre-Elec and testing..... and several Pi2 as I really really like them for not having all the WiFi and Bluetooth gubbins...and a handful of PiB original single core boards for Radio use only...Smile )

See this thread for how wonderful a PiB can still be..Lol..
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...0#pid18860

Bob.

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2227
----------
bob

Messages In This Thread
Will Moode work with my old dac? - by setfan - 04-19-2020, 04:30 AM
RE: Will Moode work with my old dac? - by setfan - 04-19-2020, 06:41 AM
RE: Will Moode work with my old dac? - by setfan - 04-19-2020, 01:08 PM
RE: Will Moode work with my old dac? - by setfan - 04-20-2020, 12:50 AM
RE: Will Moode work with my old dac? - by DRONE7 - 04-20-2020, 07:11 AM