Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Backup and restore configuration across versions
Tim, thanks for that detailed and well thought out reply.

I wasn't really trying to restart the topic, but I did want to clear up some confusion with regards to what I was proposing (a separate, text-based settings file rather than backing up a series of potentially incompatible system files).

The only way that I could see this working is to utilize version numbers.  So if you imported settings from 6.3.0 into 6.4.0, then the 6.4.0 import function would see something like "Settings File Version: 6.3.0" in the uploaded file and know that some parameters could not be imported or would need to be modified by the import process.  It might even spit out something generic like "Some settings could not be imported. Please review and correct all settings prior to restarting moOde."  Then people could complain about not being told which settings.  
Smile

I'd also expect it to refuse to even try to import settings from a later version into an earlier one (for obvious reasons).

I know that you used the examples of 6.3.0 and 6.4.0 to illustrate your point, but I want to make sure that others don't think we are talking about retrofitting the feature into those older versions.

I understand why you aren't ready to jump on this undertaking and make it a priority or even committing to ever doing anything like it.  That's cool.  Just setting the record straight with regards to what looked like another poster misunderstanding my proposal.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess

Messages In This Thread
RE: Backup and restore configuration across versions - by Miss Sissy Princess - 07-22-2020, 10:12 PM