Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Wifi connection issues
(07-18-2020, 11:38 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The RESET button sets the Ethernet config to DHCP (no static IP address entries) and it sets the WiFi config to "None (activates AP mode)". it's a throw back to the early days of moOde and I should probably get rid of it.

Your issue "I have recently found that most of the time (all of the time?) if I choose my home 5ghz radio,  vs my 2.4ghz,  it works." suggests some sort of interference in the 2.4 GHz band, maybe on channel 6 which AP Mode is set to by default.

You might try changing the channel to 1 or 11.

A good util for getting a sense of your wireless environment is the WiFi Explorer app. Below are some screenies showing the horror in my own surrounding area :-0 WiFi Explorer is running on my iMac in the Study.

You can see the challenge for my 2.5GHz WLAN (AirnetN2). It's slow and problematic due to the high number of competing networks that have relatively high signal strength. My 5GHz WLAN (AirnetN5) on the other hand works really well because there is much less interference from other 5GHz WLAN's. Part of the issue with my 2.4GHz band is the location of my Router which I haven't gotten around to moving to central location yet.

OK, was wondering if it might do more to reset everything back to basic eth only...  sounds like it's no different than no SSID.

Yeah, you have a really busy neighborhood.  Mine's nowhere near that bad.  Though, I'll rescan,  been a bit since the last check, could be new stuff out there now.  I use WifiAnalyzer on Android,  (watch out, several by that name, icon is green circle with waves)  a rather nice example of a wifi monitoring tool.  EVERYONE should have one of these, to map out which channel is your best choice.  Seems you can't trust routers to autoselect  the best one,  most are notorious for failing that task.  And, check periodically,  for changes.  I don't have playing issues with my Pi 3b that only has a 2.4ghz radio, so I'm not expecting that to be the reason,  but will check. 

Again, I don't have issues getting AP mode connections from the player (172.24.1.1), that's another sign the radio CAN work, the issue is switching over to my LAN AP and the net.

It's late, so I'll get to Kent's questions later, and after gathering some info...

Messages In This Thread
Wifi connection issues - by JonPike - 07-16-2020, 06:02 AM
RE: Wifi connection issues - by TheOldPresbyope - 07-16-2020, 01:10 PM
RE: Wifi connection issues - by JonPike - 07-18-2020, 10:25 PM
RE: Wifi connection issues - by JonPike - 07-16-2020, 03:39 PM
RE: Wifi connection issues - by Tim Curtis - 07-18-2020, 11:38 PM
RE: Wifi connection issues - by JonPike - 07-21-2020, 05:59 AM
RE: Wifi connection issues - by TheOldPresbyope - 07-19-2020, 02:28 AM