Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Troubles with cheap SATA to USB adaptor.
rikardo1979
(11-23-2018, 06:50 AM)superpat Wrote: Hi
That's not a M.2 adaptor.
It also has an external 5V power connection my m.2 to usb3 adaptor is bus powered

Sorry, my bad. I have overlooked the 'M.2'. But anyway, I use it without external PSU, so its powered just through USB from Pi and also to mention it has a same JMicron chipset

Hi All,

Many thanks to you all for  taking the time to reply to my problem.

I have vanished completely  down the rabbit hole now!  Curiouser and curiouser.

I set up a completely separate second Raspberry Pi 3B v1.2 system, using the latest Moode 4.3 dis.  Powered it from a meaty home brew linear ps (it will give 5A), connected it to gpios. set the input volts to 5.2V at the Gpio pins

Added the usb3 disk adaptor to the pi's usb. NOTE No other usb connection! Headless only  no pi display.  Self powered  Dac connected by jumpers to i2S Gpios

The usb ssd would not attach on this completely separate system!   Dmesg repeatedly called out connection errors PLUS an occasional red error saying power low and pi firmware speed limited.

Put my USB  checker dongle on of the spare usb sockets on the pi, measured VDC = 4.4v to 4.65V jittering   !!!!!!

At this point I  started to believe the ssd and /or the dongle were knackered, so  I dug out an Odroid XU4 that has Ubuntu on it.  Eventually found the Odroid 4a ps, booted it up and connected the "problem" USB3  ssd to the Odroid's  USB3 port.  It mounted with NO errors, it took about thirty seconds to catalogue  the media,( 275Gb) and list in in a directory.  It has been running for three hours playing jazz from the ssd on VLC, output over the hdmi monitor I attached.  

It has not dropped, detached or stuttered all afternoon.  Absolutely b****y fine. Unmounting the drive,  Pulling out the usb cable and reinserting  picks up fine,   no errors at all

BTW,  Both pi's run fine on  Moode AND a USB2 2TB WD spinning platter hard drive, that is USB bus powered

Why is  the Raspberry pi 3B v1.2 such a problem connecting to the Startech or the cheap no name M.2 to USB3  adaptor.

The raspberry pi foundation are very coy about releasing the full schematics for the Raspberry pi.  They have released partial Schematics, that very inconveniently do not show the usb circuitry.

One thing that it may be is that a 1TB SSD may require a BIG inrush current to get all the silicon fed at switch on,  and there is not enough capacitance on the 5v  to 3.3 v power supply in the adaptor to satisfy this inrush. This results in the PI trying to deliver a current beyond  its usb capability, and sets up this failing oscillation.  I measured the USB running current to the ssd adaptor to be about 240mA, but I have no idea what a fast inrush spike may be.   I could put my scope on it, but I am losing too  much time playing with this! Her indoors wants our lounge decorated by Christmas!

I don't want to, but I suppose the next step is to interpose a powered usb hub between the ssd and the raspberry.  I have a hub in a junk box somewhere,  have to spend a happy Sunday out in the garage scrabbbling for it

I wish Moode supported processors other than the Raspberry pi.

regards

P

Messages In This Thread
RE: Troubles with cheap SATA to USB adaptor. - by superpat - 11-24-2018, 04:25 PM