The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.34 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Enabling write access to external HDD (in: /media/SYSTEM)?
Hello,

I cannot for the life of me, figure out why my external hard drive is not allowing me (or any user, other than root) direct write access via its mount point (/media/SYSTEM).
I know that I am allowed to write to it over Windows via the samba share - that is fine, but for what I mean to do now, is not enough.

Explanation: I've installed Transmission to be able to download music directly into my HDD (via its own web interface). But that isn't working, because the /media/SYSTEM mount point is owned solely by the root user and I cannot change anything (even with sudo). So I've created a new folder in /mnt for downloading content, which is fine as far as Transmission goes. But then again, can't move that content to the external disk because of permission issues.

E.g., trying to change permissions to that directory:
pi@moode:~ $ sudo chown pi:pi * /media/SYSTEM
chown: changing ownership of '/media/SYSTEM': Operation not permitted

Then:
pi@moode:~ $ sudo su
root@moode:/home/pi# chown pi:pi * /media/SYSTEM
chown: changing ownership of '/media/SYSTEM': Operation not permitted
(No avail.)

root@moode:/home/pi# chmod -R 757 /media/SYSTEM
(Still nothing.)

How can I go about achieving that? i.e.: Can I enable the /media/SYSTEM mount point at boot to be more flexible (ideally)? If so, how? If not, then how can I go around that issue?

I'm not a total noob, but admit that I feel powerless when facing these silly *nix permission issues. Really frustrating not having access to my own stuff inside moOde.
BTW, I'm posting a short video of the moOde unit that I've built, featuring a custom 20x4 LCD display, LIRC control, TTS (all installed & programmed by myself) and even a nifty (and somewhat dodgy) spectrum analyser:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQ6JSW4qQ7Da3LQh6

Wishing all a Happy Christmas.

Messages In This Thread
Enabling write access to external HDD (in: /media/SYSTEM)? - by wmoecke - 12-24-2018, 06:31 PM