Thank you for your donation!

Ta ta for now + powering your Pi and DAC
Thumbs Down 
Dear Tim,

I am sad to say that I will be leaving the Mo0de family, at least for a while. At this point in the development cycle Mo0de is simply not stable enough for my needs. I think that you have an excellent project, but it requires too much time and effort for me. If I may make a suggestion? I think that you should devote one entire development cycle to code review and stability. I know feature progress is always exciting and satisfying, but you need a rock-solid foundation to build your dream streamer on.

On my way out I would like to offer a little back: I agree with Larry Moore about the use of a switching mode power supply for the Pi and a linear power supply for the DAC. For the smps I find that a Jameco 5-volt, 3-amp unit is particularly well suited to power the Pi. It is quite solidly built and has sufficient capacity to handle surge needs. Link below. However, the real problem child is usually the power cable. The wire in most USB cables is simply too thin to handle the current needs of the Pi. A standard cable is usually 28 AWG (American wire gauge), which can carry a maximum of about an amp and a half. That is wholely inadequate. I suggest using 24 gauge wire, which can handle 3.5 amps, or better yet 22 gauge which can handle 7 amps or so. In my work I like to have approximately 2x capacity. Finally heartily I agree with Larry on using the GPIO pins to power the Pi and the USB C connector on the DAC to power it. I built a quiet/clean 5 volt linear supply using a 7805 regulator for the DAC, which works well and sounds great. For that I use a fast charge USB C cable, which works fine. (The newer fast-charge cables usually use 24 AWG wire.)

https://www.jameco.com/z/RS-15-5-MEAN-WE...19043.html

Finally, to heep your properly powered Pi from throttling itself, a little heat sink on the cpu and and/or a tiny fan  is very helpful.

Sorry to be stepping off the train, but at the moment I simply do not have the time that is required to run Mo0de.

I wish you all the very best and hope to see you on the flip slide,

John

PS The pic is a Pi, sans its DAC, powered with the Jameco supply. 22 AWG wire is used to connect the supply to the GPIO pins.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wink See you soon
(03-31-2019, 03:37 PM)Listener Wrote: Dear Tim,

I am sad to say that I will be leaving the Mo0de family, at least for a while. At this point in the development cycle Mo0de is simply not stable enough for my needs. .....................etc...................... For the smps I find that a Jameco 5-volt, 3-amp unit is particularly well suited to power the Pi. It is quite solidly built and has sufficient capacity to handle surge needs...................etc.................  Finally heartily I agree with Larry on using the GPIO pins to power the Pi and the USB C connector on the DAC to power it. I built a quiet/clean 5 volt linear supply using a 7805 regulator for the DAC, which works well and sounds great...........................................etc.....................
John

Good luck in your search of a stable software player... One is entitled to look for nothing but the best !!!       

A few points, if I may:
- I hope you realise that you forego the RPi power feed protection by using the GPIO pins
- the MeanWell SMPS is not a JAMECO made as such but a recognised and well-received Chinese manufacturer's product
- a linear PSU unit based on a 7805 regulator for the DAC is not very 'clean and quiet'
For complete thermal control use a real heatsink.. Big Grin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9_GlqRRs0s)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Built-...0010.m2109

Then there is the mega super ott version...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Metal-Armor-...SwBlRcb3KH
(04-01-2019, 06:07 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: A few points, if I may:
- I hope you realise that you forego the RPi power feed protection by using the GPIO pins
- the MeanWell SMPS is not a JAMECO made as such but a recognised and well-received Chinese manufacturer's product
- a linear PSU unit based on a 7805 regulator for the DAC is not very 'clean and quiet'

1. Indeed, and that may be a good thing as some see that protection as a source of noise.
2. i do understand that Jameco is only the seller.
3. I take several steps to assure that my linear PS is "clean and quiet" the most important of which are probably input noise suppression and CLC filtering.

Thanks for your comments,

John
I recently tried out the 5.n series of moOde and find it to be a big improvement, much more stable and usable. Congrats, very nice.

I have had one crash that corrupted a microSD card so that it can no longer be formatted correctly. I am willing to contribute it for forensic analysis if that would be helpful. Just give me an address and I will send it.

I am in the midst of building an integrated solution. An 6N1P / EL34 single-ended amp with an Rpi running moOde mounted on the top front. All pi connections are done from the bottom of the board resulting in a very nice streamer/amp package. The only external connections will be a mains plug and a pair of speaker terminals. I am thinking of adding a small touch-screen panel on top of the pi for control. Any display suggestions most welcome.

Best, John
(05-19-2019, 03:13 PM)Listener Wrote: I recently tried out the 5.n series of moOde and find it to be a big improvement, much more stable and usable. Congrats, very nice.

Best, John

Surprised you came back so soon. Mind listing the other players you tried in the meantime and your experience?
(06-09-2019, 12:56 PM)Edward Wrote: Surprised you came back so soon. Mind listing the other players you tried in the meantime and your experience?

moOde was always my first choice so I monitored what was going on. Here are some notes.

I tried, and liked, Volumio, which could still be a fallback for me.

I also tried mpd direct, but I missed a richer ui/ux.

Since moOde still struggles with large collections I am using it as a upnp end point for foobar2000, a combo that works extremely well and that I like a lot.

While I was at it I tried a HifiBerry DAC, the Pro +, which I like nearly as well as the Allo Boss.

I have nearly finished an integrated rpi/moOde single-ended el84 amp, which sounded terrific when bread boarded. Pics of the integrated amp as soon as it is finished. I plan to showcase this amp at the European Triode Festival this fall.

I have had one sd corruption incident in the meanwhile. I suspect that logging to a usb drive instead of the sd card might be a solution. I did install a shutdown script, button, and led, which I think is a very good idea.

The meanwell smps for the pi and a home brew linear supply for the dac seem to be the perfect way to go.

I will start a separate thread about security, which I think is a MAJOR issue.

Best regards to all,

john
(06-23-2019, 02:26 PM)Listener Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 12:56 PM)Edward Wrote: Surprised you came back so soon. Mind listing the other players you tried in the meantime and your experience?

moOde was always my first choice so I monitored what was going on. Here are some notes.

I tried, and liked, Volumio, which could still be a fallback for me.

I also tried mpd direct, but I missed a richer ui/ux.

Since moOde still struggles with large collections I am using it as a upnp end point for foobar2000, a combo that works extremely well and that I like a lot.

While I was at it I tried a HifiBerry DAC, the Pro +, which I like nearly as well as the Allo Boss.

I have nearly finished an integrated rpi/moOde single-ended el84 amp, which sounded terrific when bread boarded. Pics of the integrated amp as soon as it is finished. I plan to showcase this amp at the European Triode Festival this fall.

I have had one sd corruption incident in the meanwhile. I suspect that logging to a usb drive instead of the sd card might be a solution. I did install a shutdown script, button, and led, which I think is a very good idea.

The meanwell smps for the pi and a home brew linear supply for the dac seem to be the perfect way to go.

I will start a separate thread about security, which I think is a MAJOR issue.

Best regards to all,

john

Hi John

Thanks for the reply.....interesting.