Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Rapsberry Pi 4
(06-24-2019, 07:39 AM)Malefoda Wrote: Maybe this one can be used as a daily family computer on raspbian. RPi 3 is sluggish...
But IRL, what moOde needs to be at its 100%, a Pi Zero, a Pi 2? In other words, will you gain anything from the Pi4 for moOde?

Ethernet and USB speed should be a lot better but realistically moode isn’t usually asking the Pi to do too much so I’m not sure this will be a must have upgrade. I ordered a 4gb model anyway though.
(06-24-2019, 07:48 AM)stosoorok Wrote: The most important upgrade:

Quote:For example, Ethernet speed used to be hampered because its connection to the main SoC had to be through an on-PCB USB port. On the Pi 4, Broadcom’s BCM54213 Gigabit Ethernet PHY has appeared, connected at full bandwidth to a MAC on the BCM2711 via a dedicated RGMII interface.

For the first time on a Pi, two USB 3 connectors have appeared, attached to the main SoC via a single lane of PCI Express – so the total user port count is now two USB 2 and two USB 3.

No more shared USB/LAN. 

Thats interesting. I agree it's a very important hardware improvement. It should make it possible to send all those crazy high DSD rates to a USB DAC.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-24-2019, 11:05 AM)swizzle Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 07:39 AM)Malefoda Wrote: Maybe this one can be used as a daily family computer on raspbian. RPi 3 is sluggish...
But IRL, what moOde needs to be at its 100%, a Pi Zero, a Pi 2? In other words, will you gain anything from the Pi4 for moOde?

Ethernet and USB speed should be a lot better but realistically moode isn’t usually asking the Pi to do too much so I’m not sure this will be a must have upgrade. I ordered a 4gb model anyway though.

4GB was sold out when I pre-ordered from Chicago Electronics so I opted for the 2GB model + one of the stock Pi4 PSU's :-)
Enjoy the Music!
(06-24-2019, 02:06 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Thats interesting. I agree it's a very important hardware improvement. It should make it possible to send all those crazy high DSD rates to a USB DAC.

and this...

Quote:The most important new features are the faster processor and GPU, more and faster RAM, the addition of USB 3 ports, dual micro HDMI ports instead of a single HDMI connection and support for 4K output. The higher bus speed that enables USB 3 support also allows the  on-board Ethernet port to support true Gigabit connections (125 MBps) where the last-gen models had a theoretical maximum of just 41 MBps. The microSD card slot is also twice as fast, offering a theoretical maximum of 50 MBps versus 25 MBps on the 3B+.

should solve some sd card glitches

Tim, I see that the Pi4 will be using Buster..... does that entail a version upgrade ?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ras...,6193.html
----------
bob
Yes, upcoming moOde 5.4 will be based on Buster :-) but it may be an image-only release due to the nature of the changes in Buster. There might also be a moOde 5.3.1 -> 5.3.2 in-place update so that the new features, updates and fixes can be available to Stretch based moOde 5.3.1. Depends on how much time is available.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(06-24-2019, 10:23 AM)yannig Wrote:

with big librairies, sure it will !

(06-24-2019, 11:05 AM)swizzle Wrote: Ethernet and USB speed should be a lot better but realistically moode isn’t usually asking the Pi to do too much so I’m not sure this will be a must have upgrade. I ordered a 4gb model anyway though.

AFAIU it's a twofold story:

• interfaces upgrade: one may ask himself if he uses USB3, Ethernet or WiFi in his audio setup. A kind of "the only right RPi" for an USB DAC user. On the contrary one with say a RPi2, only Ethernet access to audio files/streams (100mbps is more than enough for audio purpose, isn't it?) has no point in upgrading to RPi4.

• a computing upgrade: to keep up with moOde itself, GUI, EQs and such, when the Pi Zero is already sweating with moOde 5.x... and big libraries (when is a library big for moOde to handle? Around 25.000 tracks* here, no problem at all on a Pi2).

* any way to have simple library stats in moOde like number of tracks & album?
Number of tracks is already displayed in Library Tag view but there is a TODO item to include the output from the command below somewhere in the UI. I just don't know where to put it yet.

Any thoughts?

Code:
pi@rp3:~ $ mpc stats
Artists:    453
Albums:     457
Songs:     4462

Play Time:    0 days, 9:27:14
Uptime:       0 days, 15:47:27
DB Updated:   Fri Jun 21 16:12:38 2019
DB Play Time: 14 days, 5:54:50
Enjoy the Music!
Maybe just an extra "Library Info" in the "m"oOde menu, under the Audio Info when in library view. Or something like that?
Add the number of radios and that's enough infos.
Oops I'm leading you OOT Wink

[Image: Infos.jpg]
Lightbulb 
My son has just ordered his Pi 4 with 4 Gig ram. I'll update you all what it's like after I wrench it from his cold, dead hands.... Angel Tongue
(06-24-2019, 10:23 AM)yannig Wrote:

with big librairies, sure it will !

I have something like 140K tracks for 11K volumes and 11K hours of music. If a pi4 can create the pages to be rendered by the browser faster, it’ll be great win