Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

strange pb : (only) one folder is not seen on USB drive.
Hello

from 2 days, moOde doesn't not see one folder on my attached USB drive (among many other, around 1TB data).

What is strange is this same folder is recognized when I copy it on my NAS.

I tried (on USB drive) to change folder name, and files, metadata names, and another format (Alac and Flac).

still not seen.

But I can see strange files on the USB drive

Any idea ?

What I can do/try to understand this ?
(08-09-2019, 08:38 AM)yannig Wrote: Hello

from 2 days, moOde doesn't not see one folder on my attached USB drive (among many other, around 1TB data).

I tried (on USB drive) to change folder name, and files, metadata names, and another format (Alac and Flac).

still not seen.

Any idea ?

[Note: the words directory and folder mean the same thing and I may not be consistent in using them]

Caveat: That ".HFS+ Private Directory Data" folder suggests to me your disk contains a Mac HFS+ filesystem.  I know nothing about this filesystem type, but since no else has answered....

What do you mean "still not seen"? Are you saying the directory doesn't show up in the Library view of the moOde UI? The only folders which show up there have been found by MPD to contain recognizable music tracks during its scan to generate its database (which I assume is why you are seeming those "strange" directories.) 

A few possibilities off the top of my head

1- an illegal Linux directory name - MPD can't read it. This seems to be ruled out by your test copying it to your NAS (but how did you copy it?)
2- wrong Linux permissions on the directory - MPD can't read its contents. This might or might not have been ruled out by the above test (but again, how did you copy it?)
3- corrupt track metadata - MPD hangs. This seems to be ruled out by the above test
(4- no recognizable music tracks in the directory - it's implied in your problem statement that there are music tracks in it.)

On item 2, merely changing the names of the directory or the files it contains doesn't necessarily change the permissions. When you said you copied the directory to your NAS, I assume you did this using an account on another computer, and the permissions may be ok for that account.

Do you see any telltale indications in the moOde log?

Are you comfortable ssh'ing into your moOde player and working from the command line? If so, you can look at the names and permissions of the "missing" directory and any directories above it. USB drives mount under /media in the moOde filesystem.

Example:

I just plugged in a USB thumb drive (tagged KAR04). It contains one music track in its root directory and a number of tracks in the directory "examFiles".

Code:
pi@moode6b:/media $ ls -l
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 32768 Dec 31  1969 KAR04

pi@moode6b:/media/KAR04 $ ls -l
total 672
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 609932 Dec 30  2018  BachCPE_SonataAmin_1.wma
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  32768 Oct 31  2018  examFiles
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  32768 Oct 19  2018 'System Volume Information'

pi@moode6b:/media/KAR04 $ ls -l examFiles
total 973088
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25869578 Jul  8  2018 'Adamo - Les Filles du bord de mer.flac'
...lots more...

The permissions are those columns on the left containing combinations of drwx-. For ease of use irrespective of directory/file ownership and group membership, the directories and files in an MPD path should have read permissions for all (e.g., three 'r's: r--r--r--). All the music tracks on this drive are visible to my moOde player.

What do you see on your drive?

Regards,
Kent
The annoying dot files are created by Mac OS X. They are called Resource Fork files, and did I mention that they are really annoying, lol. I delete them via command line script but I'm sure there are Mac utilities that can do same. Maybe try searching in the App store.

Whenever an album fails to show up in the Library try the following to help troubleshoot.

1. Open Library Config and either Update or Re-gen the MPD database.
2. From SSH examine the MPD log for errors

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I clear the dot files by plugging the USB drive into my Mac and typing
dot_clean
in a Terminal window, followed by a space. Then drag the folder you want to clean into the terminal window. The path to the folder will appear and then you can enter the command. Annoyance gone!
Woah, I didn't know that util existed! How nice :-)

LT1:~ Lt1user$ which dot_clean
/usr/sbin/dot_clean
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks for your responses, I will try !

But I'll try moOde 6.0 before (and perhaps I'll not need it)...
(08-09-2019, 11:58 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(08-09-2019, 08:38 AM)yannig Wrote: Hello

still not seen.

Any idea ?

[Note: the words directory and folder mean the same thing and I may not be consistent in using them]

Caveat: That ".HFS+ Private Directory Data" folder suggests to me your disk contains a Mac HFS+ filesystem.  I know nothing about this filesystem type, but since no else has answered....

What do you mean "still not seen"? Are you saying the directory doesn't show up in the Library view of the moOde UI? The only folders which show up there have been found by MPD to contain recognizable music tracks during its scan to generate its database (which I assume is why you are seeming those "strange" directories.) 

A few possibilities off the top of my head

1- an illegal Linux directory name - MPD can't read it. This seems to be ruled out by your test copying it to your NAS (but how did you copy it?)
2- wrong Linux permissions on the directory - MPD can't read its contents. This might or might not have been ruled out by the above test (but again, how did you copy it?)
3- corrupt track metadata - MPD hangs. This seems to be ruled out by the above test
(4- no recognizable music tracks in the directory - it's implied in your problem statement that there are music tracks in it.)

On item 2, merely changing the names of the directory or the files it contains doesn't necessarily change the permissions. When you said you copied the directory to your NAS, I assume you did this using an account on another computer, and the permissions may be ok for that account.

Do you see any telltale indications in the moOde log?

Are you comfortable ssh'ing into your moOde player and working from the command line? If so, you can look at the names and permissions of the "missing" directory and any directories above it. USB drives mount under /media in the moOde filesystem.

Example:

I just plugged in a USB thumb drive (tagged KAR04). It contains one music track in its root directory and a number of tracks in the directory "examFiles".

Code:
pi@moode6b:/media $ ls -l
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 32768 Dec 31  1969 KAR04

pi@moode6b:/media/KAR04 $ ls -l
total 672
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 609932 Dec 30  2018  BachCPE_SonataAmin_1.wma
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  32768 Oct 31  2018  examFiles
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  32768 Oct 19  2018 'System Volume Information'

pi@moode6b:/media/KAR04 $ ls -l examFiles
total 973088
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25869578 Jul  8  2018 'Adamo - Les Filles du bord de mer.flac'
...lots more...

The permissions are those columns on the left containing combinations of drwx-. For ease of use irrespective of directory/file ownership and group membership, the directories and files in an MPD path should have read permissions for all (e.g., three 'r's: r--r--r--). All the music tracks on this drive are visible to my moOde player.

What do you see on your drive?

Regards,
Kent
I just installed moOde 6.0

And I tried jonners solution.
strange folders and files no longer appear, but my disappeared music folder remains disappeared.

And I just looked at the permissions, and bingo !
all folders indicate "drwxrwxrwx" except "my" folder which indicates "drwx------"

I really do not know how I did that, at first I just want to compare a recording from local USB and from NAS (via WIFI), and the recording was on the USB drive since several mouths (or years).

Thanks to you !
Cue Queen.

(Thump, thump, thump) Another one bites the dust  Tongue