Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Qobuz UPNP 24bit 192khz?
I recently tried playing a 24bit 192khz track using the Qobuz UPNP feature, without any luck. I have been using UPNP with Qobuz through moOde on my Rasberry Pi 3B+ Allo Digione Signature playing up to 24 bit 96khz flawlessly. I'm using BubbleUPNP as control point. If I try streaming from BubbleUPNP's Qobuz cloud library function, I am able to play 24bit 192khz to the MoOde renderer. 

Is there a resolution limitation with UPNP Qobuz in moOde (using MoOde as both library and renderer) ?
It is actually limited by Qobuz plug-in. Format id 7 supports FLAC upto 24bit 96khz. Qobuz API itself, actually supports resolutions higher than that (format id 27).
https://github.com/Qobuz/api-documentati...ailability

But current qobuz plugin of upmpdcli (the underlying library of that provides UPNP on MPD & naturally Moode Audio) support only single mode. If you select FLAC (loseless) in moode.audio configuration, this is set as format id 7.

I have not tried this, but due to this, blindly changing the file format id at configuration file /etc/upmpdcli.conf qobuzformatid = 7, to, qobuzformatid = 27 wouldn't work. To really support resolutions higher than 96khz, the upmpdcli qobuz plug-in first need to check the metadata of an album to check it format, and switch the format to 27. e.g. this seems to be a new feature to be implemented for the plug-in. Not sure who is maintaining this plug-in.

But you might want to try this out (directly changing format id to 27), and at least checking that 192k level album on your qobuz might play correctly.
(08-10-2019, 08:04 AM)gilnoh Wrote: It is actually limited by Qobuz plug-in. Format id 7 supports FLAC upto 24bit 96khz. Qobuz API itself, actually supports resolutions higher than that (format id 27).
https://github.com/Qobuz/api-documentati...ailability

But current qobuz plugin of upmpdcli (the underlying library of that provides UPNP on MPD & naturally Moode Audio) support only single mode. If you select FLAC (loseless) in moode.audio configuration, this is set as format id 7.

I have not tried this, but due to this, blindly changing the file format id at configuration file /etc/upmpdcli.conf qobuzformatid = 7, to, qobuzformatid = 27 wouldn't work. To really support resolutions higher than 96khz, the upmpdcli qobuz plug-in first need to check the metadata of an album to check it format, and switch the format to 27. e.g. this seems to be a new feature to be implemented for the plug-in. Not sure who is maintaining this plug-in.

But you might want to try this out (directly changing format id to 27), and at least checking that 192k level album on your qobuz might play correctly.

Can people actually hear the difference between 24bit 96Khz & 192 Khz?
(08-10-2019, 10:59 AM)grasshopper Wrote: Can people actually hear the difference between 24bit 96Khz & 192 Khz?

I highly doubt that. Me personally? never. I wasn't even able to pass anything over 24bit 44.1khz in blind AB tests. Thus for me, 24bit 96khz is already an overkill. Although I do have subscription of Qobuz sublime+.

But well, if your DAC supports higher rates such as 192khz or 384khz, and your data source is coming with that much data, it is also humane (?) to expect your systems to work exactly with those data and in that resolution. I mean, why not? :-)
Oh, I was wrong. You can easily make your Qobuz plug-in to support resolutions up to 192khz.
Visit the following file:
> /etc/upmpdcli.conf
With an editor (you need sudo / root), edit the following line:
> qobuzformatid = 7
to
> qobuzformatid = 27

The API documentation of Qobuz says
- Format id 7: <= 96khz
- Format id 27: 96khz >, and <= 192khz.

Set file format id to 27, will make the plug-in to request streams with highest available resolution (format id 27). If this higher resolution is not available (say, only 96khz available), format id 27 will automatically revert back to id 7, and will stream 96khz, or 44.1 (or whatever highest available).

I've tested this with my Qobuz sublime+ and some albums I could stream with > 96khz in Qobuz, such as
https://play.qobuz.com/album/brwgocorx6p7a

(... I don't think I will ever hear the differences, but seeing my DAC light up to report it is playing fat stream of 176.4khz or 192khz .... makes me somehow feeling justified to pay a bit of extra euros for Qobuz sublime ... )
It's a trivial change to replace 7 with 27 in the code. I'll include it in an upcoming update.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-11-2019, 01:18 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: It's a trivial change to replace 7 with 27 in the code. I'll include it in an upcoming update.

Great! I was about to write adding this as two menus in config as "feature request".
- FLAC up to 96khz (format id 7)
- FLAC up to 192khz (format id 27)

(Be able to select either of them would be nice!)
If 27 does the automatic fallback to 7 wouldn't it be simpler to just use only 27 ?

The menu item would still just be "Lossless (FLAC)"
Enjoy the Music!
(08-11-2019, 01:27 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If 27 does the automatic fallback to 7 wouldn't it be simpler to just use only 27 ?

The menu item would still just be "Lossless (FLAC)"

Ah, I see your point. You are absolutely right that it is simpler. However, my rationals were something like this:
- 24bit / 192khz can takes up to 5Mbits/sec, while 96khz only 2.5Mbits. If someone running on a limited bandwidth (okay, rare but), he/she might want to limit it to 96khz for bandwidth.
- (Maybe an issue, if DAC do not automatically handles this) In case a DAC only supports up to 96khz (e.g. Dragonfly Black), when we don't want to do re-sampling.
- (Not important but) Similar behavior to Qobuz default app: Official app let the users select "streaming quality" such as, 1) mp3, 2) CD (16bit) 44.1 3) up to 96khz, 4) up to 192khz. and so on. So such selection would look familiar to any Qobuz user.
Ok, that makes sense. I'll add the two entries as you described in earlier post :-)
Enjoy the Music!