Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

linear power...stunned!
Un***believable !  
This power supply has elevated the Raspberry Pi to a goto device...I am staggered at the improvements wrought.... everything,  yes every little thing has lost it's digital smear and glare and this rivals some of my best analogue experiences .... Smile Wink

Currently experimenting on a Pi2B and moOde 5.4  because it seemed the most smokeable if there was a fault in my build....even though I had tested and retested....so didn't expect much of a difference but ..... jaw dropping!

Would not ever, not now, not ever, no never, return to a Pi official power supply or other smps...
Best investment ahead of all the new Pi and DACs and reclockers etc etc ever.

Oh, and did I say I like it Big Grin 

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-su...apter.html
----------
bob
(08-23-2019, 08:40 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Un***believable !  
This power supply has elevated the Raspberry Pi to a goto device...I am staggered at the improvements wrought.... everything,  yes every little thing has lost it's digital smear and glare and this rivals some of my best analogue experiences .... Smile Wink

Currently experimenting on a Pi2B and moOde 5.4  because it seemed the most smokeable if there was a fault in my build....even though I had tested and retested....so didn't expect much of a difference but ..... jaw dropping!

Would not ever, not now, not ever, no never, return to a Pi official power supply or other smps...

"...the most smokeable..." LOL!

What DAC are you using and how is it powered vis-a-vis the RPi?

Regards,
Kent
Ah yes, the old “Linear vs. SMPS” issue...........

I’m not going to get into that debate, but instead throw in .....”Batteries, or even......”.

So we start with:
RPI3+AlloDigiSignature+Moode into a Naim nDAC/XPS and then into a full-fat Naim active system.

The RPi/ADS needs two supplies; so started with RPi Official PSU (SMPS) and battery pack. Sounding good!

Then replaced the RPi PSU with an Ifi wall wart. OK, maybe slightly better, but.........

Then I got a loaner “super capacitor PSU” (Cuinas Audio ISO-PS) on home demo and ran the RPi & ADS solely from the twin +5V outputs of the ISO-PS.

Then I bought the ISO-PS (about 200 quid).

Better still, with a tightly regulated power supply there's no reason not to bypass the switching regulator on the RPi board by connecting to power via the GPIO rather than the USB micro B port.

However you lose smokability protection there, anything much over 5.1 volts (if I recall) and you'll have smoked the ole' 2B through the GPIO.

Pin 2 or 4 + GND if I'm not mistaken.
(08-24-2019, 05:17 AM)MikeyFresh Wrote: Better still, with a tightly regulated power supply there's no reason not to bypass the switching regulator on the RPi board by connecting to power via the GPIO rather than the USB micro B port.

However you lose smokability protection there, anything much over 5.1 volts (if I recall) and you'll have smoked the ole' 2B through the GPIO.

Pin 2 or 4 + GND if I'm not mistaken.

Which is, I believe, what the Allo Digione Signature does.

Hi,
Did you build on a breadboard or a pcb?
Richard.
Hi Richard,
I ordered boards from the group buy over at DIY-audio
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-bu...board.html
I think another gb is about to start....
----------
bob
(08-24-2019, 06:56 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: Hi Richard,
I ordered boards from the group buy over at DIY-audio
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-bu...board.html
I think another gb is about to start....

Thanks Bob,
Looks like there's a wait list for the next GB. From the photos it looks like a very nicely laid out and fabricated pcb.
Regards,
Richard.
The consensus over at DIY-audio is that the boards are superb ! Add to that the comprehensive BOM and build guide.. Smile  and the help thread.

I bought 2 ...one for the Pi and another to power a Thinclient (I have a sub-woofer power supply that will give 20v@6.4A so I could replace a 65W smps )...... though as they are instantly configurable by jumper I may have to try the second on my Piano DAC.

Here is the current build...I put the caps below the board for thermal isolation, better heatsink airflow, and access to the fuse. Transformer is something from a yard sale...possibly ancient train set ? edit "Parmeko", seems it is a high quality heater tranny for valve amplifier... but has 8v (actually 8.93v) and 6v taps at 8A ! output.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

----------
bob
+1 for your antique switch :-)
 :@