Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

RPi3B+ and Allo Boss 1.2 = no WiFi
Am I really the only person with this issue? 

I'm running Moode 4.3 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with an Allo Boss DAC 1.2. 
I can't use the Pi headless like that because neither my smartphone nor my tablet detect the Moode AP unless I disconnect the Boss DAC HAT. 

I got a replacement Boss DAC 1.2 thinking the first one may have been defective, since my Pi3B+ had a really hard time initializing it (it often failed to show two lit green LEDs and I got the 'Failed to find ALSA device' error). The replacement initialized, displayed two green LEDs and plays sound just fine, but the Moode AP still will not operate with the Boss DAC 1.2 connected. 

I got a 5VDC 4A power supply. I never see the Pi's power LED go dark anymore, but that still did not get the Moode AP working. 

I have an older (original) version Boss DAC, and the Moode AP works with that older version Boss DAC installed on the Pi3B+. 

I subsequently purchased a Topping D10 USB DAC, removed the Boss DAC 1.2 and installed the Topping DAC instead. Now the Moode AP is visible to my phone and Moode works headless. 

That tells me the problem is with the Boss DAC 1.2 (later version) in this setup. 

Is there anyone else who has encountered this problem? 
Is anyone out there successfully using Moode + Allo Boss DAC 1.2 headless? 
--
Hello RonGon,

You are not the only one.

I did not realize it, but after I have installed the allo boss dac recently, my AP no longer works. (which I don't need in my set-up)

Regards, Herman
Thanks Herman. Good to know.

I bought a Topping D10 USB DAC to use with the Pi for headless operation. Eventually I'll add a USB wifi adapter to the Pi and try again with the Boss DAC.

--
(12-06-2019, 01:25 PM)rongon Wrote: Thanks Herman. Good to know.

I bought a Topping D10 USB DAC to use with the Pi for headless operation. Eventually I'll add a USB wifi adapter to the Pi and try again with the Boss DAC.

--

It may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. For me the advantage of an onboard WiFi transceiver has to be balanced against the problems of possible RF interference with a DAC hat, of encasing the RPi (metal cases effectively block the signal) and of poor antenna placement in a cabinet full of cables. You may find a USB WiFi adapter on the end of a short USB cable an improvement.

And, wow, I did not know of the Topping D10 until you mentioned it. The specs are impressive and the price looks unbeatable. I love the case and retro display. I wish they made a matching blank case I could use with it.

Regards,
Kent
(10-12-2019, 10:44 PM)rongon Wrote: Is there anyone else who has encountered this problem? 
Is anyone out there successfully using Moode + Allo Boss DAC 1.2 headless? 

I have an Allo Boss 1.2 fitted to my Pi in the Allo Boss aluminum case and not seen those issues. This Pi's normally connected to Powerline Ethernet but it's had no problem with Wi-Fi when I've tried it other than my WiFi signal being weak in that room, hence the Ethernet.

Coincidentally I'm currently waiting for my Topping D50s to arrive so looking forward to that.
(10-12-2019, 10:44 PM)rongon Wrote: .............. snip ..............................

I'm running Moode 4.3 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with an Allo Boss DAC 1.2. I can't use the Pi headless like that because neither my smartphone nor my tablet detect the Moode AP unless I disconnect the Boss DAC HAT. I got a replacement Boss DAC 1.2 thinking the first one may have been defective.................. snip ....................... I got a 5VDC 4A power supply................................... snip .......................... I subsequently purchased a Topping D10 USB DAC, removed the Boss DAC 1.2 and installed the Topping DAC instead. Now the Moode AP is visible to my phone and Moode works headless. That tells me the problem is with the Boss DAC 1.2 (later version) in this setup............... snip..............

After using two ALLO BOSS v1.2 HAT DACs with the same RPi unit the suspicion would normally fall upon the Allo BOSS v1.2 HAT DAC v1.2 for acting like a Faraday cage of sorts BUT @vinnn' s previous post appear to negate this conclusion (albeit without any detail on what RPi model and MoOde version)...

Still... have you tried:
- running the RPI+HAT DAC combo out of ANY enclosure
- a newer, say, the latest MoOde version (v 4.4 is based on an old Raspbian version)
- (ultimately) an addon USB WiFi device

I would understand if you'd rather not carry on further testing as you are now happily using an USB DAC.
(12-09-2019, 06:52 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 10:44 PM)rongon Wrote: .............. snip ..............................

I'm running Moode 4.3 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with an Allo Boss DAC 1.2. I can't use the Pi headless like that because neither my smartphone nor my tablet detect the Moode AP unless I disconnect the Boss DAC HAT. I got a replacement Boss DAC 1.2 thinking the first one may have been defective.................. snip ....................... I got a 5VDC 4A power supply................................... snip .......................... I subsequently purchased a Topping D10 USB DAC, removed the Boss DAC 1.2 and installed the Topping DAC instead. Now the Moode AP is visible to my phone and Moode works headless. That tells me the problem is with the Boss DAC 1.2 (later version) in this setup............... snip..............

After using two ALLO BOSS v1.2 HAT DACs with the same RPi unit the suspicion would normally fall upon the Allo BOSS v1.2 HAT DAC v1.2 for acting like a Faraday cage of sorts BUT @vinnn' s previous post appear to negate this conclusion (albeit without any detail on what RPi model and MoOde version)...

Still... have you tried:
- running the RPI+HAT DAC combo out of ANY enclosure
- a newer, say, the latest MoOde version (v 4.4 is based on an old Raspbian version)
- (ultimately) an addon USB WiFi device

I would understand if you'd rather not carry on further testing as you are now happily using an USB DAC.

To update this (2 and a half years later!) -- No, I never was able to get the RPi3+ built in WiFi working with the Allo Boss v1.2 installed. 
The RPi is naked, no enclosure, so an enclosure blocking transmission/reception is not the issue.

Also, the troubleshooting involved two different Raspberry Pi boards -- one RPi3B, the other an RPi3B+. 
Neither RPi can work as a headless AP if the Allo Boss v1.2 is installed. Both work as headless AP if the older Allo Boss v1 is installed. 

I'm currently using the RPi3B+ with Allo Boss v1.2 connecting to my router through Ethernet, and accessing it through the home network instead of using it as a wireless AP. Of course my phone is a Samsung, so it can only access //moode.local/ if I give the Samsung phone the actual IP address -- even though the phone is running Android 12. But that's another story....
My 3B+ / Boss 1.2 works fine over WiFi.

Do you mean Access Point (AP) mode is not working or WiFi not working?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub