Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Sinology reconnect
@pisuke74

Wait. UPnP and SMB (Samba) are two different technologies.

You led with the statement that your NAS is configured "as UPnP" [sic]. Is your NAS also configured to be a Samba server at the time you run the smbtree test? If not, it's a null test.

as for your symptoms. Is the NAS truly "disappearing" or is the moOde MPD database scan simply stopping prematurely? I note your statement that "via smb it's mounted at restart.. but only with 2 folder scanned." This can be a symptom of MPD falling over when it hits a problem directory.

I don't own any Synology gear but I figured out how to spin up a copy of their DSM software on a virtual host last year when several users were having problems. moOde worked perfectly well with it and I was unable to repro their reported issues. 

I'll bring it back up this evening to test whether recent changes in moOde have inadvertently introduced a failure mode. Candidly, I don't expect to discover anything but I'll do the test just in case. 

Regards,
Kent
@pisuke74

<tl;dr --- my up-to-date moOde player and my virtual Synology NAS work fine together>

So I spun up my virtual Synology DS3615xs NAS this evening. It's Synology's DiskStation Manager software version DSM 6.1-15047 running in Oracle VirtualBox on a Linux host.

I created a shared folder named "Music" and copied several albums into it. I enabled SMB service and gave read-only access privilege to user "guest". On my RPi4 running moOde 6.3.0 (hostname: moOdeLR) we get this result:

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ sudo smbtree -N -b
WORKGROUP
    \\T520                   T520 server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        \\T520\L-R-EPSON-WF-3620    EPSON WF-3620 Series
        \\T520\HP-ENVY-7640-series    HP ENVY 7640 series
        \\T520\HL5450DN           HL5450DN
        \\T520\IPC$               IPC Service (T520 server (Samba, Ubuntu))
        \\T520\print$             Printer Drivers
    \\OMV-HC1                omv-hc1 server
        \\OMV-HC1\IPC$               IPC Service (omv-hc1 server)
        \\OMV-HC1\Music              
        \\OMV-HC1\Test               
    \\MOODELR                moOde SMB Server
        \\MOODELR\IPC$               IPC Service (moOde SMB Server)
        \\MOODELR\HP4GB1             USB Storage
        \\MOODELR\MUSIC              USB Storage
        \\MOODELR\SDCard             SDCARD Storage
        \\MOODELR\Radio              RADIO Stations
        \\MOODELR\Playlists          Playlist Directory
        \\MOODELR\NAS                NAS Shares
    \\MOODE0W                moOde SMB Server
        \\MOODE0W\IPC$               IPC Service (moOde SMB Server)
        \\MOODE0W\SDCard             SDCARD Storage
        \\MOODE0W\Radio              RADIO Stations
        \\MOODE0W\Playlists          Playlist Directory
        \\MOODE0W\NAS                NAS Shares
    \\MOODE                  moOde SMB Server
        \\MOODE\IPC$               IPC Service (moOde SMB Server)
        \\MOODE\SDCard             SDCARD Storage
        \\MOODE\Radio              RADIO Stations
        \\MOODE\Playlists          Playlist Directory
        \\MOODE\NAS                NAS Shares
    \\KRYPTON                krypton server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        \\KRYPTON\Brother_HL_5450DN_series@BRN30055C149F5F.local    
        \\KRYPTON\HP_ENVY_7640_series_E9D11B_    HP_ENVY_7640_series_E9D11B_
        \\KRYPTON\Brother_HL_5450DN_series    Brother_HL_5450DN_series
        \\KRYPTON\HP_ENVY_7640_series_E9D11B_@HP5065F3E9D11B.local    
        \\KRYPTON\IPC$               IPC Service (krypton server (Samba, Ubuntu))
        \\KRYPTON\Pictures           
        \\KRYPTON\print$             Printer Drivers
    \\DS3615XS               
        \\DS3615XS\video              System default shared folder
        \\DS3615XS\photo              System default shared folder
        \\DS3615XS\IPC$               IPC Service ()
        \\DS3615XS\Music              my basic 3gb volume
pi@moodelr:~ $

Here you see various shares published by my Linux Mint laptop (T520), my Open Media vault NAS running on an Odroid HC1 (OMV-HC1), a number of moOde music players, my big-iron Linux server in the basement (KRYPTON), and finally my virtual Synology NAS (DS3615XS).

My moOde players have no difficulty discovering DS3615XS in a Samba scan, connecting to its Music share as user "guest", building their MPD databases, and playing selected tracks.

Since you mentioned UPnP, I also downloaded and installed the Synology Media Server package. DS3615xs then appeared among the UPnP services detected on my LAN using various diagnostic tools (such as gssdp-discover in Linux or the UPnP Tool app on my Android phone). 

Using the BubbleUPnP app on my Android phone as my UPnP control point, I selected DS3615xs as the media server (aka library) and my moOde player as the renderer (with the UPnP Renderer enabled in the player of course). I have no difficulty selecting and playing tracks from the Synology Media Server.

According to the DSM control panel, this virtual NAS has been up for 4+ hours now and I've experienced no glitches or disconnects.

Tim's already covered some basic diagnostics. I haven't been able to glean enough clues yet from your reports to be able to suggest more focused ones other than what I suggested in my previous post regarding problem directories/tracks. If indeed this is the root cause, it has to be fixed on the server end.

Regards,
Kent
I ve used 10.0.0.7/music when create a shared folder.. I think the problem is smb 1 2 or 3... I suspect the command line for mount the remote folder....
Thanks for complete test. It s strange that with command line the samba Isn t listed.. Can you make a screenshot of dsm configuration (control panel. Folder. Samba) in your vm?

https://imgur.com/a/k9bKPAf

https://imgur.com/a/Ew0dWbB
Sadly, I never learned Italian (well, except for ordering a "birra alla spina"; that's a necessity in every language!) so it took me a minute to be sure the screens are relatively the same in English and Italian. Bottom line: my settings are slightly more restrictive than yours. My SMB range is SMB1, SMB2. Other than that, we look the same.

https://i.imgur.com/LSMNCba

If moOde and your NAS couldn't agree a common SMB protocol version, then you wouldn't be able to connect at all---no green checkmark in the Library Config entry and an error message in /var/log/syslog.

Using the IP address in place of the hostname is not a problem; in fact entering this manually can a way to work around the fact that smbtee isn't discovering your NAS.

I'm curious whether you can connect directly with your NAS using smbclient, which is an FTP-like application. Here's an example of the dialog to list the directories in the Music share on my virtual NAS:

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ sudo smbclient //DS3615XS/Music
Enter WORKGROUP\root's password:        <<<=== same as pi's password
Try "help" to get a list of possible commands.
smb: \> ls
 .                                  DA        0  Sun May  5 22:54:28 2019
 ..                                 DA        0  Wed Oct 16 18:30:18 2019
 #recycle                          DAS        0  Sun May  5 22:58:03 2019
 Musical                            DA        0  Sat Apr 16 09:12:53 2016
 Jazz                               DA        0  Sun May  5 22:57:24 2019

3423932 blocks of size 1024. 2389956 blocks available
smb: \> quit

If you don't use sudo you'll get an informational "unable" message which can be ignored for this test.

Do you have any other hosts which support SMB/Samba to test with? My virtual NAS shows up as a Network resource in the Nemo file manager on my Linux Mint laptop, similarly as a Network resource on my partner's Windows 10 laptop, and also in various apps on my Android/iOS devices. 

Regards,
Kent
I have been using Synology DS415play and various moOde version since 2016.

SMB / samba has never worked - meaning the Synology SMB shared folder never shows up.
Up to moOde 4.4 I relied on NFS to connect to my NAS / music files. After v 4.4 NFS connection became a tedious and disappointing process. I have posted several times about this issue so I don't think it is necessary to go into all the details.

At the suggestion @TheOldPresbyope I expanded my horizons by learning how to create a SMB share on an extra RPI. Took sometime to figure because I had never done that from scratch. I bought a 2TB HDD and copied music files fron NAS to this drive. Had no issue seeing the SMB share on the external hdd. Music files can now be synched without all the mpdignore errors and I am running moOde 6.3. Next I plan to find some software that will back up the music files on the HDD to Synology NAS. Once all that is done I intend to hound Synology about what might be causing the mpdignore errors. Not holding my breadth up to now they just push it off to moOde and tell me they don't support 3rd party apps.

Anyone know of a good linux backup software?

Thank you Kent for the Pro Tip
Still don't understand what's happening with your Synology setup but I'm glad to hear you've successfully upped your game!

For others who may be interested in rolling their own NAS I just noticed that a recent MagPi issue has a HowTo article.

Regards,
Kent
Oh, and be sure to check out rsync as a possible backup solution.
(10-17-2019, 06:20 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: ..................... snip .........................................

For others who may be interested in rolling their own NAS I just noticed that a recent MagPi issue has a HowTo article.

Regards,
Kent

https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/b...rry-pi-nas
I took another route

https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspber...a-nas-box/