Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Wake up NAS by Moode
Hi,

I'm planning to buiid a NAS for my home in the next weeks. One possible solution is to use old hardware. Means no invest in new parts but higher energy consumption. This solution would only be interesting in case I can wake up (the mainboard supports WoL) by all clients. To avoid 24/7 energy wasting. So, the question to be answered: Can the Pi wake up my NAS automatically when I browse with moode within my music library?

BR
(12-27-2019, 09:37 PM)shitonthename Wrote: Hi,

I'm planning to buiid a NAS for my home in the next weeks. One possible solution is to use old hardware. Means no invest in new parts but higher energy consumption. This solution would only be interesting in case I can wake up (the mainboard supports WoL) by all clients. To avoid 24/7 energy wasting. So, the question to be answered: Can the Pi wake up my NAS automatically when I browse with moode within my music library?

BR

It is quite likely to work if the RPI (in 'inactive' state) gets 'started' (powered up)... and possibly when the RPi is in 'active' state and you select an album or a playlist from the MoOde library (the packets should awaken the NAS) with some delay.

(if my memory does not fail me) I believe that I've seen more than once the factory-made NAS (holding my music files, running 24/7 and connected to the network router via a simple 5-port switch) coming alive when I choose to play some files via MoOde (ON 24/7) after a long pause (overnight).

What is holding you to try it out anyway (you said you got the parts)...?

It is not going to work if the NAS OS is placed in a VM (Virtual Machine) run by a Server OS (whatever flavour)... meaning that the NAS Operating System of choice should be running on its own on the computer.

NOTE: I don't think that 'browsing' your library will have any effect as the library is residing on the RPi's uSD card... please observe my underlined entries in the notes above.

(a side) NOTE: found on Stack Exchange and pointing ONLY towards the RPi's WoL ability but it may be useful somehow <<  Wake-on-LAN support is implemented on the motherboard and network interface. WoL is an hardware feature that is not implemented on the Raspberry PI boards.

Same thing with USB: no wake up supported
Out-Of-The-Box Pi4 cannot be started by WOL
But you can add some third party hardware for power management that implement WoL.  >>
(12-28-2019, 07:07 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: What is holding you to try it out anyway (you said you got the parts)...?

It is not going to work if the NAS OS is placed in a VM (Virtual Machine) run by a Server OS (whatever flavour)... meaning that the NAS Operating System of choice should be running on its own on the computer.

just wanted to know whether wake up works before I spend time for installing and configuring the NAS... The NAS OS will be the only one on that computer.
@shitonthename

I've never used WoL but I thought that a magic packet containing the target host's MAC address has to be broadcast to trigger a WoL event (if just any old broadcast packet triggered wakeup, then no host would ever get to sleep).  

The Raspbian repo has at least two packages which can send the magic packet: etherwake and wakeonlan. Neither is installed in moOdeOS by default, so a little sudo apt-get install action would be required on your player. More to the point, I'm uncertain how either of these would be tied into the use of moOde with your NAS.

On the NAS end, you may need to do a little configuration as well, depending on the OS involved. You didn't mention what NAS software you intend to use. I expect search engines will be your friend. For example, I just found an entry on the Debian Wiki (Raspbian is based on Debian) which has some helpful details: WakeOnLan

These days it takes very little effort to spin up a NAS so like @CallMeMike I'd say just try it and see with a bare-bones configuration to avoid wasting effort if it doesn't pan out.

Just my two-cents worth. 

Regards,
Kent
Hi guys,

I gave it a try with OMV. I let the NAS go sleep into S3 and tried to select a track from my music library which is stored on the NAS. Moode fails to access it / NAS stays sleeping.

I installed wakeonlan and I can wake up the NAS from Moode Pi manually per SSH.

Remaining problem /question: How to autmate this when I select any NAS located track to be played ?

BR,
Michael
So, any ideas how to trigger a .sh script in which I say 'wakeonlan <mac_address>'? As the Pi for moOde is always on, the script shall not simply run during startup - it shall run always when moOde wants to access media which is stored on the NAS (in other words: when I want to playback something from the NAS). That would wake up my openmediavault based NAS which could then be created on old hardware - because it would sleep most of the time and doesn't waste energy.
Obiwan said "Use the force, Luke" but what he meant was "use your search engine."

The first hit I got with Google is this post on the Kodi forum: [HOWTO] Automatically wake NAS/server on playback rquest.

Regards,
Kent
(01-03-2020, 01:40 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Obiwan said "Use the force, Luke" but what he meant was "use your search engine."

The first hit I got with Google is this post on the Kodi forum: [HOWTO] Automatically wake NAS/server on playback rquest.

Regards,
Kent

Never met Obiwan. I guess thats the reason why I didnt't find that threat...or any others like this. However, thanks a lot and mtfbwy!
In above HowTo, autofs is used to atomatically wake up a NAS and mount a share to for example to \mnt\samba\music.

No, how to add this mount point to the library?

BR