Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Queue size affects now playing screen performance
My library around 5k tracks and I often listen them in "shuffle all" mode.
Of course I expect things to be slower with such amount of tracks, but with my Nexus 5 running chrome the now playing screen takes almost a minute to open, pretty unusable.
Is there any way to fix this? Maybe load the queue only when I scroll down to view it, so that switching between now playing and library remains quick?

moOde 6.4.0
(12-20-2019, 01:19 PM)waffle Wrote: My library around 5k tracks and I often listen them in "shuffle all" mode.
Of course I expect things to be slower with such amount of tracks, but with my Nexus 5 running chrome the now playing screen takes almost a minute to open, pretty unusable.
Is there any way to fix this? Maybe load the queue only when I scroll down to view it, so that switching between now playing and library remains quick?

moOde 6.4.0

Shuffle is not a feature I use. Maybe @swizzle can comment on specifics of the implementation.

I'm curious to know if you have any UI clients other than a 6-year old Android phone you can compare performance with? (As an aside, the Nexus 5 was released with Android 4.4. What version Android are you running? Another poster has an issue with Android and the moOde UI that your response could help answer.)

Regards,
Kent
(12-20-2019, 05:51 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Shuffle is not a feature I use. Maybe @swizzle can comment on specifics of the implementation.
It doesn't matter whether the shuffle option is on or off, it's all about the amount of tracks in the queue.

(12-20-2019, 05:51 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I'm curious to know if you have any UI clients other than a 6-year old Android phone you can compare performance with?
Not really. I have a couple newer devices, but they are less powerful than nexus 5 and it takes even longer for them to load that screen..
My PC opens it in about 8 seconds which is tolerable.

(12-20-2019, 05:51 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: What version Android are you running?
Hey Waffle, I'll also add that the responsiveness of the web interface is very much  down to the performance of the computer running the web browser. The more content rendered on the page, the more the web browser has to compute before the page is updated.

It is going to be related to the single threaded performance of the hardware running the browser.
Either try to avoid going to the now playing screen when you got a big playlist going or consider getting something faster to run the browser on like a newer, faster Android tablet or small laptop.

To compare for you, I've tested adding one genre of about 6550 tracks in my collection to the playlist and opening the now playing screen...
* On a Huawei Mediapad T3 10 with just a 1.4GHz quad core CPU it took 25 seconds to render the screen with that list in the Samsung Internet web browser based on Chromium.
* On my Samsung Galaxy S9 with a Octa-Core 2.8GHz + 1.7GHz processor running the same browser it took 6 seconds.
* On a 6 year old laptop with a 2GHz Core i7 mobile processor running Firefox on Linux it took barely a second.
@vinnn Yeah, I know that it's caused by hardware performance.
Thanks for testing it with your devices. It's interesting that Huawei T3 opened it so fast. I would expect snapdragon 800 to be faster than 435 (or at least as fast) even though it's older.
I'll try to test more devices and scenarios in future & report back here.
(12-21-2019, 12:21 AM)waffle Wrote: @vinnn Yeah, I know that it's caused by hardware performance.
Thanks for testing it with your devices. It's interesting that Huawei T3 opened it so fast. I would expect snapdragon 800 to be faster than 435 (or at least as fast) even though it's older.
I'll try to test more devices and scenarios in future & report back here.

Another thing, you could also use an mpd client on your phone like mpdroid instead of the web interface. It wont be heavy on the processor, it just won't be quite as featureful.
Sooo, here's an update. I assumed that browser performance is negligible compared to hardware performance in this situation and I was wrong.
I have Moode web UI as a Chrome shortcut on my home screen, that's what I usually use to view it. Today I randomly opened it with my daily driver, Kiwi browser (Chrome clone with more customization), and I noticed that the now playing screen loaded much faster! I decided to test a bunch of browsers and here are the results:
Chrome - 50s
Kiwi - 19s
Samsung browser - 15s
Jelly - 17s (stock browser for LOS ROM I use)
Dolphin - 17s
Firefox - 5s (Winner!)
Opera - 50s + an annoying "tab not responding" popup window (Loser)
I tested each browser multiple times and the loading times were very consistent.

That said, I still think that if there are a lot of tracks in the queue it should only be loaded when you try to view it. Now playing screen is the most used part of web ui for some users and waiting 10s for it to load can be annoying. I'm not trying to complain here, I don't use web UI that much anymore. I just think will make Moode a better experience and is worthy to be somewhere on a to-do list Smile

(12-21-2019, 12:42 AM)vinnn Wrote: Another thing, you could also use an mpd client on your phone like mpdroid instead of the web interface. It wont be heavy on the processor, it just won't be quite as featureful.
Thanks for the tip btw, I've been using MPDroid since and it works great
True about browser speed, Firefox's main issue is the inability to do full screen sessions. Annoying as, as you reminded me, it's usually the fastest at rendering but I can't deal with my control surface having big fat tab & address bars at the top making everything else smaller.
Thus I've settled on the Samsung Browser just because it's been the fastest of the bunch that does full screen sessions.
If u want random play through your collection then try turning on the Auto-shuffle option in Audio Config. It adds only 2 tracks to the Playlist. There is also an Auto-shuffle filter in the Appearance screen.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
The reason for lag here is similar to my last message: large lists are something browsers tend to struggle with. This is compounded by moode adding & removing the list from the dom when switching different views, when this is small it’s nbd but when it’s larger it can lock up the ui. There’s an upcoming patch that greatly improves how moode works with a large playlists but no eta for when that’ll land.

As for the list in question 5k tracks shouldn’t be a problem but browser and device performance will ultimately determine how usable you find the interface. On my devices (iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro) with the newer code I can tap the moode cover in tag view and use clear/play without too much fuss (it really only loads around the first 10k tracks for some reason, mpd itself is limited to 16384 items).