Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Upcoming moOde 6.5.0
Yes it appears these timers trigger unattended apt-get update and apt-get upgrade :-0 No sysadmin in their right mind would have these enabled on any production Linux system.

The obvious issues for moOde with auto-upgrades are breakage caused by failed upgrades or upgrades that result in changes to certain core packages for example PHP that break moOde dependencies.

Code:
pi@rp3:~ $ cat /lib/systemd/system/apt-daily-upgrade.service
pi@rp3:~ $ cat /usr/lib/apt/apt.systemd.daily

from apt-daily-upgrade.service
Code:
ExecStart=/usr/lib/apt/apt.systemd.daily install

from apt.systemd.daily
Code:
if [ "$1" = "install" ] || [ -z "$1" ] ; then
   # auto upgrade all upgradeable packages
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Curious.

When I just tried a dry-run upgrade on a 6.4.2 player, apt-get reports a ton of packages, which suggests to me that it isn't being run unattended.

Code:
pi@moodevu:~ $ sudo apt-get -s upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
 libgl1-mesa-dri mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers raspi-config
The following packages will be upgraded:
 base-files chromium-browser chromium-browser-l10n chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra e2fsprogs ffmpeg git
 git-man libavcodec-dev libavcodec58 libavdevice58 libavfilter7 libavformat-dev libavformat58
 libavresample4 libavutil-dev libavutil56 libboost-atomic1.67.0 libboost-iostreams1.67.0
 libboost-regex1.67.0 libboost-system1.67.0 libboost-thread1.67.0 libcom-err2 libcups2 libdrm-amdgpu1
 libdrm-common libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libegl-mesa0 libegl1 libegl1-mesa libexif12
 libext2fs2 libgbm1 libgl1 libglapi-mesa libgles2 libglvnd0 libglx-mesa0 libglx0 libgnutls-dane0
 libgnutls-openssl27 libgnutls28-dev libgnutls30 libgnutlsxx28 libidn2-0 libidn2-dev libmysofa0 libnss3
 libopenjp2-7 libpam-systemd libpostproc55 libpython3.7 libpython3.7-dev libpython3.7-minimal
 libpython3.7-stdlib libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0 libsasl2-2
 libsasl2-modules-db libss2 libssl-dev libssl1.1 libswresample-dev libswresample3 libswscale5
 libsystemd-dev libsystemd0 libtiff5 libtimedate-perl libudev-dev libudev1 libvpx5 openssh-client
 openssh-server openssh-sftp-server openssl php7.3-cli php7.3-common php7.3-fpm php7.3-gd php7.3-json
 php7.3-opcache php7.3-readline php7.3-sqlite3 python-apt-common python3-apt python3.7 python3.7-dev
 python3.7-minimal raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images ssh sudo systemd
 systemd-sysv udev x11-xserver-utils
103 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

In any case, it shouldn't be run unattended so grab a pair of pliers and crush those timers Smile

Regards,
Kent
Oddly my experience has been the same. I don't recall any of my systems automatically upgrading even though the systemd code suggests that it actually will automatically run apt-get upgrade. Maybe there are other conditions that have to be met other than just the timer checking every day.
Enjoy the Music!
For me the upgrade timer does nothing really (as it does not upgrade pkg) since the configuration file is missing from /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/

Quick test: With sudo /usr/lib/apt/apt.systemd.daily install cmd, the script exit here (line 428):

Code:
# check if we actually have to do anything that requires locking the cache
if [ $UpdateInterval = always ] ||
   [ $DownloadUpgradeableInterval = always ] ||
   [ $UnattendedUpgradeInterval = always ] ||
   [ $BackupArchiveInterval = always ] ||
   [ $AutocleanInterval = always ] ||
   [ $CleanInterval = always ] ; then
    :
elif [ $UpdateInterval -eq 0 ] &&
     [ $DownloadUpgradeableInterval -eq 0 ] &&
     [ $UnattendedUpgradeInterval -eq 0 ] &&
     [ $BackupArchiveInterval -eq 0 ] &&
     [ $AutocleanInterval -eq 0 ] &&
     [ $CleanInterval -eq 0 ] ; then

# check cache size
    check_size_constraints

exit 0

Before to do anything.
That explains it :-)
Enjoy the Music!
(03-03-2020, 05:45 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Oddly my experience has been the same. I don't recall any of my systems automatically upgrading even though the systemd code suggests that it actually will automatically run apt-get upgrade. Maybe there are other conditions that have to be met other than just the timer checking every day.

Auto-updating on the pi is a tad complicated.

To automatically update Raspbian on a schedule, follow these steps:

sudo apt install unattended-upgrades mailutils
sudo nano /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades

Edit to include these sources (remove all others)

Code:
"origin=Raspbian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Raspbian";
"origin=Raspberry Pi Foundation,codename=${distro_codename},label=Raspberry Pi Foundation";

and add

Code:
Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "true";

sudo nano /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades

Code:
APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";
APT::Periodic::Verbose "1";
APT::Periodic::AutocleanInterval "7";

To enable,

sudo dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low unattended-upgrades

To set the systemctl apt timer to fire at 2AM daily:

sudo systemctl unmask apt-daily-upgrade.timer
sudo systemctl edit apt-daily-upgrade.timer

Code:
[Timer]
OnCalendar=
# OnCalendar=DayOfWeek Year-Month-Day Hour:Minute:Second
# see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/Timers
OnCalendar=02:00
RandomizedDelaySec=0

To test,

sudo unattended-upgrade -d -v --dry-run

Cheers,

Phil

(03-06-2020, 04:10 AM)duracell80 Wrote: Just checking in, I'm safe. We had an EF-4 Tornado graze our subdivision, so yeah that bus almost hit me, but we have power back on now at least  Our city is devestated right now. But before this we've been preparing for the coronavirus.
Yikes. I'm relieved to hear it was "only" a near miss for you. I was born in a small town in southeastern Kansas, smack dab in Tornado Alley. I have an inkling what you are seeing and experiencing around you. Best of luck to you, your neighbors, your town.
Regards,
Kent
Is It possibile to try the 6.5.0 working progress?
Our project does not have the resources to do a public beta but I'll be posting some information on r650 in the coming days. We are working our way through a big upgrade to the the User Interface and the Library :-)
Enjoy the Music!
The moOde crew has made a lot of progress on r650 so I thought I'd post some screen shots. Compliments to @swizzle for truly wonderful contribution :-) and to the Comms Hub team for finding and fixing bugs, and for some nice feature contribs :-)

A few highlights:

- The "Update library" item on the main menu performs an MPD database update and then automatically runs the Thumbnail updater after the update completes
- Separate sorts for Tag and Album views
- Configurable extra metadata
- New look and feel for the UI

Enjoy the Music!