Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Ripped Vinyl Metadata
Your output shows that MPD database update did not pick up any tags from the wav file. YMMV with wav file tagging.

Here is example of curentsong output for one of my FLAC files.

Code:
pi@rp3:~ $ telnet localhost 6600
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
OK MPD 0.21.11
currentsong
file: NAS/Music/Meredith d'Ambrosio/South To A Warmer Place/06 My Inspiration.flac
Last-Modified: 2017-02-01T01:15:26Z
Title: My Inspiration
Artist: Meredith d'Ambrosio
Album: South To A Warmer Place
Genre: Jazz
Composer: Robert Haggart
AlbumArtist: Meredith d'Ambrosio
Track: 6
Disc: 1
Date: 1989
Time: 244
duration: 244.040
Pos: 64
Id: 65
OK
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Lttlwing16

Looks like the Wikipedia article's caveat applies. Apparently mediainfo can find the metadata where Kid3 stashed it in your file(s) but the MPD plugin can't.

Here's the MPD output while playing the .wav file I used as an example above (this time a test player with hostname moode3a):

Code:
pi@moode3a: $ telnet localhost 6600
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
OK MPD 0.21.11
currentsong
file: NAS/OMV-SMB/DBPowerAmp/Kronos Quartet/Night Prayers/04 John Sherba-Joan Jeanrenaud-David Harrington-Hank Dutt-Kronos Quartet - String Quartet No.4, with tape.wav
Last-Modified: 2017-08-31T18:04:08Z
Artist: John Sherba Joan Jeanrenaud David Harrington Hank Dutt Kronos Quartet
Album: Night Prayers
Title: String Quartet No.4, with tape
Track: 4
Genre: Chamber Music
Date: 1994
Time: 714
duration: 714.133
Pos: 47
Id: 48
OK

Both mediainfo and MPD found the metadata for this file.

I expect there are open-source RIFF file analyzers which could ferret out the difference in metadata location between my file and yours, but I don't have any.

In my case, I just rip everything to FLAC format, where the "L" stands for lossless. This file format has a well-defined location for metadata, stored as a VORBIS comment.

Regards,
Kent
@Lttlwing16

I did a deep dive into one of my tagged .wav files.

I first used the Linux strings command to extract sequences of 4 or more ASCII characters from the file and then did a little grep'ing through the result.

Turns out the metadata created by dBpoweramp are stored in an LIST_INFO chunk, just as the Wikipedia article suggests they should be. Here's a raw dump of the strings content of that chunk: 

Code:
LIST
INFOIPRD
Night Prayers
IARTF
John Sherba
Joan Jeanrenaud
David Harrington
Hank Dutt
Kronos Quartet
ISFT
dBpoweramp Release 15.3
IGNR
Chamber Music
TORG
Nonesuch
ISRF
CD (Lossless)
INAM
String Quartet No.4, with tape
ITRK
ICRD
id3
TIT2
TALB
Night Prayers
TENC
dBpoweramp Release 15.3
TPUB
Nonesuch
TSSE
-compression="PCM"
TMED
CD (Lossless)
TCON
Chamber Music
TCMP
TYER
TRCK
TPOS
TPE1
John Sherba/Joan Jeanrenaud/David Harrington/Hank Dutt/Kronos Quartet

What we see here are some RIFF INFO fields with ids such as IPRD and IARTF followed by ID3v2.3 fields with ids such as TIT2, etc.

It would seem that the MPD plugins are able to locate this chunk and use the information to populate its database for that track.

The fact that, in your case, mediainfo could find the metadata in your .wav file but MPD plugins couldn't suggests to me that Kid3 hung an ID3v2.3 tag ("tag" in the sense of the specification-defined block of metadata) somewhere else. I've seen a similar thing happen before with a misconfigured tag editor applied to a FLAC file.

Bottom line: WAV files can be tagged successfully for use in moOde but your issue suggests Kid3 isn't the right tool to do it (or at least wasn't configured to do so, if there are relevant configuration settings. Don't ask; I have no idea what/where).

Regards,
Kent
(03-23-2020, 02:40 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Lttlwing16

I did a deep dive into one of my tagged .wav files.

I first used the Linux strings command to extract sequences of 4 or more ASCII characters from the file and then did a little grep'ing through the result.

Turns out the metadata created by dBpoweramp are stored in an LIST_INFO chunk, just as the Wikipedia article suggests they should be. Here's a raw dump of the strings content of that chunk: 

Code:
LIST
INFOIPRD
Night Prayers
IARTF
John Sherba
Joan Jeanrenaud
David Harrington
Hank Dutt
Kronos Quartet
ISFT
dBpoweramp Release 15.3
IGNR
Chamber Music
TORG
Nonesuch
ISRF
CD (Lossless)
INAM
ITRK
ICRD
id3
TIT2
TALB
Night Prayers
TENC
dBpoweramp Release 15.3
TPUB
Nonesuch
TSSE
-compression="PCM"
TMED
CD (Lossless)
TCON
Chamber Music
TCMP
TYER
TRCK
TPOS
TPE1
John Sherba/Joan Jeanrenaud/David Harrington/Hank Dutt/Kronos Quartet

What we see here are some RIFF INFO fields with ids such as IPRD and IARTF followed by ID3v2.3 fields with ids such as TIT2, etc.

It would seem that the MPD plugins are able to locate this chunk and use the information to populate its database for that track.

The fact that, in your case, mediainfo could find the metadata in your .wav file but MPD plugins couldn't suggests to me that Kid3 hung an ID3v2.3 tag ("tag" in the sense of the specification-defined block of metadata) somewhere else. I've seen a similar thing happen before with a misconfigured tag editor applied to a FLAC file.

Bottom line: WAV files can be tagged successfully for use in moOde but your issue suggests Kid3 isn't the right tool to do it (or at least wasn't configured to do so, if there are relevant configuration settings. Don't ask; I have no idea what/where).

Regards,
Kent

Wow, thanks Kent for looking deeper. I think I'm just going to convert to FLAC as Tim suggested, save some disk space and have files with readily supported tags. The FLAC files should retain their 24bit/192k qualities if I choose and configure the converter correct.

FWIW I did read through the KID3 documentation and all it offers is an option to created the id3 chunks in lowercase, which apparently is what some players look for.
I have recorded and converted my vinyl to FLAC using Goldwave and tagged the files using MP3TAG, it all works fine, and saves at least a third of the space the WAV files would use. Worthwhile IMHO Smile.
I can report back, converting to FLAC did the trick.Both albums previously "unknown artist" appear properly tagged in Album view.
To borrow Tim's byline, "enjoy the music"  Smile