Thank you for your donation!

Please bring back the navigation bar at top 6.5
(04-29-2020, 12:40 PM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 10:18 PM)Drewt Wrote: The transition from playlist and back to the catalogue is not intuitive IMO.

I think, on a phone in portrait it actually makes a lot of sense, it is only in the landscape mode it seems a little odd, but still not a great deal of a thing to get used to.

I agree it isn't a big deal, but you can't get used to it if you don't know how to do it in the first place Smile

It is much better being able to hit the big album art to go back, it just needs a small indicator to say that you can do something with it Big Grin This could be turned off in the appearance menu if you don't like or don't need it any more.
(04-29-2020, 12:57 PM)smartroad Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 09:48 AM)vinnn Wrote: Personally I much prefer the new design, you have a much bigger area to tap to return back to browser mode that you don't need to think about it at all, instead of having to aim for a smaller on-screen element previously.
Also the headings at the top are much clearer to show where you are and the current sorting, great. I'll counter and ask to please don't consider changing it back.

The headings was not what I was thinking of when I wrote the initial post, I actually meant the bar as in my second post Smile

6.4 actually seemed to allow you to jump back by clicking on the album art (at least it did when I click it while I had it and a second machine I was upgrading), so the functionality has always been there? I think the issue is that the current method isn't intuitive, there is no visual clue that clicking on the album art will take you back. There is no indication that clicking on the album art will do anything. Even having the small bar at the top of the album art would give an indication that you can press there to do something.

I am all for the new method now that I understand I can do it. But coming to it fresh I had no immediate idea on how to get back and yes I know it is in the quick help now, but to be honest I shouldn't have to consult a help guide just to be able to go back to where I was. It (the album art) doesn't give any idea that it is an interactive element. Heck there is still the space at the top of the panel, there could be an invisible element that duplicates the same feature or an option in the Appearance menu to turn it on or off. Or a one time pop-up that appears when you first go into the Playback Panel advising that you need to click on the art to go back to the library view.

I'm just trying to play devils advocate and see it from the perspective of a new user or an upgrader like I was Big Grin

But the quick help clearly explains how to navigate Moode doesn't it?
I really don't want to add permanent buttons for switching between Playback and Library but there are two proposals from users that are interesting.

1. Display a first use screen which would essentially be Quick help with an option to "Never display again"
2. Display cue or help icons with popup "explains" on the non-obvious active elements and include an option in Appearance to turn them off.
Personally I think the quick help is very informative. When setting up initially I scratched my head missing the top bar until reading quick help and again when trying to turn the genres list off in the library.
My vote is to leave things as they are now, I'm more interested in what comes out of the speakers rather than the UI.
It needs to be obvious for new and occasional users, because if they can’t play the music it has failed. If that means having permanent buttons then permanent buttons it should be.
(04-30-2020, 06:44 AM)ICLlP Wrote: It needs to be obvious for new and occasional users, because if they can’t play the music it has failed. If that means having permanent buttons then permanent buttons it should be.
No one is born knowing how to use these things.  If no one showed you how to use a mouse, would you think of moving it to point at things on a screen?  So, it does not need to be obvious all the time, just possible for a new user to discover easily.  And so...
(04-29-2020, 11:08 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: 1. Display a first use screen which would essentially be Quick help with an option to "Never display again"
...gets my vote.
(04-29-2020, 06:52 PM)vinnn Wrote: But the quick help clearly explains how to navigate Moode doesn't it?

That assumes you know that there is a quick help (which is hidden behind another button that no longer indicates it is a button).

(04-30-2020, 05:55 AM)grasshopper Wrote: My vote is to leave things as they are now, I'm more interested in what comes out of the speakers rather than the UI.

(04-30-2020, 06:44 AM)ICLlP Wrote: It needs to be obvious for new and occasional users, because if they can’t play the music it has failed. If that means having permanent buttons then permanent buttons it should be.

Partly the point of this is as ICLIP says, it probably doesn't matter what comes out of the speakers if you can't get the UI to make it come out of the speakers.

It was a small grey bar that was reasonably unobtrusive but gave a big clue as to what it might do intuitively. Heck it could even be there and when you click on it, it pops up saying "actually press the album art to go back" and the turns off.

If nothing else I think it would be an idea that on first boot after install/upgrade, there could be a pop-up saying about the quick help in the "M" menu. Or as Tim suggests just pop up the quick help on first boot (with instructions on how to find it again  Wink ).
@smartroad..

Quote:If nothing else I think it would be an idea that on first boot after install/upgrade, there could be a pop-up saying about the quick help in the "M" menu. Or as Tim suggests just pop up the quick help on first boot (with instructions on how to find it again  [Image: wink.png] ).

Which is fine if you and you alone use the moOde box....however, many are set-up for use by family and guests and as such any pop-up or quick-help should persist until turned off (in Appearance menu ?) so all may see it when they access moOde.

My vote would be for...

Quote:2. Display cue or help icons with popup "explains" on the non-obvious active elements and include an option in Appearance to turn them off.

-Bob
(04-30-2020, 09:21 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Which is fine if you and you alone use the moOde box....however, many are set-up for use by family and guests and as such any pop-up or quick-help should persist until turned off (in Appearance menu ?) so all may see it when they access moOde.

Which is why I say "if nothing else" Big Grin In that instance though I would imagine the "owner" of the device might give instructions on how to use it. Either that or there would be the shout up the stairs 'asking' how this flamming thing works LOL
(04-30-2020, 08:58 AM)smartroad Wrote: That assumes you know that there is a quick help (which is hidden behind another button that no longer indicates it is a button).

Quick help is available from the main menu, as explained on the main download page.
I'm as guilty as anyone of diving in & not reading manuals but once it was obvious the UI had changed it was a simple process to get the information using the built in help, available from the longstanding main menu.